Start by marking “Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection” as Want to Read:
Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection

Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection

(Batgirl (2011) #1)

As a part of the acclaimed DC Comics—The New 52 event of September 2011, Barbara Gordon is finally back as Batgirl!

The nightmare-inducing brute known as Mirror is destroying the lives of Gotham City citizens seemingly at random. Will Barbara be able to survive her explosive confrontation with this new villain, as well as facing dark secrets from her past? A new
Published July 17th 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batgirl, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Joseph De La Cruz Probably "The Killing Joke" because it's canon that The Joker paralyzes her and maybe something that has her as Oracle. I don't know exactly what…moreProbably "The Killing Joke" because it's canon that The Joker paralyzes her and maybe something that has her as Oracle. I don't know exactly what because I'm new to the whole DC Universe but I know some facts.(less)

Start your review of Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection
Jayson
(B+) 78% | Good
Notes: It elicits introspection from the shadows of things, by contrast and simile, in bespoke villains, affinity, recall and trial.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I enjoyed this book and loved the graphics. Absolutely loved them.

The story line was great as well. I may come back later and add pictures, but you can look at all the other reviews.

I liked certain other characters put in appearances in the book as well.

Of course now I want to collect them all and there are so many that I want and I DON'T have the winning lottery ticket, so . . . . . . .
Anne
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Babs is back!
And better than ever!?

Well, no.
And maybe, yes.

description

See, I'm one of those who has been rooting for someone to stick Barbara Gordon's ass in a Lazarus Pit for years. Get her outta that chair!
So, the thought of the original Batgirl finally coming back made my inner geek do somersaults. Yay!
Yeah, I liked Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain, but I wanted Barbara. Nobody could take her place. Ever.
And I fback!
And
Jeff
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The Joker shooting and paralyzing Barbara Gordon is one of those iconic moments in comics. Sick, twisted, yet memorable. The New 52 Batgirl iteration treads on dangerous ground by having her legs restored and having her don the cape and cowl again, but Gail Simone makes it work in one of the few New 52 revamps that had some legs, at least in this volume.

The cure itself isn’t dwelled on, but the trauma still haunts Barbara and getting back into crime fighting shape isn’t easy. The bad guys still hit hard.

As Batgirl attempts to get her mind and body back in the game, she goes up against Mirror, a villain, who wants to take back miracles that were visited upon Gothamites. Bastard!!!

Simone creates some nice symmetry between the anti-miracle Mirror and Barbara’s gratitude for her own medical miracle.

Bottom Line - A decent New 52 Batbook; it goes down easier than Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology. It kind of loses momentum with the second story in this volume, but still worth giving a look.

Will someone please press the damned elevator button already?

Calista
Barbara Gordon is back. I had heard that there was a story were Barbara Gordon was paralyzed from the waist down. This story picks up after that and she is now walking again. She decides to take her new mobile freedom and go back to fighting crime where she can get hurt again.

We have a running commentary about what is going on in her head. Also, she and Nightwing used to be a thing of some kind and now we don’t know where they stand. There is also tension between Barbara and her new roommate.

T
Khurram
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story, great are work. I became a fan of Ardian Syaf's art work from his work in Superman Earth One vol 3, and the Batman Superman recent issues. His art work every bit as good here.

Barbara Gorgon is back as Batgirl. This is not a complete reboot in the new 52. The events of the Killing Joke did happen. The Joker did shoot her in the spine, she was wheelchair bound for a number of year. Now finally through a mix of physiotherapy and an experimental new surgery she is back on her
Corey
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
When DC first announced New 52, I didn't understand the reasoning behind it. If they were going to reboot their superhero universe, why do it halfway? Why not jettison decades of overly complicated continuity and start fresh?

That question went double for Batgirl. Barbara Gordon hadn't been active as Batgirl in the DC Universe for over 20 years, and she absolutely deserved a starring role in her own contemporary comic. But again, if you're rebooting continuity, why preserve the events
David Schaafsma
Okay, this surprised me, and I like it. I only read it because 1) Lauren recommended it to me as one of the strongest entries in the New 52 (ugh), and 2) because I will likely teach another YA GN courses next summer and want to read stuff I didn't use this summer.

Barbara Gordon, the comish's daughter, once paralyzed by the Joker, is back on her feet. And strong, thanks to Simone, and the artwork is solid. She's complex--has survivor's guilt!--and has to face Mirror, in a couple ways, as villain
Steph
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing

photo batgirl-nightwing-new-52-2_zps3c3d72ba.jpg

We used to chase each other like this. Two kids flirting in a way only a handful of people on Earth could ever match. He with his acrobatics... and me with my ballet.

Everyone else can go home, basically.
Sam Quixote
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl! As most people know, her character was shot in the spine and crippled by the Joker in Alan Moore’s “The Killing Joke” and for years afterwards was in a wheelchair, becoming Batman’s tech support as Oracle. With the New 52 relaunch last year, she was controversially taken out of the wheelchair to become Batgirl once again. Interestingly, the events of the “Killing Joke” still happened but 3 years of physiotherapy and pioneering surgery has taken Barbara from the ...more
Steve
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, the classic one everyone was harping for before the reboot and everyone was cursing when this was announced. First thing to note is that "The Killing Joke" did occur so she was paralyzed and she was Oracle but now she's been healed.

Barbara Gordon is handled by the only person suitable to handle Barbara Gordon's return, Gail Simone, the writer who made her name by establishing the modern Barbara Gordon. This Barbara Gordon is very interesting as she's c
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I went into the New 52's "Batgirl" series with very mixed feelings. On the one hand, I enjoyed many stories with the Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown Batgirls, and I was saddened to see those stories apparently wiped out of existence. Also, I was a huge fan of the stellar Birds of Prey runs by Chuck Dixon & Gail Simone, so again, the idea that DC was reversing all of that didn't sit too well with me.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke", the story in
Paz R.M.
First Read: 10/04/2014: 4 Stars
Second Read: 08/21/2016: 4 Stars

Lots of people love Babs as Oracle, but this time around, a younger Barbara is back as Batgirl.
Three years ago the Joker shot Barbara and left her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara spent years on a wheelchair, but thanks to a risky new surgery she's healed and ready to come back to her old self. Or at least that's what she's trying to do.

Her scars run deep and she's struggling to find herself and to heal. She's afraid, but
Crystal Starr Light
Another winner! Even a comic newbie like me could enjoy this and not get lost in missed backstory.

Oh and you know what? This was the sort of carefree, laid-back, no-nonsense voice Laurell K. Hamilton attempted with Anita Blake and succeeded in only making Anita sound like an arrogant brat. Here, it works beautifully.

I'll need a pay raise to be able to follow all these great comic series I keep finding.
Nikki
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed my first foray into Batgirl -- certainly much more than I did the volume of Batman I choked down a while back for a class. Barbara Gordon is fun, and I have a thing for redheads anyway, I liked the art and her interactions with Bruce Wayne, and it's a good introduction for someone new to DC.

I had two nitpicks. One, I didn't think terribly much of the villains. They seemed almost too easily dealt with, like Gail Simone was starting Batgirl out soft because of the p
James DeSantis
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was okay. 2.5 is what I'd give it. Solid art (that one shot of her ass was odd but okay) and the overall storylines feel very disconnected at points. However, this volume does have redeeming values.

One thing I loved was her interaction with Dick, bruce, and her roommate. They all felt well crafted and had heart. Jim's interaction was decent as well. However, the mother relationship felt a little forced, and didn't mend well. Also the villains main reasoning was...dumb? I didn't feel it.

So
Mike
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
We get the nickel tour of Barbara Gordon's highlights reel: good father, eidetic memory, was in a wheelchair, shot by Joker, part of Batman's posse. Reasonably well-executed exposition.

I am aware of the history of the character, how much Gail Simone loves her and is invested in how much she means to fans, and how controversial the change (out of the chair) is.

Keeping all that in context, I cant help but find Barbara's first chapter a little melodramatic. I'm hoping that's
Jesse A
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Wasn't in love with this one. Might be a member of the bat family I can do without.
Lauren
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Batgirl is well and truly back!

Barbara Gordon, who most consider to be the true Batgirl, has overcome her paralysis to once again fight crime on Gotham's streets and bring those pesky criminals to justice.

I absolutely loved this re-vamped version of Batgirl and tore through the book wishing it was longer. I think Simone has done a wonderful job in capturing Gordon's spunky personality and the illustrations are crystal clear and simply beautiful. The atmosphere is dark right from the
Brittany

***Pink Taco Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! Female Lead this time: Barbara Gordon a.k.a. Batgirl***

This was my first encounter with Batgirl. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it.

The first chapter was a lot of new information for me. I think it bogged me down, to be honest. But it was all info that I needed in order to know what the hell was going on. My favorite part about this volume was that the two separate stories were mysteries. Very different from the X-Men a
Sesana
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
So many mixed feelings here. I wasn't exactly excited about the whole concept. I loved Barbara as Oracle, and I felt like she was, overall, a really positive character. The idea of handwaving her disability away because guys who had crushes on her as Batgirl when they were kids want to erase the last 24 years of her in another role. And I was right, in a way. The end result was to handwave away her disability (she got some sort of surgery somewhere or other, and it happened long before the first issu ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Barbara Gordon is (and always was, really), easy to like. She's chatty, and would be a fun buddy. So why am I stopping at 3 stars? I don't think Batgirl as a character has the gravitas to hold up on her own. The very best parts of this are when Batgirl is with another hero. The section with Nightwing is poetic and touching, and the section where she guards Bruce Wayne is brilliant. When she's alone she lacks gravitas. This isn't really Simone's fault: she does as well as anyone could have.
Nicole
My first Batgirl story and the first time I’ve read a superhero graphic novel written by a woman. It’s nice to get an authentic female point of view in such a story for a change. The plot threads were quite good; there was a lot stuffed in there. I liked how Barbara was able to go toe-to-toe with her friends Nightwing and Batman and how she wanted to prove herself on her own without relying on them to rescue her. She’s tough; but she’s still vulnerable, both in terms of her recovery from the gun ...more
Donovan
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it

Who is Batgirl? Babs Gordon takes a gutshot from Joker which lands her in a wheelchair. This is the story of her fighting demons and getting out of the chair to return the favor. Like Batman but with hope, Batgirl wants revenge and to just change the world. Gail Simone writes Batgirl with grit, humor and heart. She is a light in the darkness, hope to despair, triumph to tragedy. If you need some optimism after a solo Batman binge, try this on.
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gail Simone proved that she can write Barbara Gordon for years in Birds of Prey, so she's the obvious fit for the Batgirl New 52 series. Of course, this is a slightly different Batgirl than before, having now survived and recovered from her attack by the Joker made famous in the Killing Joke, and she now has a new lease on life as she returns to crime fighting.

The uncertainty in Barbara's narrative shines through, as does her optimism about the future, although her doubts about herse
Miguel
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
Amazing!!! Super "dark" and deep! With a lot f twists and wtf moments (good moments)!!! AMAZING!!! Love Barbara!
Peter Derk
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Batgirl is unparalyzed. Apparently by some weird surgical procedure done in South America or something (South America being the home of revolutions in surgical science). I'm fine with that. I can live with that. Let's face it, there was a period in the 90's when it seemed like every lineup of buddies in a comic or cartoon included a guy in a wheelchair, right? Which was alright, but they seemed to always be making the point that people in wheelchairs could do everything everyone else could do. W ...more
Alan
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Another of my belated catch ups in the New 52 DC reboot. This title, one of the soft reboots, was in some ways one of the more controversial. The DC mandate to Gail Simone (who indulges her inner fan girl a little in this TPB) was that Barbara Gordon would resume the costume replacing vocal fan favorites Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown. Another voice heard from that of disabled rights activists (and this I do agree with) saying that turning Barbara back into Batgirl and away from the wheelcha ...more
Rachel
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I devoured this story, enjoying every detail on characters I've wanted to read but never had access to. I can only hope my school library brings in more.

We had Barbara Gordon as Batgirl after being shot by the Joker, miraculously able to walk after being in a wheelchair. She returns as Batgirl, vulnerability and unsureness in situations showing her transition from trauma to a hero. We had a adorable scene with Nightwing and after all their fun she says she wants to fight independentl
Roy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Something about this didnt work for me and I dont know what. The art was good, the story was ok even if the pace was up and down in places. For some reason I didnt get that feeling of being hooked. Probably wont continue right away. Will postpone this series.
Goodreads Librari...: Separate series? 2 17 Jun 16, 2015 07:57AM

• Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 1: Redemption
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Bulletproof
  • Batwoman: Elegy
  • Teen Titans, Volume 1: It's Our Right to Fight
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".

Batgirl (2011) (8 books)