Start by marking “Snowflake / different streets” as Want to Read:
Snowflake / different streets

Snowflake / different streets

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  301 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In her first book of poetry since 2007, legendary poet, critic, and novelist Eileen Myles creates poet and poem anew as she pushes the boundaries of her craft ever closer to the enigmatic core. Snowflake finds the poet awash in an extended and distressed landscape mediated by technology and its distortion of time and space. In different streets, the poet returns home, to t ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Wave Books

To ask other readers questions about Snowflake / different streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflake / different streets

mis fit
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Felt very emo reading this. Snowflake is killer, different streets is less so, but still a few gems in there. On a side note, Eileen Myles is really great at Instagram.
Diana Salier
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Snowflake (new poems) was awesome. when i grow up i aspire to be Eileen Myles, if i don't get to be JD Salinger or Richard Brautigan. she writes a lot about the sun and being in the dark and being in crazy love with all sorts of females. it makes me feel ok about having females come and go in my life.

wasn't as into Different Streets (newer poems). i think these are mostly poems about/for her current girlfriend. maybe being too crazy in love with someone doesn't make for as good poems as losing t
Aimée Verret
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spent quite a while on this book. English is not my first language, so poetry can be a challenge. I read "Different Streets" first, didn't think much of it, but I read it again and then I started getting it. After I moved on to "Snowflake" and found it easier to get into (maybe I was now acclimated?). Anyhow, after two thorough reads I quite enjoyed the depth of these short snappy sentences, and the meaning behind what could pass for lightness. (Hope this review makes sense, I was struggling for ...more
Mary
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I think this is a collection I need to give some time and a second read to really digest. I have a hard time with very tiny verses - I read through them too quickly and don't really savor the slowness of each page. I was left, overall, with a feeling that something important was going on, but I was missing out on it. I think I need to dedicate more patience to this and be a better reader when I have the energy to give it the attention it deserves.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
it's like we took of our skin
and said it is hot. It's like we sold our skin
& said where did everyone go?

when the weather's too hot for comfort
&we we can't have ice-cream cones
it ain't no sin
to take off your skin
& dance around in your bones

from "Choke"

Can we have a moment for the Wave Books design? So beautiful - beige and black is the constraint, but no book from them looks the same. The design always enhances the gorgeous content.
Christa
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Snowflake was a wonderful volume, full of thick words and more intangible topics. different streets was not as moving for me, I think in part because the topics were more straightforward and the approach verbally sparse.

At the end of different streets, Myles mentions that many of these 'newer poems' were transcriptions of older pieces, and that's somewhat how the poems feel to me-- quick, ephemeral, and fleeting, like they could vanish into air without leaving a trace of their weight.
Tom
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice spare lines, down to the bone, honest. It's that so-called minimalist style of poetry influenced by haiku's compression--difficult to master, to sound natural and not solipsistic.
Hunter
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't really like stream of consciousness styles and not too many of the poems really did anything for me. The super short linebreaks were also somewhat annoying. I didnt feel like any of the poems really said anything.
That said, it's pretty obvious that the styllistic choices were just not for me. If you like short lines and the stream of consciousness style you may like these. Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.
Pineapple
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-poetry
Eileen Myles. Punk poet. So good. Life feels better with Eileen Myles in it. And the book is beautiful too.
Kacey
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mills College Library
811.54 M9972d 2012
Marc Kohlman
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the funniest, sassiest and deep poetry collections I ever read! Each one of the poems eclipsing the last. I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Myles in September of 2014. That was an experience I shall always remember and cherish. She was the third long-standing published writer I ever met. Myles personal advice, opinions and perspectives on being a writer, marketing ones self and the art of poetry were interesting and of great influence. The day Myles came to read her poems at my coll ...more
Jen A.
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I hate to give a bad rating to something that I know "isn't my thing," so I'll give this volume of poetry by Eileen Myles 3 stars.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around poetry, especially that which falls into the vein of being more symbolic, with less-than-concrete imagery. I'm sure some people will find inspiration and beauty in Myles' work; I struggled to find the cadence to read any of the works.

One poem is simply two words stacked on top of one another. (What?!)

I liked that the book w
Kevin
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Attracted by her biting wit and flowing line, I sought Myles out after hearing her on a Poetry Foundation podcast. After all, aren't we all on the lookout for what I took to be a working-class, lesbian version of Fred Seidel? Unfortunately, the only poem here that lived up to my expectations was on the "different streets" side of the house, called "the perfect faceless fish". The rest were stranded in traffic on a California freeway or faded away before the page was even turned.
Resi
there were some pieces I liked in these books, although I found that her style took some getting used to. in a way, she almost kind of reminds me of gertrude stein in stanzas in meditation --- while she is far less dense than stein, myles's pieces, individually, take the reader on a sort of stream of consciousness trajectory. the result is pretty fascinating, and makes for an interesting read, nonetheless!
Mersini
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, owned
The first of my encounters with Eileen Myles' poetry, ahead of seeing her talk in a few days. I liked Inferno, and I liked this one, and I suspect I'll like I Must Be Living Twice, which I'm about to start.
Hillary
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, poetry
I'm lukewarm because it felt very hit or miss. I wonder if some of it was just too personal for me to connect with. I prefer Snowflake to Different Streets--the latter felt more specific to her life than the former, or at least I interpreted it that way.
Stacy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a review of Snowflake / Different Streets over at Revising Loneliness:

Katie Schmid
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I like this pretty two-in-one book. My favorite was "different streets."
lola
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
one day i'll like the things people write after they're happy and mature
and then this will be my favorite
J.A.
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
review forthcoming at The Nervous Breakdown
Valerie
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, queer
Some of the poems in this double volume were so amazing they blew me away, but other poems weren't as great to me. So I liked it, but it didn't blow me away like Sorry, Tree did.
Mark Ballinger
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mark by: Seattle Review of Books
Shelves: poetry
These very personal (like, name checking friends personal) overly stream of consciousness poems did not grab me.
Vincent Scarpa
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite collection of Eileen's, but not without its great poems. I much preferred the "Different Streets" section.
Gina
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I reviewed this for The Rumpus here: http://therumpus.net/2012/04/the-body...
E
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
It's quite nice when you can cull beauty and inspiration from something that isn't quite your style. These poems confused and left me ancy, anxious to get writing my own answers to them.
Quinn
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Snowflake/different streets features understated, sincere, quipp-ish poetry. Not sure if I like it yet.
Jasmin
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mirrors
I love the columnar structure of the poems. The content makes me smile. I really relate.
Hannah
  • The Endarkenment
  • The Cloud Corporation
  • Slow Lightning
  • Meat Heart
  • If the Tabloids Are True What Are You?
  • Dark Matter
  • Something Bright, Then Holes
Eileen Myles is probably America's best-known unofficial poet. Her latest book is Sorry, Tree in which she describes “some nature” as well as the transmigration of souls from the east coast to the west. Bust Magazine calls Myles "the rock star of modern poetry" and Holland Cotter in The New York Times describes her as "a cult figure to a generation of post-punk females forming their own literary a ...more
More about Eileen Myles