Start by marking “Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life” as Want to Read:

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you react to these emotions can impact your ability to maintain relationships, succeed at work, or even think straight! If you find it difficult to understand, express, and process i ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Calming the Emotional Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calming the Emotional Storm

Start your review of Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life
Morgan Blackledge
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Calming The Emotional Storm is essentially a self-help book for people who struggle with Emotional Dysregulation.

Emotional Dysregulation (ED) refers to a trait of labile, easily destabilized or otherwise inadequately modulated emotional responses.

Possible behavioral manifestations of ED (not to be confused with erectile dysfunction, although behavioral manifestations can be similar) include angry outbursts, destroying or throwing objects, aggression towards self or others, and threats to kill on
Aloha
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I've been applying these techniques all of my life naturally as self-soothing techniques to keep my sanity. Highly recommend but not a quick fix. Like long term health routines, these techniques have to be used consistently throughout the day until it becomes a natural habit. Forgive yourself if you fall off the wagon now and then.
Claire Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
First, in March 2013, I felt my life spin out of control a little so I got this book at the book store. I chose this book above the others because it was very short and I didn’t have much time to commit to reading it. I began reading immediately, but after the first or second chapter, I put the book down.

I picked the book pack up, and the following is my findings. Before getting to spiritually relevant information, I want to discuss the writer’s voice. I did not like the jumpiness of the chapter
Kevin
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: therapy
As a primer on DBT skills, from my limited background, this seems to work pretty well. Van Dijk has a much longer textbook available, and one could always go to the source in Marsha Linehan, but for those interested in a cursory overview of the basics this does seem to me like a good starting point. It's short and clearly organized. I think more and better examples could've been employed, but of course that would make a thin book less so.
Terri Milstead
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book and have purchased the Kindle version so I can work through the book. I am going to begin using DBT exercises with my counselor, as well. I already practice meditation daily, so I’m familiar with part of the process. I am looking forward to leveraging that to make progress in managing my emotions and having my wise self lead me. (Wise is going to be my word for 2020, in fact.)
Alex Drysdale
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had a long, stressful year, and found myself getting frustrated and angry very often.

This book definitely helped me bring awareness to those moments and gave me some tools to deal with the situations more effectively.
Paul
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work
Excellent, no-nonsense book about how a person can use Dialectical behavioral Therapy DBT skills to cope with stress, anger and emotional disregulation. Although this book is written for a wide variety of audiences, mental health practitioners can find a lot of useful information here. At the end of some of the chapters there are useful summaries that list how a person can use a particular DBT skill. The book is very well written and concise.
MinhTu Thomas Hoang
Succint and cohesive.
It’s far from being a perfect book. But the fact that it comes to me when I need it the most make it such so profound.
Heidi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful books I've read about this topic
Candace Fox
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I needed to read! All the issues that I constantly struggle with was addressed in this book and gave me the tools to fix them. It was clear, easy to follow and understand. It resonated with me so much that I bought another book by Sheri Van Dijk so I can learn more and have more tools at my disposal. Highly recommend to anyone and everyone because it touches on things that everyone has struggled with or struggles with in every day life. Great read if you want to help s ...more
Kevin Conti
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars because, despite reading it recently, I struggle to recall much if anything about the book. To me, that is a sign that this book was either not actionable enough or simply offered impractical advice to begin with.

However, I'm not sure I struggle with Emotional Disregulation, so perhaps I was the wrong target for this audience. For someone just aiming to elevate their EQ, I would instead recommend other books.
Dana
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for people who are wanting to get into DBT. The book is good for clinicians who don't have much understanding of DBT (particularly how to regulation emotions) or clinicians who simply want to refresh themselves on DBT and get ideas of how to better talk about emotion regulation and mindfulness to clients. Also, this book is a quick and easy read- always a plus for me!!
Lolo
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
A book with many good points about managing your emotions, but it was too short to like it. In each chapter I expected to elaborate more, provide more examples, explain more about the logic. It seemed to me that it was just a guide to follow the DBT method.

I would recommend this book as a starter for someone that wants to start managing their emotions.
Kat
This was an interesting primer on the topic, but it had so many citations to Linehan's work that I found myself wanting to read that instead. I'm glad I picked it up, but I'm also not sure I'd recommend it.

The concept of willfulness was genuinely helpful -- I realize I act this way a lot without having had a name for it.
Anne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginners to DBT or people that want to learn the basics of DBT
This is a good beginners guide to DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) & how to calm your emotions using DBT skills.

I rated this four stars only because I'm already familiar with DBT & didn't gain a whole lot of new information. However, this is an excellent book for people who are trying to learn new skills on how to calm their emotions or for people that want to learn more about DBT.
Kate Arms
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read on dealing with strong emotions so they don't throw you off balance. With a mix of theory and practical advice. This is a book you can read and take action on.

Definitely one I will be recommending to clients and friends as appropriate.
Lee-Anne Bigwood
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Echoing other reviewers' " simple." Both in a positive and negative way. Helpful but not revolutionary.
Luiz Fabricio Calland Cerqueira
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psicologia
That´s a good book, filled with nice thecniques in DBT and Mindfulness. Some nice insights from the author.
Ryn
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
a simple and straight forward guide to applying DBT skills to your life. Would recommend highly to clients.
Rosetta Remillard
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good tools, very helpful.
Zoe McKey
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book with a few new insights.
Dan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A practical easy to read book that helps understanding and learning basic/intermediate DBT skills in a natural familiar way.
Tiffany
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fav in a while. Will reread when needed in future.
Carol Kimari
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book I will be coming to again and again.
Jeff
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of DBT. Easy format to reference and review.
Erin
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this to help my child who has anxiety and big emotions. I found some of it helpful, but not as many new and actionable ideas as I was hoping for.
Christos
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did not have a profound effect on me. Some of it was interesting. Some of it not. It could have a profound effect on someone else.
Gdawg S
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazingly helpful book. Using the practices I found in this book I was able to better myself. Highly recommended for everyone to read!
Luca Pendu
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly small book, considering the amount of helpful advice inside.

This book is an incredibly clear guide to understanding how our psychology works, more specifically how feelings, thoughts an emotions come together and trigger our actions.
The advice is based on the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), which basically adds elements of mindfulness and acceptance to the well-known Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

The concepts of mindfulness and acceptance will make the most sense to the
Shoddy23
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have some good news and some not so good news. The good news is that you are alive, as you must be if you are reading this right now. If you are alive, then you are breathing and if you are breathing, as Jon Kabat Zinn says, "there is more right with you than wrong with you".

The not so good news is that because you are alive there will be pain. A whole lifetime of it. The pain associated with the end of a relationship or the loss of a good friend. The anger you feel at witnessing injustice or

• The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, and Distress Tolerance
  • The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You
  • Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
  • The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness
  • Insecure in Love: How Anxious Attachment Can Make You Feel Jealous, Needy, and Worried and What You Can Do About It
  • The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual
  • Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives
  • Are u ok?: A Guide to Caring for Your Mental Health
  • Omon Ra
  • I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • The Worry Trick: How Your Brain Tricks You Into Expecting the Worst and What You Can Do About It
  • The Narcissist's Playbook: How to Win a Game You Never Intended to Play
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
I am a psychotherapist working at Southlake Regional Health Centre and in private practice. I have a Master's degree in social work, and specialize in treating psychiatric disorders using dialectical behavior therapy and mindfulness practice.

I have written several books that help readers use DBT skills to treat emotional problems, including The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bip

News & Interviews