Start by marking “Froggie Went A-Courtin'” as Want to Read:
Froggie Went A-Courtin'

Froggie Went A-Courtin'

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"The course of true love never did run smooth."
("A Midsummer Night's Dream" — William Shakespeare)

Stand aside, Mr. Darcy. Keep walking, Rhett Butler. There's a new romantic hero in town. And, though he may not have all the ladies in the valley swooning with desire, he sure knows how to pitch the woo.

Iza Trapani does it once again in this favorite song about a lovesick frog
Published February 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Froggie Went A-Courtin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggie Went A-Courtin'

Jessica Blonder
Froggie Went A-Courting
Illustrated by Iza Trapani
No awards
Grades: Pre-k- 1st grade
Summary: The Frog walks through the forest village to find Miss.Mousy. When he finds her, he asks her to marry him.
I have always liked this folk song but most of it can go over young children’s head. Who knows what courting is now a days? Nevertheless, the song is catchy and pictures are very cute.
Activities in the classroom:
Do this book around valentine's day and have the student create valentines from froggie to
Mandy Couch
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a great book and taught a valuable lesson. Froggie was on a mission to find someone to marry. He was wanting to just settle for anybody that would have him. In the end there was one person actually out there wanting to marry him!! It shows that when you wait and be patient good things are actually waiting for you. I love the illustrations in the book and the way it rhymes. I believe this is a good book to read to children. You can teach children about relationships, frien ...more
Shenice Martin
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
Awards: None

Grade Level: 2-3

Summary:
This song is about a frog who is seeking a wife. He approaches a number of different candidates, a mouse, turtle, bird, and chimp; they all said "no"! He had a "vision" about another frog and he then asked her to be his wife and she said "yes". They got married.

Review:
Overall I liked this song. It is very playful in its lyrics and children will have singing it. I would keep this in my classroom library.

Uses:
This song can be used during a science lesson. The s
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I originally picked this book up to see if it could work for my storytelling class (we have a unit on folk songs). It's a cute version of the story, but it really needs the pictures to help tell the story.

Poor Froggie keeps asking animal after animal to marry him, and they keep rejecting him. But Froggie doesn't give up and it's when he meets a lovely Frog that he knows he's found his true love.

A fun retelling with adorable illustrations.
Ellen
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-sing
Iza Trapani did a great job changing the lyrics of this book. Kids laugh but adults roar at the funny text. The illustrations are great too.
Angela
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Big nicely-done illustrations. Fun to sing to my little one -- even has sheet music at the end to help readers sing along (woulda helped more if I'd known it was there *before* I got to the end!).
Heather
My daughter likes how Froggie ends up getting a good wife at the end. She also enjoys the colorful artwork.
Meg McGregor
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I have read thousands of books to children but I had never heard of this rhyme! Such a wonderful and whimsy tale that only Iza Trapani could make even better with her zany illustrations!
Shala K.
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
My 4 month old enjoyed the pictures and there wasn't too much story to bore her. Like that it has the music for the folk song in the back.
Jackie
This Froggie Went A-Courting is a little more verbose and imaginative. Froggie asks all the eligible young critters to marry him, but in the end he finds his true love.
Adrienne
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So funny! The pictures are great, and I'm sure kids will get a good laugh out of poor Froggie's rejections and then be happy when he finally finds his perfect match.
Kimberly