Start by marking “Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story” as Want to Read:
Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story

Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story

(Bear and Mole)

On a windy spring day Bear and Mole decide to fly a kite. But when a storm rumbles in, the kite string breaks! The two friends tear after their kite and find it in a tree, protecting a nest of baby birds from the rain.
Published February 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Kite Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kite Day

Start your review of Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story
Kayla Edwards
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm going to have to go middle of the road on this one. I love how it started - vibrant colors, beautiful artwork, and really great sound repetitions that my kids got into. However, the ending was a disappointment. It showed up out of nowhere and then was just over so I was disappointed. ...more
Samantha
Fun story about getting ready to fly a kite. Lots of sound words (i.e. zoom, rumble, snap etc) which would make for a fun read aloud with audience participation. Great artwork that encourages storytelling in prereaders.
Erin
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two friends are excited to have a windy day in which to build and fly a kite. Yay! But the kite string snaps--oh no! Then the kite lands in a tree and shelters a bird family.

I want to like this book more than I do. The illustrations are colorful and cute. It's a book about friends working and playing together, and about how sometimes something that seems bad (the kite string snapping) turns into something good (sheltering a bird family from the storm). There aren't too many words, and what words
Melanie
Bear thinks it would be a good time to fly a kite. He runs home and tells Mole to help him get a kite ready. They plan and prepare together. But when they take the kite out there is a sudden storm. The kite string snaps and the kite flies off. Both Bear and Mole run after it. When they catch up they find that the kite has sheltered a bird and her nest of babies from the worst of the storm.

Darling story and illustrations.
Anna
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are quite cute, especially the adorable mole, but the ending felt a bit abrupt to me. I was going along with the story and then it just ended with the mother bird. I felt like there should have been a page or two before the mother bird came. Something about Bear and Mole saying something about the birds more than just, "Look!". Otherwise it's an alright story about them making a kite and following the kite when the storm came. ...more
Bear and Mole are excited to fly a kite. They work together to build a nice kite and get it flying. When a storm comes and the string snaps they have to go chasing it. Beautiful illustrations and simple text with lots of action words and onomatopoeia to get kids involved, this is a good group read aloud until the bizarre and abrupt ending.
Donna Mork
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute and simple story. Bear decides the winds are just right for Kite Day. Mole and he construct a kite and fly it. The winds pick up and break the kite. They follow it and find it in a tree. But it is sheltering a nest of baby birds from the storm. The mother bird thanks them.
Anthony
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Bear and Mole make a kite for kite day. Once aloft the kite soars, and then a sudden Spring storm takes the kite higher, and the string breaks. Bear and Mole chase their kite until it lands broken in a tree, but they discover that their broken kite is being put to good use.
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-read-2020
This was a super sweet little springtime story. Bear and Mole are excited to fly a kite. But soon that leads to disappointment-then a glimmer of happiness again. I love the repetition of sounds like “chirrup, chirrup, chirrup” and “splat, splat, splat”. Very nice for a read aloud.
Miss Sarah
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Bear and mole are building and flying a kite. Each step is show and I love that includes research. The ending was a little tricky for my younger kids to get so preschool and up.
Ann
This is a good book for spring and kite flying. Big illustrations that work well for storytime. Used it in our letter"K" storytime. ...more
Trisha Parsons
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and enjoyable to read out loud.
Karen
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Making, flying, and losing a kite. But everything turns out okay in the end.
Rachael
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-literature
I liked this book but I didn't love it.
I can't even think of anything else to say about it.
Nancy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bears
Thanks Carly!
Susan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. The colors, the story...everything. Really makes me wish for spring.
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute. The thunder at the end was a nice twist.
Zazie
May 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
Not bad but it was just okay for me. Nothing special, to be quite honest.
Meharma Khan
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April Voss
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book about true friendship between bear and mole. As they go out on an adventure to build and fly a kit, they encounter some problems. This leads to them helping someone else out. This is important in teaching children that sometimes something bad can turn into something good for someone else and that it feels good to help someone else out. The illustrator in this book uses a mixed media style, which really makes the pages interesting and unique. The characters are portrayed in a fun, ...more
Eileen Carter
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bear and Mole work together demonstrating that team work is something that is to be enjoyed and produces something that everyone can enjoy - the kite. The illustrations in this book are so colorful that as reading the book you almost have to pause to give a moment for discussion about the events happening on each page to appreciate the illustrations. I believe that children of all ages will enjoy this though it is more focused at preschool - 1st grade level.
As a teacher, I have used this book i
Kate
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think that this is a good book for early readers (my completely unprofessional opinion). The sentences are short and simple, the words repetitive. The illustrations are lovely and soft, but colorful. My daughter and I also enjoyed it because, it seems like it will have a sad, disappointing ending, and instead it has a surprising and hopeful ending. Plus, it is a book about kites, and the librarian told me that good picture books about kites are hard to find.
Jen
I really liked this book. The illustrations were very good - and very cute - and the story was a good one. It had a couple elements that I think are really great: first, the teamwork Bear and Mole used to build their kite and, second, the fact that the kite ended up being used to help woodland friends after it got caught in the tree. This latter point can be used to teach kids not only about helping those in trouble, but also about finding a happy side to a sad occurrence.
Janet
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bear sees that it is a day for flying a kite and friend mole and he make one, fly one and what always happens the kite lands in a tree. Surprize someone is happy the kite is in the tree. Bright colorful illustrations and I especially like the ones depicting Bear and Mole making the kite--perhaps children will see making fun instead of buying it is part of the fun.
Dolly
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
This is a sweet story about two friends making a kite to fly on a windy day. The narrative is short and repetitive, perfect for younger children. And the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and the animals are adorable. This book is a bit too young for our girls, but we enjoyed reading it together anyway.
Christine Turner
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bear and Mole build a kite and take it out on a windy day, but when the weather suddenly turns stormy there are unexpected consequences for some birds.

Subjects

Kites -- Juvenile fiction.

Bears -- Juvenile fiction

Moles (Animals) -- Juvenile fiction.

Birds -- Juvenile fiction

friendship
care of others
Shannon Chrnko
Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story had a storyline that I was not too fond of. Kites are not as popular as they had been for previous generations, so it is doubtful I would read this to my students. The illustration was well done, and the pictures were attractive. It shows that working together leads to success, and teaches children to share.
Great Books
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4
Ohio author Will Hillenbrand has created a new Bear and Mole story for readers. It is the perfect day to fly a kite until rain threatens to ruin everything. Not to worry through because this author has a few tricks up his sleeve to save the day. Reviewer 1
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very cute, simple story about two friends constructing, finding and losing a kite. Big and bright illustrations that will work well for storytime. This was my first "Bear and Mole" story; I will definitely be reading more. ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
J Picture Hillenbrand, W.

Kay's rating: 4 stars

With spring just arriving here in Jackson, our kite days are coming. This is a great shared reading. Maybe after reading you can make a kite together too.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Big Umbrella
  • When Spring Comes
  • Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • Groundhug Day
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Different? Same!
  • Double Bass Blues
  • My Heart
  • A Pet for Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #15)
See top shelves…
Will Hillenbrand is an American children's book author and illustrator who has worked on over seventy books for young people. Raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, he was influenced by the stories he heard in his father's barbershop growing up. After taking a class in picture-book art while in art school, he decided to pursue a career in children's literature, combining his love of storytelling with his lov ...more

Bear and Mole (5 books)
  • Spring Is Here
  • Off We Go!
  • All for a Dime!: A Bear and Mole Story (Bear and Mole)
  • First Star: A Bear and Mole Story (Bear and Mole)

News & Interviews