Start by marking “The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots” as Want to Read:
The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots

The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots

‘Let me burst your city bubble for you. This is the Pilbara. And it’s the Pilbara that makes the rules’

Lena Todd is a city girl who thrives on cocktails and cappuccinos. So when her boss announces he’s sending her to the outback to join a construction team, her world is turned upside down.

Lena’s new accommodation will be an aluminium box called a dongar.

Her new social netw
Published January 2nd 2012 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots

Start your review of The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
Michelle_Mck
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our main character Lena is a recent Engineering graduate in Perth Western Australia, she is uber feminine, loves to organise fun nigh out and adores shopping. She is trying to prove herself as an engineer and wants to make a good go of it. Her boss Ivan calls her into the office to let her know that as part of her Graduate Program requirements she needs to head to regional WA to the Pilbara to work on a project out there. Lena is less than excited about working out there but she knows her future ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
The Girl in The Steel Capped Boots is a light contemporary novel that has a distinct Australian feel. It makes the most of it's unique setting, I love that it is set in the Pilbara in Western Australia. A sparsely populated and isolated area of the country, the Pilbara's stunning landscape has unique physical and emotional challenges for those that live and work in it.

I enjoyed the story and the characters. Lena Todd isn't exactly looking forward to spending months in the isolated Pilbara region
Brenda
When Lena Todd learned from her boss Ivan, that she was to be sent to the site on the Pilbara as the engineer for the construction team, she was bereft. She was a city girl through and through and the thought of no restaurants, no shops, no hair salons – she almost had a panic attack. But she knew she had no choice but to go – her future as an engineer depended on it. With her uni degree creating turmoil in her mind, she gritted her teeth and packed her suitcase.

Arriving on the site was an eye-o
ALPHAreader
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lena Todd has landed her dream job, as a graduate engineer for a major firm. After years of struggling through her Uni degree, she has come out the other side with a strong work ethic and a thirst for knowledge. But Lena has a lot to prove, to herself, a certain awful ex-boyfriend and her new company. So when she’s given the option of continuing desk work in the big city, or tackling a hard, on-location job in the outback of Pilbara, Lena decides to take the road less travelled …

Pilbara is unlik
Kathryn
2.5★ I did like elements of this story - the descriptions of the Pilbara were great.

But I didn’t fully believe in the main character, Lena. She is portrayed as a very girly-girl who colour-coordinates her nail polish with her clothes, and seems to be quite a ditzy person in many respects, and yet we are expected to believe that she likes working with steel on construction sites and has the common sense and skills required to be an engineer - the two parts just didn’t seem to gel, for me at leas
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2012, romance
The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots is perfect! Loretta Hill has written a beguiling romance that rings true with its West Australian setting — and characters! — but is also a coming of age story. Lena is on a quest to prove herself, not least, to herself.

There’s a lovely clarity to the Loretta’s style that captures the rhythms and expressions of Australian speech without exaggerating them into mockery. Humour and courage nicely balance the emotion in the story, and all tangled plot strands are compe
Paula  Phillips
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review: The Girl in the Steel-Capped Boots - Loretta Hill - January 2012
Wow , where to begin but to say I LOVED this book, it's funny I never used to be too much of an Australian Outback type writer but after reading North Star by Karly Lane, I became hooked -so I blame it on Karly, but then if it wasn't for Karly and all the wonderful Australian novels that she promotes on her site , I wouldn't have met Loretta and heard about her new novel "The Girl in the Steel-Capped Boots". The Girl in the
Kathryn
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I confess. The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots is the first novel I have ever read where the lead character is an engineer. In fact, it is the first time that I've ever been attracted to a novel which is about the lives of engineers. The novel is essentially a romance set in remote Australia (a popular genre of late,) but I found that as well as the romantic element, I really enjoyed the setting, the technical detail (Loretta Hill is an engineer who did indeed work on the Pilbara in 2001,) and ...more
Helene Young
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A humorous and wry look at life in the Pilbara through the eyes of a city girl. I enjoyed it enormously!
Bree T
Lena Todd is a city girl from the top of her head down to her toes. Fresh out of university armed with an engineering degree, she is thrown into panic when her boss tells her that she’s green so they’re sending her up north to get some experience on one of their sites. The Pilbarra, in fact. She’ll be trading her lattes, shopping dates and city apartment for khakis, safety hats and a dongar – basically nothing more than a demountable building a couple metres long by a couple metres wide.

She’s ut
Jet Silver
Loved it! My favourite read of the year so far. I'm so glad for the Australian Women Writers Challenge, because I never would have found this book otherwise. It's not my type of book at all, except that it really, really was. I ripped through it in a day.

The sense of place was just wonderful, and I fell a little in love with the Pilbara along with Lena. The characters are memorable and engaging, and the romance was full of tension and spark. I say that as someone who is decidedly not a romance
Nicola Sheridan
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. Based largely in the Pilbara in far north Western Australia it gives an insiders view of an industry many of us only hear about.
It follows the story of Lena, a graduate Engineer on her first 'fly-in-fly-out' job in the Pilbara. The Pilbara with it's striking red landscapes is a place dominated by men, and Lena soon discovers that not everyone is happy about the arrival of a young, fresh from university, female engineer. With a large cast of interesting and funny characters,
maryanne
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book, I expected a light and fun read and I got neither. None of the characters were likeable and I found myself just unable to care about their “problems”. I thought a book set in a rural camp of 350 men with a female main character would do more to tackle sexism but instead the book was tinged with moment after moment of internalised misogyny. And the way this book treated mental illness was frankly appalling. All in all I found myself rolling my eyes and puttin ...more
Rachael Johns
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It's a bit chick-litty, a bit rural, a bit romance with fabulous characters who are real but lovable. Was good to read about the Pilbara, which doesn't feature heavily in Australian romance fiction. I really enjoyed the plot and watching how the heroine developed into a really strong and likeable woman over the course of the book. The hero is just my type - strong, guarded, honest and deadly attractive.
I'll be awaiting more books from Loretta Hill!!
Bettina
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, LOVED this book! Couldn't put it down, and I didn't want it to end. My brother is studying to be an engineer, so it gave me a bit more of an insight into what he does. Can't wait to read more books by this author!

Just read this book for a second time and loved it even more if that's possible!! Wanted to refresh my mind before reading the sequel. Can't wait to see what happens with Lena and Dan. Never get tired of reading this book, and would give it 10 stars if I could!
Seena Seena
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very solid read! Loved the pace of it all! Loved the characters & there were a lot of LOL moments! ...more
Diem
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Loved every second of this!
Bec Pink
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't usually read fiction but this was recomended to me so thought I'd give it a crack. Definitely resonated with many of the main characters challenging situations in a male dominated work place. The story wasn't as predictable as I originally thought, but still had a pretty mooshy ending. All in all I definitely enjoyed this book.
Alicia Hope
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall an enjoyable read.
Although I found the main character overly ditzy at times, and the romance element a bit too 'Mills and Boon' for my taste, the authenticity of the engineering elements combined with the setting and the clever story pacing kept me reading to the end.
Tara Chevrestt
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia
I actually read the author notes at the end of this and was intrigued to discover that the author was an engineer on the site of a wharf in 2001. And the Cape Lambert wharf really was widened. To me, this makes the book even cooler.

I enjoyed this story. I think we've all been there--men and women both. Fresh out of school, eager to prove yourself, inexperienced and not taken seriously, nervous that you'll f*ck up, as Carl in this book would say. (Trust me, once you read this book, you'll get tha
Stacey
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Moon Love
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! I enjoyed reading about Lena, an engineer who is stationed in the outback. She's a city girl and doesn't expect to be met with the hostility she is. Not to mention, she's already doubting her capabilities to begin with.

Ms.Hill has worked in the construction industry and therefore knowledgeable about how it can be for women to work in that field. While I found the sexism to be offensive, I know it's a reality, and I loved how Lena dealt with it. There were some really funny moments and
Julie
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book. It was a real page turner, with fantastic characters, and great story line. I can't wait to read Loretta's next book, and the one after that, and the one after that!!! awesome!!!
Kellie Schache
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read, looking forward to the next book by Loretta Hill
Irene Sauman
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I chose this for an alphabetical reading challenge. It was disappointing. I know it rated high with a lot of readers and the subject matter no doubt accounted for that. Young female engineer out to prove her worth among the macho men of the Pilbara. I can understand the attraction of that idea. But Lena was not a believable character. It seemed those men couldn't imagine her as an engineer. Unfortunately neither could I.
Juanita
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Loretta Hill. Great characters easy to fall in love with. I enjoyed this book the only thing that took away from it was that I read the third in this series first and it bothered me a bit that the main male character in this book is VERY similar to the main male character in the third book.
Clearly if I read this first I would have been bothered while reading the third book. Am definitely going to be reading more of her books though.
Vicki Robe
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely. Having worked in an industry that is mostly male dominated, I felt like I was there with the characters in the book.

Lena Todd was an inspiring character out to prove herself against all the obstacles that were put in her way, and what she hated to do at the start ended up being her dream come true.

This was a well thought out story line that was page turning from start to finish.
Emma
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rural-romance
Loved this book. The scenes are set so well you can imagine yourself in the Pilbara even without any knowledge of the mining industry. The relationship between Lena and Dan felt real and made the book thoroughly enjoyable to read
Faye
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Totally enjoyed this book
Lucy
Apr 15, 2020 added it
Loved this book, it is not all soppy like most romance novels.

Great storyline about women in a mans world of a job and the romance is sooo realistic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Something to Talk About
  • Red Dirt Country (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Talk Of The Town
  • Just One Wish
  • The Long Paddock (Woodlea, #1)
  • Man Drought
  • Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • The Family Farm
  • The Widow of Ballarat
  • Lost Without You
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • The Woman in the Green Dress
  • Riverstone Ridge
  • Saving Grace
  • Where the River Runs (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Cherry (Pentecost Island Book 6)
  • Tess (Outback Brides of Wirralong, #2)