Start by marking “Guacamole” as Want to Read:
Guacamole

Guacamole

Following on the success of Sopa de frijoles / Bean Soup and Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding is Jorge Argueta’s third book in our bilingual cooking poem series — Guacamole — with very cute, imaginative illustrations by Margarita Sada.

Guacamole originated in Mexico with the Aztecs and has long been popular in North America, especially in recent years due to the many health b
Published April 1st 2012 by Libros Tigrillo (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Guacamole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guacamole

Start your review of Guacamole
Rebecca Engel
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, because not only is it a poem book, it includes many metaphors that make reading it so exciting. The book is also written in Spanish and English which allows for an exciting read of the steps and processes of making guacamole, a favorite of many!
RLL22018_Jorge Ortiz
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This Book was adorable. It has a little girl making guacamole and comparing it to things she likes or finds pleasing/interesting. It really shows her appreciation for what she is doing and expressing to the reader how happy it makes her feel. I love that it is written in both English and Spanish, reflecting her heritage. I feel this book would be a good ice breaker for a classroom to have its students listen to he character's hobby an possibly have them write a poem expressing theirs with pictur ...more
Kerry
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A bilingual children's book about making guacamole in poetry form. I wish it came with a recording because some of the Spanish rhymes in particular are really cute. The English ones made me laugh.

I heartily agree with the sentiment "Sing and dance because food tastes better when you sing and dance."

Cute illustrations to boot.
Liz Murray
A bilingual recipe for guacamole told in a poetic tone that brings the process to life. The illustrations are full of life and told through the eyes of three siblings. Pure joy!
Maria Hernandez
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with amazing illustrations and has a great story about creating the most delicious guacamole. I recommend this book for any grade level.
Molly Falk
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
Barbara
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
If this poetic tribute to the culinary delights of guacamole doesn't inspire you to try the dish, nothing will. The poem appears first in Spanish, and then beneath it, in English, and right next to the verses appear oil and digitally modified illustrations that show the avocado in its entirety, and then the steps that should be followed in preparing guacamole. As the boy and girl in the illustrations prepare the delicious food, they are mindful of saving the avocado pit, its skin, and the lime s ...more
Sheila Ortega
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Argueta's "cooking poems." I love the comparisons in this one. Avacados are "like green precious stones." The pits are "round as a small world." The spoon is like a tractor when it scrapes. Even though some of the Spanish play on words are lost in the English, the English poetry is fun, too ("Sal, salito de mi salero" = "salt, salty salt from my saltshaker"). The illustrations by Margarita Sada are great. Miniature round-faced children slide on an avocado half and sled in the scooped-out ...more
Amelia
This was fun and lively but not quite as poetic or satisfying as Arroz con leche/Rice Pudding: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem. ...more
Camille
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-bks
Jorge Argueta poems are great for me because they help me build my Spanish vocabulary and practice exaggerated reading in another language. Super fun!
I think the English version of this poem is very well done, too. It shows readers how the simple, everyday objects can be fun and magical sometimes... you also get a basic guacamole recipe!
Jen
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The poem was in English and in Spanish. This is not how I would make Guacamole, it is a simplified recipe. The pictures were really great, and the emphasis on singing and dancing while cooking and cooking for others makes this a great story. Not all of the translation was parallel, but that wasn't a problem.
Emily
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Delightful poetry on how to make delicious guacamole. The prose writing in English is matched with Spanish on very page. A great way to incorporate healthy eating, Spanish, and prose writing in the classroom.
Maryam
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of all Arguetas "cooking poem" books, this is my favorite. I actually made this guacamole and loved it. The illustrations are delightful!
Michelle Cortez
I really do get Into these books. they make you want to try cooking there way, a childs way.
Terry
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Maybe too much salt for my taste, but it made me hungry.
Mercy
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
bilingual
Liz
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Another in Jorge Argueta’s bilingual cooking poem series — Guacamole. Cute illustrations. Maybe I will try guacamole this way! (But I would have to add a little jalapeño!)
Oana

• Crossing Bok Chitto: A Choctaw Tale of Friendship & Freedom
  • The Blacker the Berry
  • Art & Max
  • The Best Tailor in Pinbauê
  • Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)
  • Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote