Start by marking “Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone, #1)

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  2,252 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
On October 15 at 2:15 a.m. everyone on Earth vanished.

Well, almost everyone.

A scattered few woke alone in a world where there are no rules other than survival... at any cost.

A journalist wanders the horrible reality of an empty New York in search of his wife and son.

A serial killer must hunt in a land where prey is now an endangered species.

A mother shields her young daugh
Published July 31st 2011 by Collective Inkwell (first published 2011)

Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who fantasise about the end of the world
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: angela
Woo hoo!
I'm the first person to review this on Goodreads *little victory dance*

To make this book please follow this recipe:

Take one Stephen King - break his ankles if he won't come willingly.
One Dean R Koontz - preferably from his Strangers period, but any period Koontz will do if this is not possible.
Half of Shaun Hudson - I will leave it to your discretion to decide which half is preferable. He is, by all accounts, a loquacious chap so you might want to opt for the bottom half (the bit without
Timothy Ward
I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, but am so often disappointed with survival scenarios that involve characters I could care less about. I love that Platt and Wright cast a wide net of characters that are so engaging, with killer cliffhangers to the end of their chapters, that you go ravenous to read (or in my case listen) to as many chapters as you can. The audiobook is the way to go. Every narrator is top notch. Make this part of your commute and you'll wish you had to drive across th ...more
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
I picked up Yesterday's Gone after reading and enjoying the authors' WhiteSpace: Episode 1. I was surprised that I didn't like this better, because I typically love the apocalypse genre. The book focuses on a handful of characters, with the points of view switching among them with each chapter. They've awakened to a new world, with nearly all of its inhabitants suddenly vanished. Was it an alien attack? The Rapture? (Probably not the Rapture since at least one of the characters seems less than w ...more
In short, Yesterday's Gone is a work of apocalyptic, serial fiction. For those who do not know what this means, serial fiction is when something that would normally be a novel of several hundred pages is broken up and released in smaller parts. A TV equivalent would be a series like Lost with seasons and episodes within that season. This is the same, just in book format.

Episode 1 is broken up into sections told from different points of view. Other books are told this way, such as A Song of Ice &
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Serial fiction comes from a bygone era, when stories were published a piece at a time in newspapers and periodicals. There's not much of it these days, at least in print, but there's more and more of it online. I think it was Japan and the serial romances that folks read on the tiny screens of their cellphones a decade or so ago, that you saw the resurgence of it. Yesterday's Gone ain't romance, though.

Featuring a cast of several characters, each highlighted in alternating chapters, each charact
Tom Loock
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Another 'bought for nought'-book – should this become a category now that so many eBooks are offered for free?
I was certainly lured into 'buying' this for £0.00 knowing full well that I'd buy the remaining episodes (which I just did) if it would be any good and it is. So why only three stars instead of four?

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 is written in cliffhanger-fashion like a TV-series. The authors Sean Platt and David Wright admit so in the preface to this novella, calling it 'serialized fictio
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not too long ago, I rudely criticized a kindle novella for being patterned after the format of a TV series. So along comes Yesterday's Gone a serialized novel that is blatantly patterned along a similar style. So why was unnamed novel so terrible and Yesterday's Gone pretty damn good.

The first obvious reason is that this serialized novel is well written while Novella X was not. But more importantly, despite the authors' use of "episode this" and "season that", Yesterday's Gone is patterned more
Yesterday's Gone perked my interest because it's a serial story made to be told out loud. It didn't hurt that it's free to get the first episode and try it out. I recognized most of the narrators and that cinched the deal for me. Well, it worked. I ended up listening to this episode a few times because I had to go back to re-hear the story in parts. There's a lot going on and important details are inserted in common points. I finished the first episode and I am definitely buying the first season ...more
Bar Reads
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On to the next!
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I can suspend my disbelief for many things. Almost everyone in the world disappearing at the same time? Sure. Weird alien creatures? Okay. Bodies piled up in rivers? Fine. People dreaming about the apocalypse years before it happens and preparing for it? Absolutely. But I cannot suspend my disbelief when it's all these things, with freaking talking animals that turn into Native American's in dreams. I'm sorry, it's too much. Can't do it.

The switching narrative aspect also got on my nerves. I lov
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
(Source: Downloaded for free from
The world has ended, and the only people left are going to have to work out what is going on.
Where has everyone gone? What happened to cause this? And who will survive?

This was basically the start of a story, where we’re introduced to several people who have survived the ‘collapse’. We went through a chapter with each of them more or less, and the flitting from one character to another got pretty annoying, especially as the characters were pretty
Gillian Murrell
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This felt like the first few chapters of a book. It was basically the introduction to a few of the charters who were still on earth after what ever happened happened. I can't imagine how desolate it much have felt to wake up and find everyone you knew and loved vanished without a trace. Looks like if you want to read the story its going to take a lot of books at this rate.
Darnell J.
"I made a mistake I only had the first book in the series. However, I just finished book one and the concept still seems promising. In addition, I'm looking forward to seeing the psychological affects this situation places on the groups and particularly certain individuals."(less) [edit]
Rebecca Bradley
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
First of all, I don’t usually read much in the post-apocalyptic vein (I find it even grimmer than crime!), so this whole experience was going to be new to me and I didn’t know what to expect.

The way it’s set out is in the conventional way of a book – with chapters. And, in this case, each chapter was from the point of view of a new character as they woke or realised they were alone in the world.

Initially, I found it slow to get into. I don’t know whether that was my mindset about the book, genre
Steven Aitchison
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been listening to Sean, David and Johnny on their podcast 'The Self Publishing Podcast' and find them entertaining, knowledgeable and very funny. So I decided to try one of their books and this one appealed to me the most.

It had me hooked from the opening chapter and the whole premise seems to stem from a Stephen King 'what if.....' thought. In this case, what if 99.9% of the population just vanished overnight.

The opening episode follows a group of people at the moment they realise the po
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know how anyone would read a "serial" released week to week, the only reason I'm even starting this is that it is completed before I begin. That said, I'm still not positive I'm ready to commit to this series, as while each installment is only 100 pages, there are 18 chapters. I got the first two as freebie promotions, and I can read 7-18 free from the Kindle library. So do I pay $6 for episodes 3-6? I guess these first two episodes will determine that.

As with any series, there is the in
Lesa Divine
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it, i-own
I was hooked from the first chapter. I didn't mind the crazyness in this book that's what keeps the excitement. It makes me wonder what's go happen next and then I'll get the understanding of why that happened before. People wake to find their family, friends and neighbors completely gone. With a man in New York looking for his wife and son. A woman wakes to just her teenager daughter and a few men neighbors around. To a teenage boy with his sexually hormones, a serial killer out on the hunt whe ...more
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this one at all.
In such a short story, they're way too many point of views.
I couldn't connect with any of the characters, as there just wasn't enough pages for each character to be properly shown.

One of the characters really annoyed me, half of his story was just about how much of a crush he had on his ex best friend. The worlds just ended, and you're fantasizing about your crush. I think you need to get your priorities right.

Nothing really happened. They spent most of their time
Kevin Dio
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, science-fiction
C'est par un jour d'octobre, à 2h15 du matin, que 99,9% de la population disparaît mystérieusement.
On va suivre en parallèle comment plusieurs personnages se réveillent en se rendant compte que le monde a changé. En plus de leurs proches disparus, ils constatent une ambiance étrange, les animaux ont changé, certains objets semblent à la fois présents et absents...
Un premier épisode très bon, on se familiarise avec des personnages intéressants (un journaliste, une mère et sa fille, un jeune garç
Karline05 Un brin de lecture
Un premier opus en demi-teinte pour cette saison 1. En effet, la profusion de personnage et l'ambiance mystérieuse pour le moins brouillone déstabilise plus le lecteur qu'elle ne l'arrime à l'intrigue. On sort assez perplexe de cette lecture . J'espère que la suite remettra cette intrigue dans le bon sens et que la magie sera enfin libre d'opérer et de me rendre addict à cette saga.
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
well that ending wasn't what I expected, I began to think the story was weird since everyone just dissapeared and I didn't knew what to think, they werent zombies and neither have gone to heaven for what it seemed and then they appeared in the place i would less expected really.

what is more creppy they appeared at some point and that made the story terrifying, a worth terror tale.
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I got more than half way through but couldn't finish. It's derivative, disjointed and written by people who are clearly not readers. Like another commenter said, the misuse of words keeps jerking you out of the story. If they had a decent editor or chose a different medium they might go far but I'd give this particular work a skip. I'll give them two stars for potential.
Deirdre Metcalf
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was OK but there were too many characters. It bounced from story to story and I had to keep trying to remember who this person was and what had last happened to them. I've decided not to read more in the series because I wanted to become interested in a smaller group of characters, not so many that I couldn't really become invested in any of them.
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I like the plot, but agree that there were alot of characters to learn in the beginning and got a little confusing. I will try to come back to this series though. I am interesting in finding out more =)
A. Hunt
Review to come.
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adulthood
So creepy! Love it!
Chris Doelle
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I had to check this one out for two reasons. 1) I have listened to the authors' podcast and really admire their ability to churn out book after book in such quick succession and 2) because it was a free audiobook download.

Why three stars? Almost all of it is because I admire their writing schedule. If this book had taken more than a few days to write, I would have likely given it 1 star. Not because it is the worst thing I have ever read, but as much because I really can't stand genre fiction.

Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disjointed, vague, and we don't learn much of anything about what exactly has caused the 'collapse' and the sudden disappearance of the mass populous. Nor do we learn what makes these 'survivors' special? How did they manage to remain behind?

While the impression of each introduced character is initially intriguing, the chapters jump around so much that it is difficult to connect any of them. And I agree with other reviewers that the attempt to be crude or gritty - like within hours of discoveri
Geoff Taylor
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Intriguing premise, well exploited, with a lot of suspense and tension as to what is happening and why. Good range of characters. Intriguing enough that I sought out Season Two and am just starting to read it now!

[Not sure about the authors' notion of episodes and cliffhangers. Structure of cycling round a set of characters seems fairly standard, or is that just me? Perhaps I'm just slow on the uptake, but the labelling of the books and chapters as seasons and episodes, like a TV show, confused
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so freaking good! I thought that I would have trouble bouncing between different characters on each chapter but they are all so unique and memorable I had no issues at all. I cannot wait for the next part of the series! This is a great twist on the end of days theme with aliens? Maybe? Bad guys, good guys, spiritual guides that come in the form of a dog. People who can see auras...I loved it!
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • The Zona
  • Eden
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
  • What Came After
  • When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1)
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse ( anthology, #1)
  • On the Road (Life After War, #2)
  • Half Past Midnight
  • This Plague of Days, Season 1
  • Selection Event
  • Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back
  • A Land of Ash
  • The Shock (After, #1)
  • 77 Days in September
Sean loves writing books, even more than reading them. He is co-founder of Collective Inkwell and Realm & Sands imprints, writes for children under the name Guy Incognito, and has more than his share of nose.

Together with co-authors David Wright and Johnny B. Truant, Sean has written the series Yesterdays Gone, WhiteSpace, ForNevermore, Available Darkness, Dark Crossings, Unicorn Western, The
More about Sean Platt...

Yesterday's Gone (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 3 (Yesterday's Gone, #3)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 4 (Yesterday's Gone, #4)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 5 (Yesterday's Gone, #5)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 6 (Yesterday's Gone, #6)
  • Yesterday’s Gone: Episode 7 (Yesterday's Gone, #7)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 8 (Yesterday's Gone, #8)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 9 (Yesterday's Gone, #9)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 10 (Yesterday's Gone, #10)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 11 (Yesterday's Gone, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake