Start by marking “Type Matters!” as Want to Read:
Type Matters!

Type Matters!

Once upon a time, only typesetters needed to know about kerning, leading, ligatures, and hanging punctuation. Today, however, most of us work on computers, with access to hundreds of fonts, and we’d all like our letters, reports and other documents to look as good – and as readable – as possible. But what does all the confusing terminology about ink traps, letter spacing, ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Merrell Publishers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Type Matters!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type Matters!

Ryan
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Type Matters! was recommended on Facebook by one of my old college design instructors, so I picked it up. Although there are many competing typography basics books, I think this wonderfully fills a void in typographic education, reminding me of a cross between Ellon Lupton's fun and friendly Thinking With Type and Robert Bringhurst's dense and thorough The Elements of Typographic Style.

Williams manages to explain most of the key concepts in typography with brevity and beauty, giving the reader a
Bianca Woods
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a short book, but in that small amount of space it does a delightful job of summarizing the core aspects of typography. It's also absolutely stunning. Well worth picking up if this is a topic you're interested in understanding, although likely of less worth to experts.
Dominik
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very practical and useful introduction to typography. Anyone who isn't a trained graphic designer but does some creative work or text editing either as a hobby or as a favor to others should have read this first. I sure wished I had come across this book much earlier!

Too bad that there are still some errors in the translation in an otherwise very nicely produced book.
Phuc Pham
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maddison Holland
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books-read
Perfect for a refresher in typography basics. I learned a few new things, but mainly this book serves as a good reference book to find information quickly. The book is well-made and I enjoy leaving it out!
Marius Černuševičius
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading books to become a better designer, this one was recommended many people. And I have been designing things for some time, reminded myself old stuff with a different perspective on the experience I gained and learned a couple of new things.

Glad to have it in my library.
Brian
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent explanations, examples, and grounding.
Ozan Tortop
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book, with basics of typography. Not for designers, for people who type.
Kalin
Great reference for beginners, but only scratches the surface of type.
Hong Xuan
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clear and simple, straight to the point, great book
sonich
I learn new things everyday and today I learnt that there’s a thing called ‘Diphthongs’. I initially bought this book for the sake for letterings improvement, but it turned out that this book is nowhere near lettering. It’s helpful in editorial and book design, though. There were some things I knew, some things I didn't. I think it's a very useful book on a long run, where I can also come back and look at and it could still be helpful. But overall, I still was expecting MORE.
Mirna
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-books
The book had me at hello? The leather cover and the extra fine printing of the book captured my attention from the very first moment. As for content, the book is a perfect introductory level typography book and it gets you acquainted with the smallest details by giving simple and clear examples. I also like how the book stressed on showing the reader both the good and the bad so that he/she could see better because of the contrast. However, I still feel like there could've been more to the book ...more
Bill Lancaster
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
A very elementary book on typography, but very attractively designed and sturdily constructed book. If you are interested in learning some basics of type on your computer, this book would be an excellent start. But if you have dealt with type for some time or have already read comparable books, such as Erik Spiekermann's "Stop Stealing Sheep" then this book will probably not sustain your interest, short as it is.
Seth Watkins
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A little basic, but a very well illustrated review, and a book I might point someone to if they needed to polish their type skills. I would probably suggest Ellen Lupton's book, Thinking With Type, before this one, though, because it goes into everything in a way that helps a typographer make good decisions. Type Matters, in comparison to Lupton's book, could be considered more of a concise reference book.
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simple, straightforward (I know, I know, what trite words), and beautiful reference for designing with typography. If you are a just-give-me-the-strategy type person and prefer it in a concise (rudimentary), visual package—as a gorgeous tactile object to boot—get your hands on this guide right here! A fantastic book to keep by the desk.
Pannita
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found that most of the typography books are a bit too complicated but not for this one. The book is very easy to read and printed with clear black and red ink. I feel that i learn a lot from it. Highly recommended for basic typographers! Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Bill Wells
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is really more of a reference book, but it is something I can see adding to my library. There are so many things in here that I have forgotten over the years that are essential to good typography and even though I am now an engraver, they apply to any work with type. Very clear examples that would be useful to the novice or the old pro.
Declan
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Appropriate for quick reference but for a more substantial examination of typography I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Thinking with Type is a good entry point. That said it's still a quality book with some nice examples of good and bad typesetting.
andrea
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
te hace ver muchos problemas que capaz antes no notaste en las composiciones tipográficas, y sobretodo me encanto la lista de referencias de corrección de texto. definitivamente un libro para tener a mano
Meredith
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
A good gift book for someone just getting into the arena of newsletter or book publishing with everything to learn about typography. Lots of basics covered quickly.
Rohit Mahech
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A mandatory book for beginners in typography.
Sean Engelhardt
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good basic reference book for designers on how to use type correctly. Covers a pretty broad range of TYPE MATTERS, and they are always illustrated and explained very clearly and succinctly.
Overgroundrailroad
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Much red. Much black. Much type.
Mohamed
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book that explains the basics of typography. It is short, clear and easy to read. If you want to explore the world of typography in a fun and easy way then this will be a good start.
Kelly Li
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quick whirlwind tour of typographic basics. Succinct and efficient!
Afnan Aldimasi
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, favorites
I've been looking for a Typography book for beginners, and this is the one. Other than the fact that the book has all the basics clear and easy to understand, the design is beyond beautiful.
Suman Srivastava
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Fun book to read. Covers basics of typography that, sadly, today's young art directors don't know or completely ignore.
nick
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Great practical guide to the basics of typography. Very clear and easy to read. Beautifully presented book.
Andrew
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Useful introductory book on typography
Sam
Apr 24, 2018
  • Detail In Typography
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Type on Screen
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Form of the Book: Essays on the Morality of Good Design