Start by marking “Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life” as Want to Read:

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you react to these emotions can impact your ability to maintain relationships, succeed at work, or even think straight! If you find it difficult to understand, express, and process i ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Calming the Emotional Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calming the Emotional Storm

Start your review of Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life
Morgan Blackledge
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Calming The Emotional Storm is essentially a self-help book for people who struggle with Emotional Dysregulation.

Emotional Dysregulation (ED) refers to a trait of labile, easily destabilized or otherwise inadequately modulated emotional responses.

Possible behavioral manifestations of ED (not to be confused with erectile dysfunction, although behavioral manifestations can be similar) include angry outbursts, destroying or throwing objects, aggression towards self or others, and threats to kill on
Aloha
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I've been applying these techniques all of my life naturally as self-soothing techniques to keep my sanity. Highly recommend but not a quick fix. Like long term health routines, these techniques have to be used consistently throughout the day until it becomes a natural habit. Forgive yourself if you fall off the wagon now and then. ...more
Claire Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
First, in March 2013, I felt my life spin out of control a little so I got this book at the book store. I chose this book above the others because it was very short and I didn’t have much time to commit to reading it. I began reading immediately, but after the first or second chapter, I put the book down.

I picked the book pack up, and the following is my findings. Before getting to spiritually relevant information, I want to discuss the writer’s voice. I did not like the jumpiness of the chapter
Kevin
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: therapy
As a primer on DBT skills, from my limited background, this seems to work pretty well. Van Dijk has a much longer textbook available, and one could always go to the source in Marsha Linehan, but for those interested in a cursory overview of the basics this does seem to me like a good starting point. It's short and clearly organized. I think more and better examples could've been employed, but of course that would make a thin book less so. ...more
Sonja Huege
Nov 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, there is so much wisdom in this book. I would recommend if you are a therapist learning to work with DBT or you’re someone who struggles with emotional regulation (in other words you’re a human!). It’s a very client friendly book with really useful exercises that could make such an impact on people’s lives.
Terri Milstead
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book and have purchased the Kindle version so I can work through the book. I am going to begin using DBT exercises with my counselor, as well. I already practice meditation daily, so I’m familiar with part of the process. I am looking forward to leveraging that to make progress in managing my emotions and having my wise self lead me. (Wise is going to be my word for 2020, in fact.)
Alex Drysdale
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had a long, stressful year, and found myself getting frustrated and angry very often.

This book definitely helped me bring awareness to those moments and gave me some tools to deal with the situations more effectively.
Paul
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work
Excellent, no-nonsense book about how a person can use Dialectical behavioral Therapy DBT skills to cope with stress, anger and emotional disregulation. Although this book is written for a wide variety of audiences, mental health practitioners can find a lot of useful information here. At the end of some of the chapters there are useful summaries that list how a person can use a particular DBT skill. The book is very well written and concise.
Lynda
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Concise, helpful book with suggestions for coping with sadness, anger and grief. Only three stars because much of the information is not new or even presented in a fresh manner.
L.A. Jacob
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
A very slim book, mostly into mindfulness. Doesn't go into the skills or acronyms of DBT at all. Not even good for a pocket guide. Was very disappointed. ...more
MinhTu Thomas Hoang
Succint and cohesive.
It’s far from being a perfect book. But the fact that it comes to me when I need it the most make it such so profound.
Heidi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful books I've read about this topic ...more
Jaq
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you've never utilized DBT/CBT or are looking for a refresher on those skills this is a great book! It's approachable and I think perfectly presents the theories and beginner to moderate skill building in a way that people of varying familiarity will enjoy. I wish I could get everyone I know to read this book! While I don't believe there is truly a "stand in" for traditional therapy if resources to see a therapist are ever lacking this would be a good tool to use for those who are looking to d ...more
Kevin Conti
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars because, despite reading it recently, I struggle to recall much if anything about the book. To me, that is a sign that this book was either not actionable enough or simply offered impractical advice to begin with.

However, I'm not sure I struggle with Emotional Disregulation, so perhaps I was the wrong target for this audience. For someone just aiming to elevate their EQ, I would instead recommend other books.
Dana
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for people who are wanting to get into DBT. The book is good for clinicians who don't have much understanding of DBT (particularly how to regulation emotions) or clinicians who simply want to refresh themselves on DBT and get ideas of how to better talk about emotion regulation and mindfulness to clients. Also, this book is a quick and easy read- always a plus for me!! ...more
Lolo
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
A book with many good points about managing your emotions, but it was too short to like it. In each chapter I expected to elaborate more, provide more examples, explain more about the logic. It seemed to me that it was just a guide to follow the DBT method.

I would recommend this book as a starter for someone that wants to start managing their emotions.
Kat
This was an interesting primer on the topic, but it had so many citations to Linehan's work that I found myself wanting to read that instead. I'm glad I picked it up, but I'm also not sure I'd recommend it.

The concept of willfulness was genuinely helpful -- I realize I act this way a lot without having had a name for it.
Anne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginners to DBT or people that want to learn the basics of DBT
This is a good beginners guide to DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) & how to calm your emotions using DBT skills.

I rated this four stars only because I'm already familiar with DBT & didn't gain a whole lot of new information. However, this is an excellent book for people who are trying to learn new skills on how to calm their emotions or for people that want to learn more about DBT.
Kate Arms
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read on dealing with strong emotions so they don't throw you off balance. With a mix of theory and practical advice. This is a book you can read and take action on.

Definitely one I will be recommending to clients and friends as appropriate.
Ruth Crocker
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Affirmed some skills I've learned, reminded me of some I'd forgotten. A worthwhile read - I wrote 40 pages of notes... Not too many convoluted stories or exercises; one per chapter to illustrate the point. 8/10 would recommend. ...more
Taryn Ohashi
Jul 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
I read and discussed this book as part of a regular meeting with some colleagues. Those discussions were rich and totally filled up my cup, but the book itself is a little outdated. It would’ve been helpful to have more practical guidance and exercises as well.
Stephen
Sep 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
thus book really helped me get through my depression and anxiety. Though i was not clinically diagnosed, it helped me gain perspective and cleared my mind. If you want to read this, i recommend taking it slowly and not rush to finish the book in one sitting.
Lee-Anne Bigwood
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Echoing other reviewers' " simple." Both in a positive and negative way. Helpful but not revolutionary. ...more
Luiz Fabricio Calland Cerqueira
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psicologia
That´s a good book, filled with nice thecniques in DBT and Mindfulness. Some nice insights from the author.
Ryn
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
a simple and straight forward guide to applying DBT skills to your life. Would recommend highly to clients.
Rosetta Remillard
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good tools, very helpful.
Zoe McKey
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book with a few new insights.
Dan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A practical easy to read book that helps understanding and learning basic/intermediate DBT skills in a natural familiar way.
Tiffany
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fav in a while. Will reread when needed in future.
Carol Kimari
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book I will be coming to again and again.

• Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir
  • The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully
  • Omon Ra
  • Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care about Has Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Note to Self: The Secrets of Calm
  • Top Girls
  • Understanding and Addressing Adult Sexual Attraction to Children: A Study of Paedophiles in Contemporary Society
  • This Poison Heart (The Poison Heart, #1)
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • Together in a Sudden Strangeness: America's Poets Respond to the Pandemic
  • Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942
  • My Conversations with Canadians
  • The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind
  • Just Married
  • Little Lovely Things
See top shelves…
I am a psychotherapist working at Southlake Regional Health Centre and in private practice. I have a Master's degree in social work, and specialize in treating psychiatric disorders using dialectical behavior therapy and mindfulness practice.

I have written several books that help readers use DBT skills to treat emotional problems, including The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bip

News & Interviews

The weather’s getting cooler—here in the northern hemisphere, anyway—and that means time is running out for participants in this year’s...