Start by marking “The Princess and the Pea” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Pea

The Princess and the Pea

When a prince sets out to find a princess to marry, he soon discovers this is not a simple task. There is no shortage of so-called princesses, but how can he tell whether or not they are what they claim to be? Then one night, a great storm rages, there?s a knock on the palace gate, and the prince?s life is never the same. Caldecott Honor?winning artist Rachel Isadora exqui ...more
Published June 21st 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Pea

Copyright: 2009
Age level of interest: 4-8 yrs old
Reading level: Pre-K - 3rd grade

Brief Description:
A remake of the classic story by Hans Christian Anderson tells the story of a Prince who sets off to find a Princess to marry. Set in Africa with an all black cast representing different African cultures with vibrant collage illustrations

Two Characteristics:

Plot: The story keeps many of the traditional prince and princess elements (prince has the power to choo
Katelyn Gerressen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this rendition of "Princess and the Pea", a prince is on a journey to find a princess of his own, but struggles on his journey after realizing many of the women he had met were not in fact real princesses. He was discouraged and headed home, and while he was there, a woman came knocking on the door who was a princess and needed help. The mother decided to test the woman, and put a Pea under forty mattresses for her to sleep on, because if she was delicate enough to feel the pea, she was in fa ...more
Cris Ingram
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
African version of the story of the Prince traveling the world to find a Princess. They come to a village and there is a princess standing at the gate, wet from the rain. He brings her to their tents and have her sleep on 20 mattresses and 20 feather beds with a pea underneath them. When she awakes, says she is black and blue from sleeping on this bed. So they knew she was a princess. The Princess and the Prince got married and the pea was put in a museum.

Colorful pictures and easy reading.
Alyssa Kleiner
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: alyssa-kleiner
Title: The Princess and the Pea
Author: Hans Christian Andersen
Illustrator: Rachel Isadora
Genre: European Folktale
Theme(s): Princes, Princesses, Africa, Palaces,
Opening line/sentence: Once upon a time, there was a prince.
Brief Book Summary: Set in Africa, a prince is looking for a princess. A woman comes during a storm and claims to be a princess. She sleeps on top of 20 mattresses and 20 feather beds, not knowing there is a pea underneath the bottom. She wakes up with bruises, which proves she
Rekha
Nov 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: j-books
The only reason it gets any stars at all is because I really love oil paint collage (think Leo Lionni). Other than that, the story is told flatly and the cultural context is flattened as well.
Hilary
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely retelling of the old tale, with all the original elements and the addition of African illustrations and words. My 3yo was fascinated and keeps asking for this one!
Roy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-children
This version of The Princess and the Pea is succinctly told with a stunning, African themed illustrative style.
Marlee Adams
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
The Princess and the Pea tells the story of a young prince who is desperate to find his wife, another princess. Through many trials and meeting many women, the prince and his family become discouraged. On a stormy night, a princess arrives and faces the test of the pea.

Evaluation:
This book is focused on the original story of the The Princess and the Pea but gives a twist to tell the story of an African princess. The book has the same storyline as the original story, but the char
Hannah Barnes
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: A prince is looking for a princess to become his other half, but he is becoming quite doubtful in his search when he does not find a princess to fit his liking. Until one day when a distraught princess shows up at the king’s door, disheveled, but a princess none the less. Now the pressure is on the King to discover if she is truly a princess.

Evaluation: This book is a twist on the classic story of The Princess and the Pea. It provides a story that most people have heard, but with diffe
Khala Lee
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This old Danish fairy tale was given a well-needed cultural twist by Rachel Isadora. The book is about an African prince who is determined to find the perfect princess. Through his search he meets many princesses, and say hello to them in 3 different languages used in Africa, such as Swahili, which I found ti be very interesting. The text is very simple and easy to understand for younger readers, and the illustrations are beautiful, unique, and inspired by African art. We all know the average fa ...more
Brett
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of Kids books gonna be on this feed in the next few years since I'm Daddin' hard so be warned.

While it's hard not to love this because of the amazing illustrations I think some of my wife's criticisms about Isadora's Rapunzel (which I defended hard) came up for me here. It's lovely to update the tale's setting to Africa, but there really isn't much of a story here, and what little message there is feels even more outdated by changing the locale. Again, amazing visuals, and I really dug the
Kayla DeRemer
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
A prince that sets out to find a wife to marry soon realizes this is not an easy task. How can he tell whether his potential new wife is a real princess. So, he decides that he will place a pea under a bed of tons of mattresses and if when she wakes the pea is not smushed she is truly the best fit. This version of the book was a spin off of the typical fairy tale we read. The author brings in an African American setting and characters to make this more of a diversity book.
Myka Shetler
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit-18
Genre: Traditional Literature
Grade Level: PreK-3
I liked this book. It was a good retelling of a classic story. There were different African languages which is good to introduce a different culture. This book shows the diversity that can be had in one country and shows that everyone is beautiful in their own way. This book can also show little girls who are black that there are fairy tales or classic stories that look like them.
Caitlin Wilson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
review: A prince wanted to marry a princess but was a lot harder than that. The princess got caught up in a storm and ended up at the boys house. The princess stayed over night but slept terribly one a pea being in the bed. They then knew she was a real princess and the prince then wanted to marry her.
use: To teach children that different people have different sensitivities and not everyone is the same.
Gretyl
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: unowned
Though the fairy tale will be familiar and is re-told simply and clearly, the setting and characters based in Africa are a pleasant adaptation that will give children an early introduction to a variety of African styles, culture and language - including how to say 'hello' in Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya. A nice multi-cultural addition to fairy tale collections.
Kat
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book disappointed me. While the illustrations were wonderful with an African flavor the story was the same as Andersen’s. I know Isadora has done other European fairy tales set in Africa and not only the pictures but the story had the African feeling. I really enjoyed those retellings and expected the same from this story but was disappointed not to find it.
Freddi Eastwood
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The princess and the pea, was a very cultured book, that out the spotlight on different parts of Africa. I loved the reverse roles, the prince wanted a princess instead of the other princess trying to be founded by a prince. The story was adorable and I loved the illustrations of the characters.
Margaret
I love the illustrations of this Hans Christian Andersen classic. It's given an African setting, and the images are colorful and appealing. There aren't many changes to the story, but I did like the addition of a few ways to say hello in different languages from the African continent.
Amanda
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Lovely illustrations, but still just a European fairy tale dressed up in 'exotic' African clothes.
Christy Broderick
I loved this rendition of TPATP (plus, I learned some different ways of saying “Hello” in Africa) 😊
Kathleen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
African themed
Donna Mork
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An African version of the Princess and the Pea. Had other languages. Interesting.
Alejandra Acosta
Real, honest, and sensible.
Esmeralda Gregg
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
An folktale take from Hans Christian Anderson and set in Africa. The prince set to find a princess. He travels and greets each prospect in their own language. He was not impressed with princesses of his travel. He goes home and on a stormy night is visted by a princess in need of shelter. The queen mother decides to test to see if the girl is a true princess and places a pea under 20 mattress and 20 feather beds. The next day when asked if she slept well she replies that she didn’t because of a ...more
Ch_ebonysmith
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
In this version of the Princess and the Pea, the story takes place in Africa. The prince is looking for a wife and travels all around to find one that is worthy. Finally, on a stormy night a girl comes and reveals she is a true princess. Before accepting anyone, the Queen (his mother) has a plan of her own. She has a test to see if she is a true princess.
She gets twenty mattresses and twenty feather beds. She places an ordinary pea under them to see if the princess would feel it because only a t
Esther Moss
Book title: The princess and the pea
Reading level: I couldn't find one online, but based on my analysis of the words in the book, I would say it is at around an i or j guided reading level and would be appropriate for advanced kinder, at-level first graders, or at-level-to-struggling second graders.
Grade interest level: pre-school through 2nd grade

Book summary: In this African retelling of the class Princess and the Pea tale, a prince travels far and wide to find the "just right" princess for h
Lisa Vegan
The Princess and the Pea was the very first play I ever saw. (This momentous event happened soon after my parents attended the play The Sound of Music with Mary Martin and didn’t take me, a five year old, because the play was about Nazis. They got there and saw a bunch of little kids my age in the audience. Out of guilt I suppose, they bought me the record album. The kids on the record album cover looked as though they were having so much fun that I begged incessantly to attend the play but I wa ...more
RY
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Princess and the Pea by Rachel Isadora

The story is about a prince searching for a princess to marry, he went all the way around the world to look for the real princess to marry. He found so many princesses but, unfortunately he could not tell if they were real princesses. However he could not find anyone and he became devastated, just shortly after the king returned home, a lady came by the door and knock, while it was heavy storm day. The lady claimed that she is the real princess, however the queen which was the mother of the pri
Megan Renner
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etl-2368
2015 Reading Chal...: The Princess and The Pea by Rachel Isadora 1 10 Jul 25, 2015 09:51PM
  • Pretty Salma: A Little Red Riding Hood Story from Africa
  • Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India
  • Forever Friends
  • Please Take Me for a Walk
  • Whopper Cake
  • The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out! (Big Time!)
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • The Purple Balloon
  • Sunflower House
  • The Mitten
  • Brownie & Pearl Step Out
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.