Start by marking “The Telling (Disharmony, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Telling (Disharmony, #1)

The Telling

(Disharmony #1)

A psychopath... an empath... a genius.

Three siblings who will save the world – or destroy it.
They know nothing of each other. They know nothing of the Telling.
But they’ll need to learn fast if they’re going to survive...

A gripping new series about a collision of worlds, the power of destiny, and the darkness in us all...
Published May 23rd 2012 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Telling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Telling

Start your review of The Telling (Disharmony, #1)
Kat Kennedy
There are some things I saw done very well in Giarratano's new novel, Disharmony. Her first mark comes for characterization as she successfully builds and maintains several very authentic, interesting voices. Each with a story that is a little like a crocheted doily in how the pattern touches at the right time in the right places.
The second comes from the settings which are engaging and rich. It was like a breath of fresh air and I enjoyed the exposure to her take on the Roma families and the ju
Brodie
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
With a synopsis like the above, Disharmony had me frothing at the mouth in anticipation. I admit, psychopath was immediately my trigger word.... it offers so much deliciously creepy potential! Unfortunately, Disharmony didn't entirely live up to my initial excitement. But don't despair: it's still an engaging start to what can grow into a compelling new series.

We're offered a few different POV's throughout the book, but the primary narrations are from siblings, Samantha and Luke. Twins, in fact.
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
3.5 stars actually!

Overall, this story was very ordinary. There's plenty of action to keep you engaged, but it wasn't as interesting as it could be. I wasn't as emotionally invested as I should. However, the premise of this book is very interesting, and it gets props for it.

Pros
-- Interesting Premise - I love the whole 'Psychopath', 'Empath', and 'Genius' idea. It's brilliant and different, and definitely caught my eye!

-- Diversity! - YES the supporting main character for Luke is a guy call
ALPHAreader
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
We live in a world of chaos, but it has not always been this way. Wars, murder, poverty… they all started five thousand years ago. And when the chaos started, a prophecy foretold of three children who would one day bring an end to it. A psychopath. An empathy. A genius.

One, a child with no capacity to feel emotional pain and no ability to understand the emotions of others.
Another, the opposite, a child of such pure emotional connection that she would have known where and why you had an itch be
Emma
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review also posted on The Book Barbies.

*thanks to the publishers for the free copy of this ebook (via Netgalley)*

I absolutely LOVE this whole idea of the psychopath, empath and genius. It's completely and utterly fascinating, and I just really, really, want more.

For the first chapter, we're introduced to this concept of The Telling and how it came about to happening in this parallel universe. It's a little bit strange and quirky, but it's something I haven't read about in a long time. Siblings
Tien
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Reason
I’ve read Leah Giarratano’s Jill Jackson series which is an adult crime novels and I loved Jill Jackson. I cannot stress it enough that she absolutely Kicks some serious Ass! I was hoping for some kick ass characters in Disharmony too.

I notice the first line of the book’s description was “A psychopath… an empath… a genius.” What a terrific choice to characters and seeing that Giarratano’s experience as clinical psychologist, she could not choose better characters than these!

So… I was a
Shelley
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: oceania, ya, 2000s, 2014
Great concept, interesting prologue, great ending but mediocre middle.
Elly Herrmann
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5*

I was really enjoying the story (despite the really really slow start) and the characterisation until I got to the last 50 or so pages. What the frick was that? Everything just seemed absurd and stupid and I was constantly asking “what was happening?” and “what just happened?” and “wait what?”. And then another POV was introduced and that is one thing I absolutely hate in novels- if you’re going to have multiple POVs, don’t introduce one in the last quarter of the book. Was Kirra’s POV just
K
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The hook was brilliant. But as it goes on... not so much.

I mainly have problem with Samantha hitting on Tamas. Literally drinking his body in like some creep pedophile, except that she is 13. She sounds as if she is hungry for him, to be honest. Imagine if the genders are switched, people will be screaming misogyny and objectification of woman.

Diversity. Should be a plus, but eh. Characterization isn't amazing.

Luke and Zac's POV are trying to hard to sound like a boy's.
Bree T
A psychopath. An empath. A genius.

They are supposed to be the ones who can save the world – the thousands of years of wars, tragedies and disasters. Who can restore the natural balance and peace, the way things used to be. Before.

They are siblings. Two of them are twins. They know nothing of their destiny – they don’t even know the others exist. They know nothing about the mysterious thing known as The Telling, which their destinies are tied up within. They are fast approaching a time where they
Lisa
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: penguin
Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

Disharmony was a book that sounded explosive and unique in theory, but underwhelmed me when things came down to business. I expected so much more from this mysterious Telling but was forced to wait for the sequel to see it in action. This first book very much felt like an introduction to the characters before their true problems would be revealed later on. Although I expected and wanted a lot more plot, I did enjoy meeting some of the characters wh
Kai
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

Although not all of the book's elements worked for me, and I've had my reservations before finally reading it, there was so much promise the summary offers and I just couldn't help myself that I read on.

I never thought that mixing technology and magic, folklore and legends, and supernatural beings will work in a modern setting. This can be tricky and confusing, but Leah Giarrantano somehow made it work. I liked how one moment you see everything from the eyes of a
Lisa
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating - 3.5

The Short Story? - A novel that will satisfy both male and female readers of all ages! Giarratano has brought back YA fiction without the heavy romance tag-a-long. A very appealing plot and a solid ending, I thoroughly enjoyed this "out of the ordinary" debut! Told from alternative perspectives, the novel gives a brilliant insight into two very different lifestyles and craftily intertwines the lives of two very different teenagers. If you're looking for a supernatural read with u
Novels On The Run
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
MARISSA'S REVIEW: 3.5 STARS

A changeover from crime fiction novels, Leah Giarratano has delved in to the YA world of paranormal and fantasy.

Leah has given us Disharmony - book 1 in The Telling Series. A series based around three siblings born to save the world. Only they don't know who they are or that the others exist.

First they have to "believe" what others are telling them is their destiny... and to do that they have to believe that which should only be written in fairy tales.

Luke Black is a
Celine
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
I love the dark feeling of the cover and the black background. The way we can only see the girl’s hair gives off this eerie and anonymous feeling.

Story:

A psychopath. An empath. A genius.

Disharmony is an engaging and gripping read. The book is written from alternating POVs between Luke, Samantha, and an anonymous narrator. When I first heard of the book, I was really interested with the concept of Disharmony. It was a un
Marissa Novels On The Run
3.5 STARS

Luke Black is a hacker extraordin
Ellen
Apr 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, 2012, young-adult
Disharmony: The Telling sounded so promising. A psychopath, an empath, and a genius set to either destroy or rule the world depending on their upbringing. It sounded so paranormal and mystical and kind of out-of-this world. Sadly, it wasn’t really anything of the three.

The first thing I noticed when reading Disharmony was that Luke’s narration sounded... off. There was something about it the dialogue, too. It felt stiff and over the top. Like Luke was trying too hard to be a boy. And then I figu
Natasha
"The psychopath. The empath. The genius."

Luke Black is a punching bag in juvenile detention. It seems everything he does is considered wrong, and he hates people and feelings. Having been bumped from different foster homes around Sydney, a few computer crimes (plus some other stuff he doesn't want to get into) have left him there for eight months.

Samantha White is considered a witch princess. Abandoned at birth and raised by the Roma, she can sense feelings and is very good at reading tarot card
Kristy
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As the introduction of a new series, this book works - just as things start to get interesting the book ends. I looked for the second in the series, only to read that this book was released just days ago. Frustrating! As someone who likes to read a series of books within the shortest period of time I can, this annoyed me - but it's not the books fault. I will have to re-read the book when number 2 comes out as I will definitely be following this series as it progresses.

I chose this book when I f
Nisma
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
1. Spontaneity. Dude. Things were happening left, right and centre, and it was all pretty reasonable randomness. I mean, sure, there was this predictability with some things, like... a sense of foreboding when you know something bad is going to happen. But I could never fully guess WHAT, exactly.

2. Quirkiness. I mean, I cannot stop thinking about how AWESOME the premise is, the unique little features of each character, the mystery that remains surrounding this Intellicide fellow... yah.

3. Multic
Renae
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Just finished reading this one for work, so it's not the usual book I'd reach for. It's aimed at young adult readers, so the writing is a little simplistic for my taste, but I have to admit, I did find it entertaining, and I really want to read the next book in the trilogy when it's published.

I found some of the events a little cliche, especially after watching series like 'Heroes' and 'Misfits', where young people come into special 'supernatural' powers. It seems that it's getting harder to do
Felix Schollum
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Fiction

The Telling (Disharmony #1)
Leah Giarratano

Section 1
(Brief blurb)

This text is about 3 children who don’t know each other, who are meant to save the world from inevitable destruction. They no nothing of each other. They no nothing of The Telling. They will have to fight to save the world.

Section 2
(Significant thing)

When Zac keep acting mysterious and running fast, it made me think about how he could be not human. That is significant to the text because it shows part of how he is not human
Blue Mountains Library
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
So if I’m being completely honest the first thing that caught my eye with this book was the mention of the psychopath.
I read the blurb and was immediately excited.
Unfortunately the book does not entirely live up to the thrilling blurb it was given. But do not fret!
This book (although initially disappointing) turned out to be quite a compelling read. I found myself finishing the entire series within 2-3 days!
A very good read!

Bex
Casey
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disharmony was an amazing book. It had everything I like in a book; interesting characters, development, a bit of romance (not enough to override the plot) and left me in suspense. It's an original twist on ya paranormal writings, and makes my inner fangirl and bibliophile squeal with delight.
Giarratano did a fantastic job, I can't wait to read the sequel.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Margaret
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
It was pretty good. But I didn't like how things ended for Sam in the Gypsy camp- it was weird and I didn't like the ending, Jake should have been introduced much earlier on in the story, or things should have been explained better at the end. I don't know. I did like it though. It was good. ...more
Huong
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
The prologue was a good hook and kept me curious as to how the story would unfold. Unfortunately, 35% later into the book, the plot and numerous characters were still just all over the place. I lost complete interest and am shelving this book.
Alyce
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
was a fun, easy read. nice having it set in Australia for once. liked the first half better, where slightly odd things happened that went unexplained. felt it took a way a bit from the story when it explained why exactly everything was happening.
Melissa
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. Told in a few POV's this is definitely another new Author I want to be keeping tabs on.

Trisha
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this engaging, heart-thumping and fun. I was anxious for the main characters to hurry up & arrive but the journey for each of them was absorbing.

Great ending too.

• The Sister-in-Law
  • The Woods
  • The Nowhere Child
  • Thinking Inside the Box: Adventures with Crosswords and the Puzzling People Who Can't Live Without Them
  • Sisters
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Survivor (Alone, #2)
  • Quarantine (Alone, #3)
  • A Boy Without Hope
  • The Perfect Couple
  • Runaway Girl: A beautiful girl. Trafficked for sex. Is there nowhere to hide?
  • How to Fall (Jess Tennant, #1)
  • Mum & Dad
  • Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • A Silent Death
  • Rubbernecker
  • Breaking the Silence: Two little boys, lost and unloved. One foster carer determined to make a difference
Dr Leah Giarratano has had a long career as a clinical psychologist. Her professional background offers a unique selling point in this genre and gives an authenticity to her writing. Leah is an expert in psychological trauma, sex offences and psychopathology and has had many years assessing psychopaths and treating their victims.

She has worked in psychiatric hospitals, with the defence force, and

Disharmony (3 books)
  • The Laeduin (Disharmony, #2)
  • Immortal Combat (Disharmony, #3)

News & Interviews