Start by marking “Coppernickel Goes Mondrian” as Want to Read:
Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Mr. Quickstep, accompanied by his dog Foxtrot, is looking for the future. On the way, they meet up with Coppernickel and his dog Tungsten. Coppernickel says there’s no need to look for the future, as it will arrive anyway. Mr. Quickstep disagrees, for the future he’s after hasn't even been thought of yet. Left behind, Coppernickel worries that he will miss out if he doesn’ ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Coppernickel Goes Mondrian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

Slowrabbit
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it is no secret that i'm a bit stingy with 5 star ratings. normally i would have stopped at 4 here and called it a day. but when i looked at the other ratings and the dismissive reviews, i suddenly felt (feel, the book is actually still sitting right in front of me) really protective. so i've read through it 3 times now and i love it. part homage, part travel adventure story--the illustrations are great fun and fantastic and it ends with a "futuristic", art-making, dance party. what more could y ...more
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Robin Gibson
Awesome book introducing kids to the artistic style of Piet Mondrian (thinking-wise and illustration-wise) via a story of looking for the future. How deep is this thought?:

"There's no point in looking," says Coppernickel. "If you just wait, the future will arrive anyway."

"But if we stand around waiting, nothing will change," Mr. Quickstep replies. "Things will only get older. I'm looking for the new."

Includes a reproduction of "Broadway Boogie Woogie" and a hint of "Victory Boogie Woogie" (the u
Pam
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture, art
I loved this book! That said, I understand other people's confusion about this book and how to use it with children. The author's colorful and fun illustrations and text are not straight forward and require a knowledge of art that exceeds mine, however I did understand enough to find it a joy. Now I would like to read a biography on Mondrian so that I could come back to this book, re-read it and understand it more deeply. For parents, who love art and have studied it, I highly recommend this boo ...more
Esther
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ik was altijd al heel modern"
Jan
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have always appreciated the art of Piet Mondrian (1872-1944), so I picked up this picture book with great anticipation. While the illustrations are entertaining, I found the text baffling.

Mr. Quickstep is looking for the future. Coppernickel says if you just wait, it will arrive. Tungsten says, "We're on our way to pick fresh, new berries." Foxtrot says, "I can almost smell the future."

There is nothing in this opening that would give you any clue that Mr. Quickstep is an alias for Mondrian. Th
Steve H
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Impressive art work, but I think the story is a bit abstruse for children. The page or two of explanatory text at the end helps paint the Mondrian story in a clearer light and lets you know that you just experienced a quick artistic tour of Mondrian's styles in 40 pages of very clever illustrations. It's also a good idea to read the blurb on the inside back jacket flap to let you know about the author's interest in Chinese landscapes.
FridayNightFever
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary art lovers
Found this in a random visit to our university bookstore. Clean, bright, fun & adventurous, went through the main stages of Mondrian's transitions in style with the accompaniment of his motives as well as external influences. Probably not so easily accessible to little kids but definitely a nice one for people who have some knowledge/likes art
Miss Melissa
Jun 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book, art, lost
I have no idea how I would use this book for storytime or who I would suggest it to. I understood early on it was about an artist, but that is not fully explained in a way that will make sense to children.
Adinda
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prentenboeken
Eigenlijk ken ik Keepvogel en Tungsten alleen van tv, maar dit prentenboek weet precies dezelfde sfeer over te brengen als de serie. Bovendien staat het vol geweldige illustraties, gebaseerd op de fasen in Mondriaans werk en zijn schilderijen zelf. Een bijzonder prentenboek!
Carol
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am confused. I didn't really get this book. The pictures were kind of fun, but the story didn't make a lot of sense. And yes, I do know who and what Mondrian is. I just don't think many youngsters in the picture book crowd will.
Mike Hylton
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A clever feast for the eyes. A nice tribute to Piet Mondrian.
Amy
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Based loosely on the artist, Piet Mondrian with quirky characters and wonderful illustrations.
Heather
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
could be cool to use for my Exploring Great Artists program when I do Mondrian
dennis
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 stars--neat concept, but i think a bit too esoteric for a picture book (unless you're really into art).
Mary Lee
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Translated from Dutch.

Nativida
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, art
Read this with little A who loved it and has already read it two more times on his own. Now it would be fun to take him to see some real Mondrian's...
JOEY
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story makes sense only after you read the afterword and back jacket flap. "Coppernickel Goes Mondrian" is cool in that it's stylish, but I found the story itself to be a bit goofy.
Caroline
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to like this but I think it was a little too weird for me.
Jj
originally published in Dutch, 2011.
Susan
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Better for adults than kids, but still fun for both.
Charlene Mitchell
Ann-Marie
rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2013
Shanna
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2016
Marjolein
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »