Start by marking “Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings” as Want to Read:
Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings

Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings

The Shahnameh is a fabulous collection of stories and myths from ancient Persia, written into an epic poem by the poet Firdousi in the 10th century. The Shahnameh's place in Persian literature is equivalent to the Arthurian legend in Europe. The tales describe the beginning of the world, and include amazing birds who bring up orphaned Kings, noble horses who kill lions to ...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Lincoln Children's Books (first published 1010)

To ask other readers questions about Shahnameh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shahnameh

Anna Faktorovich
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is a treat to have received a free copy of this great reference book. I always enjoy researching some of the earliest and most complicating books in human history, and this certainly qualifies as a monumental achievement. Abolqasem Ferdowsi was born in a village in Persia, now Iran, in 940 CE, and rose from this humble beginning in scholarly achievement to be funded by the Samanid dynasty that sponsored his writing of this one single book across the entirety of his long adult life. I love the ...more
Leila Anani
Stories from Shahnameh (The Persian book of kings) retold by Elizabeth Laird and illustrated by Shirin Adl.

While I dislike the childish style of the artwork, it has a certain charm and the vibrant colours make it appealing. The stories are exciting and easy to read with little codas of rhyming verse which add to the epic nature of the stories.

I loved in particular Zahhak and the loathsome snakes - where demon lord Ahriman puts his claws into the king Zahhak and two snakes sprout from the wounds
Ging Cee
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was inspired to read this in preparation for Hamid Rahmanian's Feathers of Fire, a puppet show based on Shahnameh. This epic poem is the longest and was also the text which enabled Persians to fortify their language against widespread adoption of Arabic.

It is the first time I encountered the story, and I love the lessons on love, pride, being true to oneself, honor, and service.

I wish I could read it in the original text to capture its poetic beauty!
Quranman2001
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this book, it's my second time reading this!. The story towards the end was a bit convulted, i must say. I disliked how childish the art looked. Also, that's a pretty sad way to end a book... I almost cried... Poor sohrab and rostam... So similiar to luke skywalker and darth vader. Other than that, the whole " strong, brave warrior" trope got old and cliché in this book fast, so that made it a bit boring.

Overall, this is a really great untroduction for kids to Iranian mythology, i'd recomm
Meg
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mc-literature
A retelling of the classic 10th century Iranian epic poem by the poet Ferdowsi, written over a period of 30 years. This Persian collection of stories is filled with kings, heroes, warriors, demons, and magical animals. The illustrations are exciting stylized, colorful double page chronicles of events, black and white line drawings, and artistic vines bordering the pages with floral designs. The stories vary in length but capture the enticing tales such as Simurgh, the giant bird, the hero Rustam ...more
Rosanne Hawke
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent retelling of the Shahnameh (the Persian Book of Kings) for children by Elizabeth Laird. It covers half of the scope of the Shahnameh up to the death of the hero, Rustam, but as it is written for a child audience it does not show how he died. The book is beautifully presented with each page illustrated by Shirin Adl showing characters and colourful page borders. A delight, and I discovered it in the new Pegi Williams Bookstore in Walkerville, Adelaide.
Noushin Naziripour
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this folktale from ancient Persia! The stories will take children's imagination to a different world! I think boys would enjoy this book more than girls as the illustrations, stories and myths are filled with heros, kings, magical animals and demons.
Sheila
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved these tales of old . My Review
James
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A true ly excellent book. Having read many Ancient Greek works, reminiscent of Homeric Works. A great insight into Persian literature and culture.
Amy
Oct 24, 2014 added it
after the mention of this book a number of times in The Kite Runner, I thought reading it with my 4th grade son would be fun. boy was I right?! We love the tales of old Iran so far.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A handsomely designed and illustrated collection of wonderfully retold stories from the Perisan epic Shahnameh.
Tibbles Fautima
Feb 10, 2018
Deeksha Lal
Jul 01, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong author (maybe) 4 29 May 09, 2016 04:06PM
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though