Start by marking “The End Games” as Want to Read:
The End Games

The End Games

It happened on Halloween.

The world ended.

And a dangerous Game brought it back to life.

Seventeen-year-old Michael and his five-year-old brother, Patrick, have been battling monsters in The Game for weeks.

In the rural mountains of West Virginia, armed with only their rifle and their love for each other, the brothers follow Instructions from the mysterious Game Master. They
Published May 7th 2013 by HarperCollins

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
512 books — 2,457 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,570 books — 11,035 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The End Games
Emily May
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it

3 1/2 stars
I am so torn about this book. Even after taking a few days off from goodreads, I'm still no closer to deciding how I actually feel about it and whether, in the end, I think it's worth recommending to others.

Let me just say first: I love the idea. I love the clever twists that took me completely by surprise, I love the creepy setting and I also love the relationship between Michael and Patrick. This is a very eerie novel, one that is filled with zombie-like creatures called Bellows
Blythe
From what I've been incredibly fortunate to read so far, I am able to say that it looks like 2013 is shaping up to be the year of absolutely excellent debut novels, and T. Michael Martin's The End Games is certainly no exception to that high standard of excellence. Filled with chilling creatures, wonderful characters and heartwarming (and at times heartbreaking) relationships, and a surprising sense of poignancy similar to that of Courtney Summer's This is Not a Test, The End Games is a novel ...more
Trudi

It used to be I'd pick up any zombie book and be easily entertained. I mean, c'mon -- zombies...s'all good, right? But as I get older, with a gluttonous trail of consumed zombie books left in my wake, I've become a lot more discriminating and hyper-critical. And the simple reason for that is I have proof that zombies can be amazing. And once you know that, there's no going back to the good ol' days when merely okay was good enough.

Which brings us to The End Games: a debut novel riding the
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

I've read through the current reviews on Goodreads, and one common thread is that everyone loved the relationship between brothers Michael, seventeen, and Patrick, five. I'll be the lone wolf who says I did not like it. At all. This child seemed straight out of 80's sitcom land: way too cutesy and overly precocious in a way that made me (and I can't believe I'm writing this about a young child) dislike him. I suppose I can understand why
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

'The Bellow replied: "NEEEEEWWW-" Three, two..."Good morning," Michael said, and the first shafts of dawn slit bright and pink over the trees, glimmering the snow and windshield dust on their dashboard. The sunshine struck the Bellow's eyes: the creature collapsed on its knees, and it's roar became a roar of pain.'

The hardest reviews to write are
Dayla
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

The beginning of May is riddled with a few zombie novels that have opened up the world of zombies for us beyond the usual shambling and insatiable creatures that haunt our dreams. T. Michael Martin's young adult debut, The End Games, plays perfectly into this genre-changing month with its unique take on the undead, and its very emotionally stimulating and raw internal struggle.
Faye, la Patata
An ARC was provided in exchange for a review. This in no way influenced my thoughts in any way.

Almost more than 24 hours later, I'm still a bit stumped and at a loss. No, no, it's not because this book gave me something to ponder on for days on end, rather, I simply found it difficult to gather my thoughts and coherently put them into words. Did this book have zombies? Well, yes, close enough. Was it entertaining? Yes. Did I like it? Yes and no. If that sounds fickle to you, it probably is, but
Jenni Arndt
Oct 31, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc-ebook
I only made it to chapter 4 in this novel. The third person POV wasn't working for me and I felt like the narrative was jumping all over and I couldn't get a grasp or a picture of anything that was happening. Then this sentence occurred: "They'd been old even when they'd found them in Ron's cabin, and being in the car had not done much in the way of making them less gaaaah." And now I just can't do it anymore.

DNF
Takiq
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Zombie books. Despite the fact that zombies have become somewhat of a fashion in YA fiction, I still haven't grown tired of books about dead people eating alive people. However, if you take an interesting zombie apocalypse plot and add a video and gemegames scenario, such as that in The End Games? Count me in.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Bear with me, please, because The End Games is one of those novels with a twist fairly early on that makes reviewing the book without spoilers difficult. Still, I shall endeavor to sum up my basic thoughts while not revealing anything not mentioned in the blurb. T. Michael Martin's debut is a very strange book in pretty much every way: the plot, the characters, and, most significantly, stylistically. All of this add up to distinguish the novel from other post-apocalyptics that take on the ...more
C.G. Drews
First: AAAAAHHHH!
Second: Zooombies, baby!

I picked up THE END GAMES for six billion reasons: I hadn’t read zombies before, it has “games” in the title, the cover is downright awesome, it stars a brother duo, and it’s a debut. All these made for insta-book-love, but what topped it off? Brilliant writing. Epic plot. Head-knocking ending. And Patrick.

I loveloveloved the brothers: 17-year-old Michael, and 5-year-old Patrick. Michael narrates, and wow, his voice is so fresh with a zing you can’t
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

I was really eager to read this book when I first saw it. The synopsis grabbed me from the beginning. I am all about a post apocalyptic book that involves humans fighting monsters to survive! HECK YEAH!

but....

It started off immediately throwing you into a survival scene with the main character, Michael and his little brother, Patrick. So I was like, Yeah here we go! and then they called the "monsters" by a name...Bellows? Ok I'm not so sure that the name did the monster justice because I just
Roberta Jayne
This is the second book I've read because John Green recommended it. And... I think I'm going to ignore John's recommendations from now on. No offense, my dear, I love YOUR books - I just don't like the books that YOU like.

Anyhow, it was the way this book was written that just didn't satisfy me at all. T. Michael Martin's style just is not effective, in my opinion, in achieving any sense of suspense, thrill or intrigue.

I honestly don't know why John raved about this book so much. Maybe there's
Stevie Finegan (SableCaught)
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
To see my video review:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7-C5...

Zombies, Zombies everywhere and not a moment to think!

The End Games by T. Michael Martin

22 days. It’s been 22 days since it all started, since the virus started to spread, since the dead started to rise, since Michael and his little brother Patrick set out alone. And somehow they have managed survive, hiding as best they can whenever the sun sets, looting deserted stores for supplies, killing the Bellows, the terrifying, once-human,
Kevin
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review? "REVIEWWWWW" (On that Bellow talk)

From the second I heard about this book, I knew I had to have it. So it's no surprise to me that I in fact ended up enjoying it as well!

The End Games combines some pretty "LOL-worthy" moments and zombies? I mean whats not to love? Martin's humor reminded me oh so much of the famous "John Green Prose," which I hear has created quite the fan base.

This one depicts the story of brothers Michael and Patrick. Michael the older brother and the protagonist of
Amber (Books of Amber)
Nov 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have absolutely nothing good to say about The End Games, so if you're a fan of this novel then I suggest you turn back now if you think you're going to be offended. I went into this novel expected to adore these two brothers while they helped each other survive the zombie apocalypse. You all know how I love my sibling relationships. But after finishing this book, I just feel underwhelmed and rather empty.

Full review on Books of Amber
Emily LaStrange
Jan 06, 2013 marked it as to-read
THAT COVER.

I DON'T KNOW WHY I LOVE THAT SO MUCH, BUT IT JUST LOOKS INCREDIBLY HAUNTING AND SO. SO. SO.
BEAUTIFUL.
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
Well. That was a ride of sorts.

I’m not sure I’m particularly happy with the ending, though. I don’t want to spoil anything, but good endings in zombie books are really hard to do. So imma just leave it at that.

Overall, this story was enjoyable. It took about 50 pages for me to get really into the action, but once things started moving, I started enjoying the story.

Is this book groundbreaking and/or original? Not necessarily. But let’s be honest, it’s really hard to tell a zombie story that
Reading Teen
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At a Glance:
Zombie books. Despite the fact that zombies have become somewhat of a fashion in YA fiction, I still haven't grown tired of books about dead people eating alive people. However, if you take an interesting zombie apocalypse plot and add a video game scenario, such as that in The End Games? Count me in.

Cover:
I have admitted many times to judging books by their covers. As much as I hate it, it's just something that I do. And I was immediately interested in The End Games after seeing the
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 5-stars
Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

You know how a main theme for me is romance, right? Well, fear not - there isn't really any in this book and you know what? It's perfectly okay. It's better than okay, actually! I know, you must be wondering if I'm feeling alright or something but I assure you, I am well. This book was brilliant and heartwarming and it made me anxious the whole time. The best aspect of this book, above all the action and adventure is the relationship between our main
Darlene
Well, I finished it. That’s saying something, right?

When I read the synopsis for The End Games, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it: A 17 year-old guy and his 5 year-old brother who survive an apocalypse and try to make their way to the Charleston Safe Zone, battling zombies (called "Bellows" in this book) along the way, so that they can be reunited with their mom. I love “end of the world” books, especially those with zombies. So, why did I have such a problem getting into it?

This was one of
David Wickham
Sep 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a mess of a book. I didn't like the plot or the characters.

I didn't buy that the CDC would fly people to Charleston, West Virginia in order to work on a vaccine for whatever they thought caused the zombie outbreak. Why not Pittsburgh which is less than an hour north of Charleston by air? Morgantown would even work since West Virginia University is there and would have more resources that a scientist would need.

The author made a comment about the Kanawha River which I took to mean that the
Gavin Abdollahi
“Everything not saved will be lost. –Nintendo “Quit Screen” message”

So, this book, huh...
On one hand, I quite liked it, and actually gave it four stars...
But on the other hand, it had quite a few problems, so I toned the rating down...

This was my first zombie novel, though, tbh, it wasn't what I was looking for. I was looking for... you know, Zombies, mindless, non-speaking and creepy, not talking dead things that reminded me of the Freaks (view spoiler)
Yami
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply Ya-ya.....
this book is a bitter sweet , the brotherhood relationship between Michel and Patrick, is so heart squeezing beautiful. it might be a Zombie themed book, but it is way more than that, I think the last thing that was actually scary throughout the book were the "Bellows"
the character of Michel the older brother, so protective, so bewildered, he is such a complicated chr. that you are cant help but feel sympathy for him, he is been through so much , and things he did and had to
Anna

Not that much romance.

Not cliche.

Good writing.

Well-developed characters.

UHM, YES PLEASE. *hugs book* Aughh this book. So many feels from this. Sure, it was about zombies, and they were all creepy and stuff. Sure, there were lots of plot twists and at some points it was downright crazy to the point where you can't put it down.

But, in The End (*cackles because I see what I did there*), I personally think that it was really just about Michael
Heidi Maloney
Ugh! This book. I give it three stars because the story, well, SOME PARTS of the story are so cool and SO GRIPPING. I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen. BUT there were some major flaws: TYPOS, which are just unacceptable to me, were scattered throughout the book. IMAGED instead of imagined was used several times. Really? Who proofed this?! Then, there's the main character's voice. WTF is a "yes-yes?" You never find out!! There were several key moments where tension built and then ...more
Aimee Meester
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*deep breathing*

*heavier breathing*

*hyperventilating*

Okay, full disclosure. I have a weakness for apocalypse novels, and especially zombie novels, when they're done well. It's a shame so many of them are actually stereotypical and lame, but hey. This was definitely not one of those.

The End Games is a story about siblings. Brothers, to be precise. It's a story about sticking together with family, and about being there for each other, and as someone with a little brother the same age as
Jack C.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished an Advanced Reading Copy of The End Games and it rocks from the first page to the very last word. Action, Drama, and Teen Romance set amidst a young man’s will to survive, thrive and protect his younger brother in a zombie apocalypse. It just does not get any better than that. Oh and did I mention there are ZOMBIES.

There are lots of twists and turns along with the way. I could not put the book down. This will make an EXCELLENT movie!
Vivian Choy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing zombie novel and it is honestly one of the best books that I've read in a while. The amount of thrill and twists made this book a page turner and the characters were solid, well built and easy to relate to. I absolutely loved the relationship between Michael and his brother, Patrick. I am dying to know what happens after the end, though.
Evey
Disappointing.

Written in a style I didn't like nor feel particularly engaged with, The End Games turned out to be a lackluster. The story dragged on, filled with reflexions that didn't add much to the story, or that simply made it slower. The zombies weren't really that scary, and the ending was too perfectly wrapped up to be believable in the least.

• Nyxia Uprising (The Nyxia Triad, #3)
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad, #2)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • The Women in the Walls
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • Munmun
  • The Wild (The Secret Journeys of Jack London, #1)
  • Night of the Howling Dogs
  • The Quillan Games (Pendragon, #7)
  • Charade (Games, #1)
  • The First Days (As the World Dies, #1)
  • The Thin Executioner
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • Dark Moonlighting (Dark Moonlighting, #1)
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • The Cure for Dreaming
T. Michael Martin is a novelist and screenwriter who holds a B.F.A. in Filmmaking from University of North Carolina School of the Arts. He was inspired to write his debut novel, The End Games (Balzer + Bray 2013), by his own younger brother, Patrick, and their shared love of zombie movies. He currently lives with his wife in West Virginia.

VLOG: http://www.youtube.com/tmikemartin