Start by marking “Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)” as Want to Read:
Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)

Body of Evidence

(Kay Scarpetta #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  59,104 ratings  ·  1,094 reviews
After months of menacing phone calls and feeling that her every move is being watched, successful writer Beryl Madison flees Key West when a terrifying message is scratched on her car. But the very night she returns to Richmond, she deactivates her burglar alarm and opens her door to someone who nearly decapitates her. Why did she let him in, wonders Chief Medical Examiner ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Pocket Books (first published February 5th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Body of Evidence, please sign up.
Edy If it were me, I would read the first novel, but you don't actually have to. Certain characters are the same and the settings are all in Richmond.…moreIf it were me, I would read the first novel, but you don't actually have to. Certain characters are the same and the settings are all in Richmond. It's really a matter of choice. Both are excellent, the second is better than the first!
(less)

·  59,104 ratings  ·  1,094 reviews

Kylie D
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book that sees Kay Scarpetta looking for the killer of a young author. The author was working on her memoirs, but the potentially explosive manuscript goes missing, and several high profile people are invested in finding, and hiding, it's whereabouts. As the body count starts to climb, Scarpetta finds herself under siege and scared. I found this book to be easy to read and highly entertaining. A worthy addition to the series.
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was such a gruesome kid... in that I loved to read this series. Blood never bothered me, and the more psychopaths you throw at me, the happier of a reader I am. I think I learned some anatomy from this book. :)

The descriptions are vivid, not for the faint-hearted. Hits close to him when it's about a writer being murdered. Almost decapitated.

The MC, Scarpetta, is a challenging character. She's so honest and raw, you have to respect and love her. But she's also got this side of her where I'd be
Meags
3 Stars

I don't know whether it's the writing itself or the time when it was written (early 90s), but Kay Scarpetta is one silly broad, who constantly makes choices that had me scratching my head in confusion (and frustration). For a character that is so beloved I can't quite find the appeal (yet). And her detective friend (?), Marino, is wholly unlikable, with his gruff, assholish demeanour, and his constant prejudice slurs and harsh judgements of nearly everyone he comes into contact with who i
CAM ♔

The first book was good, this one's even better! It amazes me how Patricia Cornwell can make everything look so unclear at first then shows you the big picture when she pieces it all together in the end. This book kept me at the edge of my seat and I have learned to become genuinely interested in every character. Definitely worth reading especially for CSI fans like me!

Quotable Quotes
"Some people simply want company."
"I didn't know what I wanted. Maybe I never had."
"The older I got, the more I w
Judy
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female-author
This series is what I call a "guilty pleasure". Not at all high-brow, but easy to read thrillers with some mystery, and I have to admit that I enjoy the gruesome details about forensic pathology. Being an engineering type, I like to know the details behind things, how things work, in particular when it comes to problem solving or investigative techniques.

I do love the character of Kay Scarpetta; she's a strong, smart woman who is also attractive. She makes me nuts sometimes when she does risky t
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely enjoyed this one more than I did the first and can see how this series would get better as it goes.

Loved that the mystery kept me on my toes and I didn't quite figure out whodunit until towards the end. Will definitely keep reading these!
Noriko
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I believe everybody has books that are near and dear to their hearts, like comfort food that they cannot help but love and embrace despite some issues and flaws.

For me, this Kay Scarpetta series on the whole falls into that category. I remember devouring this series up until the 5th book when translated editions came out.
Although it’s been quite a while since I last read this series, this ‘Body of Evidence,’ the second book in the Scarpetta series, confirmed my conviction that I love, and proba
Matt
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Cornwell brings Dr. Kay Scarpetta back in the critically acclaimed series to test her wiles in a new and disturbing manner. When a murdered author is found in her home, investigators are left with little to know insight, which bothers Scarpetta almost as much as the slaying itself. Questions grow exponentially while answers remain deftly hidden behind layers of the victim’s past. Scarpetta and the police being piecing things together, discovering a deeper back story related to her current piece ...more
Quenya
So I liked the book but I think that has more to do with the characters than the actual story. Scarpatta and Marino’s relationship is just too much fun in how much they respect each other but yet can irritate the hell out of each other at the same time.

There were too many similar to the first book that bothered me. The two main things are that yet again Scarpetta’s office is made to look bad with her superiors and the media and the her romantic partner is a main part of the mystery.

I was reall
aPriL does feral sometimes
Dr. Kay Scarpetta, Virginia Chief Medical Examiner is again in the middle of mysterious murders and personal vendettas!

Lieutenant Pete Marino summons Scarpetta to the house of shy fiction writer and murder victim, Beryl Madison. Blood is everywhere. Knife wounds are like that, especially when deep defense injuries are dripping while the victim is trying to run away down a hallway and up a stairway, down another hall and into her bedroom. Oh well. She didn't suffer much pain after bleeding out fr
3.5 stars. Not nearly as good as the first in the series, but I know this series gets better. I don't think I ever read this one, though. There were some interesting twists in this, definitely not what I would have guessed. A solid entry in the series, but without the crackle of the first, Postmortem. I'll definitely continue with the series.
Lobstergirl

Lackluster, especially after the introduction of Al Hunt (no, not that Al Hunt) and his mentally ill friend Frankie. An utterly tedious denouement, with the reveal of the killer's identity the most soporific moment of the novel. Much dull bloviation about Key West and its gay population. A lost opportunity to make (view spoiler).
Regina
3.5 stars. Really good.
Rajan
Apr 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
“Restraining orders aren’t worth the paper they’re written on,” I retorted, my anger nudging me closer to the limits of self-control. Not a year went by that I didn’t autopsy half a dozen brutalized women whose husbands or boyfriends had been slapped with restraining orders.
----

Marino snorted. “It’s like in your place, Doc. No such thing as preventive medicine. We’re nothing but a damn cleanup crew. Can’t do a damn thing until after the fact, when there’s hard evidence. Like a dead body.”
-------
Kat
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Basic Plot: a writer of historical romances is found murdered, and Kay Scarpetta is on the case again.

I used to teach this installment of the Scarpetta series as the example of the "mystery" genre in a novels class.

Considering the fact that I taught this book, I remember it fairly well, even years after reading it. The pacing was good and there were plenty of red herrings that I used to love to use to torture my students with. If I have any complaints about it, they lie in the fact that the "big
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Why read: Reading the series.

What impressed me: Body of Evidence was definitely a topsy-turvy mystery. Not only do you not know what's going on with the victims, you really don't have nay clue who to trust in the investigation either. Kay's not knowing friend from foe in her personal life adds a lot of tension and intrigue to the story. And either Cornwell does much better in this second book with laying off the excessive explanations, or I'm just getting used to her writing style.

What disappoin
John
A solid murder mystery that, thankfully, does not rely too much on the forensic science element to further the plot. Cornwell is a terrific writer, and I enjoy her Kay Scarpetta character more than most detectives from other series. The book is fun and light, never disappointing but never reaching the upper echelons of great storytelling, either. Great for a long airplane ride, but not a book you're likely to remember well a couple years after you read it.
Gregory Stenson
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This was my first Patricia Cornwall and I enjoyed the quality of writing but overall I think the detail was overwhelming and I'm not sure I will be reading another PC just yet. I have to acknowledge that the story did lead you down certain routes and the truth was revealed. There was a lot of dialogue and protracted evidence and technical descriptions which I found a little laborious.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Need to be reviewed.

EDIT: I actually prefer the later books to the early books. I think her writing got stronger.

Mariano was so unlikeable in the early books.

Carol
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Read: This is one of her first in this series. I've been reading a lot of the later ones, and there is a different cast of members in this book. Quite nice as her language is a lot better than it gets in later series. Kind of fun to see the trail she forges as the book is beginning. I liked it quite a lot. Recommend.

Second Read: Kay Scarpetta, chief medical examiner of Virginia, gets involved in the case of a brutal stabbing death in Richmond of romance writer Beryl Madison. Then, Madison'
Kathryn
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is the second Kay Scarpetta murder mystery, and I found it even better than the first one, if only because the killer did not come out of nothing, but was previously mentioned in passing earlier in the book. (Scarpetta observes in this book that murder does not happen in a vacuum; everything is connected somehow. And that is also how murder mystery novels should be.)

It is 1987, a year after the previous book; Kay Scarpetta is still the Chief Medical Examiner for Virginia, Pete Marino is now
Eric_W
Dec 06, 2008 rated it liked it
The heroine is Dr. Kay Scarpetta, the Chief Medical Examiner in Virginia. Oh, no, you say, another Ouincv. Wrong, corpse-breath. Scarpetta is intelligent, short, (we don't know whether she is attractive or not, a relief) and she doesn't swoon over each drooling Sylvester Stallone imitation that happens by. (That's something I've always wondered about: How does Travis McGee, the blue-Rolls-Royce-truck-driving hero of John MacDonald's colored-titled novels avoid AIDS, since he seems to have the se ...more
Mark Harrison
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Decent but pretty routine addition to the series. Two brutal murders linked together, her ex making an unexpected return, a celebrity lawyer out to ruin her and some small red herring to keep you guessing. Started well and then tailed away. Still - love the heroine so will be sticking with the series.
Randy Tramp
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author, Beryl Madison flees Key West when a terrifying message is scratched on her car.

Kay Scarpetta pursues the case of, "Who murdered Beryl Madison and why."

What a great series. The action is exciting, the plot is moving, and the characters are intriguing. Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta is a likable character. Her high-tech forensic skills enable her to collect a body of evidence.

Even though Beryl is murdered, her life lives on. During the investigation, it's like she's there. I love
Rob
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number 2 in the Dr Scarpetta series.
This mystery takes place over a twenty years, or so, period. At first it sees simple. A young woman's body is found mutilated and the murder is investigated. But as more mutilated bodies keep turning up it soon becomes obvious that thing are not as simple as first thought. To get to the truth Kay and her sidekick, Lt Marino, need to find out what happened almost twenty years ago.

As you read it's hard to imagine how the past and the present will come together
Lianne - Literary Diversions
3.5 - enjoyed! Review to follow.
Emily
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
An author receiving threatening phone calls decides to hide for a while down in Key West and work on her memoir. She’s murdered the very night she sets foot back in Richmond. Kay Scarpetta, Richmond Chief Medical Examiner, investigates the case along with the intensely dislikable Lieutenant Marino. It looks like a psycho stalker did the deed, but the missing manuscript has an unscrupulous and greedy agent complicating the investigation in order to get his hands on the valuable pages.

Cornwell’s w
Dhuaine
May 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
A murder of a promising young author opens a chain of events that may threaten Dr Kay Scarpetta herself. Can the police catch the stalker before something horrible happens?

... or something like that. It's my second Scarpetta book and already I can see the common scheme behind the two novels. It starts with homicide, then Scarpetta is attacked by journalists / lawyers / random guys who just want to make a fuss (always because she's a woman on an important position, and she is never helped by anyo
emily c.
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I think it is not as good as other Scarpetta novels. The plot is somewhat loose and compressed only at the end. There is not much thrill reading this one, less gore, too much drama and quite uninteresting characters, especially the killer. A schizophrenic killer, with childhood troubles is frankly common. Though most murderers are loose in the head, writers of this genre must make the person interesting and amuse the readers on the workings of a criminally insane mind as Cornwell has done in her ...more
Has anyone read this author? 7 34 Sep 23, 2018 11:38AM
Around the Year i...: Body of Evidence, by Patricia Cornwell 1 8 Jun 09, 2018 02:01PM
The Women's Myste...: #2 Body of Evidence 9 41 Feb 02, 2013 02:08AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • The Devil's Teardrop
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,

Kay Scarpetta (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5)
  • From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta, #6)
  • Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta, #7)
  • Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8)
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11)
“Has all the trappings of a mystery novel, doesn't it?” 10 likes
“I didn't know what I wanted. Maybe I never had. The emotional distance was never worth the togetherness, and yet I didn't learn. Nothing had changed. Had he reached for me, I would have forgotten to behave sensibly. Desire has no reason, and the need for intimacy had never stopped. I had not conjured up the images in years, his lips on mine, his hands, the urgency of our hunger. Now I was tormented by the memories.” 5 likes