Start by marking “Fire Child, Water Child: How Understanding the Five Types of ADHD Can Help You Improve Your Child's Self-Esteem and Attention” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Fire Child, Water Child is a revolutionary guide to parenting a child with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) that does not rely on medication or pathologizing your child’s challenges. This method, created by pediatrician and ADHD specialist Stephen Scott Cowan, helps you identify your child’s unique focusing style—wood, fire, earth, metal, or water—and calm ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Fire Child, Water Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Child, Water Child

Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stephen Cowan takes a very holistic approach to ADHD in this book, drawing from a variety of scientific and philosophical sources to build a framework for understanding and supporting five major personality types. Each type corresponds to an element (wood, fire, earth, metal, water) that represents a person's most basic tendencies. According to Cowan, those tendencies become distractions when we're feeling threatened and insecure, particularly in situations that are contrary to our nature.

The f
Karen
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This book examines the connection children and their personalities have with Chinese medicine and its labeling of the Five Phases - related to nature: Water/Winter, Wood/Spring, Fire/Summer, Earth/Harvest, and Metal/Autumn. Each have particular characteristics and help to explain the ways that we respond to our environment. Of particular concern is how to aid the child diagnosed as ADHD and his/her parents and teachers. The author is a developmental pediatrician and advocates the use of alternat ...more
Amy Hyde
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting if you are really into holistic child raising. It describes the 5 kinds of children (or people like me) and the sign they are -earth, fire,wood, metal and water. When you discover this you can treat your child with holistic healing instead of medicine. I have to say - the different signs were extremely accurate to my 2 boys who show signs of ADHD (But who doesn't?) The one I worry about is a water sign and the different scents and oils might be something interesting to try since ...more
Andd Becker
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some parents of an attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) child will take the time to categorize their child and diagnose the child as fire, wood, earth, metal, or water personality type.
The author recommends reducing the time an ADHD child spends eating in front of the TV set. This will improve the child's attention span.
Some parents of a young ADHD child will administer off-label stimulant medications. Off-label refers to drugs used without FDA approval.
Amy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Aside from references to Eastern philosophy, I found this book to be quite fascinating! I learned a lot about temperament, social inclination, and response to stress based on classifying personality/temperament according to the elements.
Jules
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When you look past the ADHD label, this is a book for both children and adults. I especially appreciate the examples of how Cowan puts the Chinese Law of the Five Elements in to action. I've used this book to inquire into my child's behaviors and actions as well as my own.
Jackie Ray
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful in understanding how ADHD looks in different personalities, how to nourish the different personalities of ADHD, and how to challenge and develop a child with ADHD. I am glad I read it.
Nathalie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I use this for my line of work which is food as medicine. This book is incredibly helpful in its holistic approach.
Christine
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't fit our needs
Karen
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! Great resource for parents whether you think you child has ADHD or not.
elissa
Jun 19, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommended by my acupucturist in 2013, I finally bought a copy of it and read part of it on vacation at the end of the year.
Alison C Lively
Jul 09, 2017
Yamile Méndez
Jan 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Penelope Crumb (Penelope Crumb #1)
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds
  • Ten Naughty Little Monkeys
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall
  • Taming the Spirited Child: Strategies for Parenting Challenging Children Without Breaking Their Spirits
  • The Quilt Walk
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • Your One-Year-Old: The Fun-Loving, Fussy 12-To 24-Month-Old
  • Healing Trauma
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • Cowardly Clyde
  • The Plan: Lose Weight Fast and Forever by Eating the Right Foods for Your Body
  • Madrigals Magic Key to Spanish
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • What's Eating Your Child?: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Childhood Ailments: Anxiety, Recurrent Ear Infections, Stomachaches, Picky Eating, Rashes, ADHD, and More. And What Every Parent Can Do about It.

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99