Start by marking “The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories” as Want to Read:
The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories

The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
From the divine to the absurd, the triumphant to the tragic, this one-of-a-kind collection gathers together 30 extraordinary true stories of doctors in the emergency room. Alternately hair-raising, heartwarming and hilarious, Emergency Room captures the chaos, hope, horror and profound relief that doctors face every day on hospitals' front lines.
Published October 1st 1996 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Emergency Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emergency Room

Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book took me through the whole gamut of emotions. Some of the stories were horrible and heartbreakingly tragic, others were funny, some were moving, some made me angry at the state of healthcare in our country (although this book was written in the 90s so things may be different now) It wasn't an easy book to read. Children dying, suicides, etc. . I like how they broke the stories up and didn't have just the depressing stories. That made the book a little easier to handle. You get a look in ...more
Kristin
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A brief collection of stories from emergency room doctors in the mid-1990s, some doctors like Perri Klass, Michael Palmer, and Samuel Shem whose work I have read in the past, others less familiar to me. All of the stories were interesting, most referring to either a particular patient who left an impression or a typical shift in the doctor's hospital. While I suspected some of the stories from the familiar authors would have been ones I'd read before, I didn't remember any of them. All in all, a ...more
Mandy Huot
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Although I've always enjoyed these types of books, I stumbled upon this one by accident (or was it?)

Being a former nursing student, switched to Criminal Justice, reading stories of doctors (and sometimes nurses) still makes me feel part of the field. This book was an excellent dosage of medical story telling, from the plane out weird, to the heart grabbing, emotional stories of loss.

Highly reccomend this book for anyone plainly interested in reading stories from ER doctors, to E
Brian
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't understand why this book has such low ratings. While I wish I could give it a 3 and 1/2, I found it to be rather good.
Ago
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good short stories, however they are explicit. A laugh and a tear. Quick read.
James Turner
Apr 11, 2014
Mickenzie Jensen
Jul 19, 2016
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 25, 2008
Jeremy
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2007
Amy R
Aug 22, 2014
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very literary version of emergency room stories. a great read raw brutal and honest
James
Feb 19, 2012
K.
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
Dan Sachs, an emergency physician practicing in Chicago, collected 30 essays set in emergency rooms (many of them previously published).

The accounts range from the comic to the lyric, the self-evident medical problem to the mysterious, and the innocents to the culprits. As with most collections, I found some to be better written than others. A few were choppy, and a few were overwrought. But on the whole, I found them insightful and heart wrenching.

Most of the authors shared their struggle to m
Honesty in Medicine 1 1 Dec 12, 2008 02:18PM