Start by marking “My People Are Rising: Memoir of a Black Panther Party Captain” as Want to Read:
My People Are Rising: Memoir of a Black Panther Party Captain

My People Are Rising: Memoir of a Black Panther Party Captain

In an era of stark racial injustice, Aaron Dixon dedicated his life to revolution, founding the Seattle chapter of the Black Panther Party in 1968 at age nineteen. In My People Are Rising, he traces the course of his own radicalization, and that of a generation. Through his eyes, we witness the courage and commitment of the young men and women who rose up in rebellion, ris ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by Haymarket Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My People Are Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My People Are Rising

Start your review of My People Are Rising: Memoir of a Black Panther Party Captain
Steve Griggs
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fascinating history of Seattle/Oakland civil rights struggle. I learned that Gary Hammon was teaching Aaron how to play saxophone.
Abby
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Dixon was one of the founders of the Seattle Black Panther Party chapter, the first BPP chapter to form outside California. He gives a frank and engaging account of his upbringing in Seattle and his years in the party from the early days of the Seattle chapter to the slow demise of the entire party. As a Seattle resident with a strong interest in local history, I found the chapters on his teenage years in Seattle and the beginning of the local chapter particularly intriguing. It provided real in ...more
Craig Seasholes
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I recall Aaron talking to kids at my school, saying"what we were doing felt like family. " his portrait shows the Panther family's ups and downs in a way that humanizes it, while bringing it all down to earth in a sad all too human conclusion.

Candy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting first hand account of the rise of the Black Panther Party. However, Dixon spends a lot of time name dropping different Panther names that have no real relevance to what he is trying to say.
Michael Boyte
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lenin is reported to have said that there are "Decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen." Aaron Dixon lived several lifetimes before he turned 30, in magnitude and importance. This memoir captures that momentous decade through every phase of the party, except the beginnings in Oakland: launching the Seattle Chapter, the "Free Huey' Movement, armed confrontation with the police, development of serve the people programs, the split with Eldridge Cleaver, the relocatio ...more
Antonia Mohamed
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Insight into the world of the B.P.P. This is a great read, engaging, thorough and and open book about one man's life, struggles and power within the party.
Senshin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took me forever getting through this. First half was great, second half not so much.
Mark Ballinger
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mark by: Abby
Shelves: shelf4, memoir
I totally enjoyed this memoir. Some parts were frustrating, but it never dragged.
April
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
What he says at the end, about the Black Panther Party being a beacon to unite people, is somewhat at odds with much of his description of day-to-day events in party life.The Panthers did many good things in communities, & built community wide solidarity. The descriptions of communication within the party worked sometimes, but often didn't happen. I believe, as Assata Shakur said in her book,that in order for an organization to be truly radical in it's politics, radical (happening on a regul ...more
Gurldoggie
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An open-eyed memoir of a man whose youthful passions revolved around armed revolution. A great look at the black panther movement from a foot soldier and true believer who was there from beginning to end. Worth reading by anyone interested in the radical solutions to societal ills that came about in the late 60s, and particularly interesting to anyone involved in community development struggles in Seattle.
Lee Gingras
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came across this book on a thread where people were arguing about Beyonce's Black Panther Superbowl backup dancers, which was a very happy accident. This is a great and interesting first-hand account of the Black Panther Party, as told by the Party Captain in Seattle. It's both local and national history of the Black Panther Party, and provides some needed historical context for the current epidemic of police shootings.
Frank Barat
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"My People Are Rising" is a must read for anyone interested in the story and the legacy of the Black Panther Party.
A profoundly humane and honest book about an internationalist, visionary and ahead of its time revolutionary movement.
Jessica
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although the writing wasn't entirely polished, I found this memoir immensely moving. It's also a pretty stunning piece of local history that's not taught in the typical high school class. Worth reading, for sure.
Dona Griner
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Karrie
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
one of the best books I have read on the Black Panthers.
Jordano

• King Leopold's Ghost
  • A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
  • The Shipwreck That Saved Jamestown: The Sea Venture Castaways and the Fate of America
  • Cold War Civil Rights: Race and the Image of American Democracy
  • Spies in Arabia: The Great War and the Cultural Foundations of Britain's Covert Empire in the Middle East
  • A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano
  • Coming of Age in Mississippi: The Classic Autobiography of a Young Black Girl in the Rural South
  • Cold War and the Color Line: American Race Relations in the Global Arena (Revised)
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson