Start by marking “The Man Who Thought like a Ship” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Thought like a Ship

The Man Who Thought like a Ship

J. Richard “Dick” Steffy stood inside the limestone hall of the Crusader castle in Cyprus and looked at the wood fragments arrayed before him. They were old beyond belief. For more than two millennia they had remained on the sea floor, eaten by worms and soaking up seawater until they had the consistency of wet cardboard. There were some 6,000 pieces in all, and Steffy’s j ...more
Published March 19th 2012 by Texas A University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Thought like a Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Thought like a Ship

Al Sumrall
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to attend a presentation by Loren Steffy reference this book at the Houston Maritime Museum. His pleasant presentation did an excellent job of preparing me for the book which I purchased and now have read. As titled the book is about the man much more than nautical archaeology that is the interesting background of the story. It's a well written narrative by a witness who saw a non-academic, Richard "Dick" Steffy, an everyman who initially lived a "normal life", who over tim ...more
Ashley
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved reading "The Man Who Thought Like a Ship." Once I started reading it I knew it was going to devour it. I actually became so enthralled with the story of Dick Steffy that I read the whole book in a day then felt so overwhelmed I read the book a second time over the next two days so I could take my time and feel the history. It was a great book and the story of Dick Steffy is tremendous.

I will say that I was very captivated with the story of Dick Steffy and watching this man's
Paul
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
From the technical side the process for ship reconstruction could use more detail and likely more illustration. The narrative itself is pleasant but everything seems inevitable and there is no real tension in the story. If the discipline of nautical archaeology was such an upstart in the field there should be ways to prove it. The story itself is inspiring and the author has written a good biography of his father.
Carlos
Mak
May 26, 2012
The race to save the Kyrenia Ship again 2 3 Jun 07, 2012 06:46AM
Hooked! 1 1 Jun 07, 2012 06:44AM
Loren Steffy is the author of George P. Mitchell: Fracking, Sustainability and an Unorthodox Quest to Save the Planet (to be published in October 2019), The Man Who Thought Like a Ship, and Drowning in Oil: BP and the Reckless Pursuit of Profit. He is a writer at large for Texas Monthly, an executive producer for Rational Middle Media and a former business columnist for the Houston Chronicle.

Befo