Start by marking “Soup for One” as Want to Read:
Soup for One

Soup for One

Shoo, fly, shoo! One little fly thinks he’s getting a big bowl of hot soup all to himself. Little does he know, interlopers wait around every corner. Help him to count the unwelcome pals that join him for lunch—one after another after another—up to ten! Who will get the last slurp of soup? Does the ravenous chef have a chance against ten hungry flies? Or will the sneaky sp ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Running Press Kids (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Soup for One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soup for One

JR
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun book to teach your toddler counting.
Casandria
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The reader counts bugs as they find a waiting bowls of soup and join in a soup bath. It has a simple rhyme and a funny ending.
Counting
Numbers
Fiction State Of Mind
Sometimes you just need a little children's book in your life . This is a sweet little story about a bug who happens upon an unattended bowl of soup. The little bug thinks he's hit the jackpot but soon he finds his bowl overcrowded with others looking to share his meal. Really cute read with a fun ending!
This book fits #4 of Coyer Scavenger Hunt: read a book with something Red on it.
Amanda Alanis
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5360
A little fly is flying around a bowl of soup. Suddenly others come to join. Others who want to eat some soup surround this little fly. There is also a hungry spider. Children can help him count all the pals that want some soup. Who will eat the soup? Will it be the spider or the hungry flies?
Pam
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Counting book
Fly is enjoying a hot bowl of soup. He's joined by enough other flies to equal ten. Frog comes in and shoos them out so he can eat his soup. He then decides he wants dessert. While he chases the flies, spider enjoys - soup for one.
Diane
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
One fly tries to discourage the others from joining him in a bowl of soup. Keep your eye on the spider.
Rebecca Davis
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute story about counting bugs as the jump in the soup bowl. Keep an eye on the spider throughout the pages. I can see this working well in a storytime.
Heidi-Marie
This would be a fun book in a bug-themed storytime for both toddler and preschool. Could definitely make a cute feltboard story from it. And there is the counting aspect to include. All along I thought the spider was going to eat the bugs, so that ending was a twist for me.

10/7/13: This was perfect in Movement storytime. I had them looking for the spider on each page and counting the bugs with me. Went very well.
Angie
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fly finds an unattended bowl of soup and dives in. But he is soon joined by his fellow flies and his time alone is gone. He laments each addition to the bowl until lizard comes to reclaim his soup. And guess who gets the soup in the end?

So cute! Loved the expression on the fly's face each time he was joined by another. But I think the best was the spider lurking in the background.
Samantha
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A counting book about a fly that just wnats to enjoy a little soup solo. All sorts of insects fly into the soup bowl to share and when the lizard comes and swats the crowd away it is the spider who sneaks up that gets to enjoy the soup for one. Fun read aloud with art that combines illustrations with cut paper collage. I loved the texture the cut paper collage adds to the artwork.
Sandy Brehl
Rhymed counting text uses a real bowl of tomato soup being used as a hot tub by a series of bug-eyed bugs, the first of whom is very unwelcoming of the rest. They take off when lizard arrives, eats the soup, then chases the bugs for dessert. That allows a lurking spider to consume the last of the "Soup for one". Fun. Rereadable. Essential concepts and solid rhymes.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This is one of the best numbers picture books I have read. Count the flies as they disocer the soup they swim in through to be swatted off. Rhythmic and funny. This would make a great library storytime book.
Susan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute counting story. I read it at preschool storytime and the kids liked it. We did a craft with an empty soup bowl to color and a bunch of bugs to color, cut out and glue into the bowl. They loved that.
Brindi Michele
Fly tries to dine on tomato soup but his pals soon join in. The illustrations are what make this picture book. To say I'm not a fan of spiders is an understatement, but the illustrations and facial expressions are great...especially the endpapers.
Paula
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little fly who anticipates enjoying a big bowl of hot soup is unexpectedly joined by a sequence of interlopers who help themselves to his lunch one by one until their number reaches ten.
Shannon
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
It's not often that I wind up liking the book more at the end than I did at the start, but this counting book featuring a recurring hungry spider was just that. Put up with it for the ending. :-P
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am looking forward to using this for storytime someday! A fly is excited to have a bowl of soup all for himself... until another bug joins in... and another... and another... Very funny.
Sara
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a fun one for finding the spider!
Vrena
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful counting book! I love watching the spider through the pages.
Susan Foster
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clever counting book--also good for a "bugs" theme.
Robyn
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, funny
Short, funny story with great illustrations! My 6 year old was laughing hysterically at the silly pictures and the spider on each page in particular!
Stefani
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Fun, simple counting and rhyming book.
Becca
This is really cute - that spider surprised me!
Marissa Burkey
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great concept book for toddlers or preschool. Counting to 10, with rhymes along the way!
Fran
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-shelf
I love this book! You've got rhyme, counting, and it invites hunting for picture clues throughout.
Wendy Kuzma
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute rhymes. Great for toddler time.
Monica Williams
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute for those who like bugs.
Belle
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
So cute! Practices counting to ten and has awesome illustrations.
Jennifer Hess
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such a great counting book. I really loved the illustrations and the surprise at the end.
Amy
Apr 18, 2013 marked it as picture-books-read
Counting, bugs, and a lurking spider make this a great read-aloud. For my full review: http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2013/...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Animal Masquerade
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Count the Monkeys
  • One Pup's Up
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book
  • The Big Storm: A Very Soggy Counting Book
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Step Gently Out
Ethan Long is a popular, award-winning and internationally recognized children's book author and illustrator with over 70 children's books, a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award and an Emmy-nominated television series to his credit. Just about all of his awake time is spent writing stories, drawing pictures and spending time with his family. Since graduating from Ringling College of Art and Design in 1991, ...more