Start by marking “Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five” as Want to Read:
Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five

Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five

(Fables: The Deluxe Edition #5)

Bill Willingham's hit series Fables continues here, for the first time in hardcover. In the aftermath of the Adversary's attack on Fabletown, Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity! Plus, the 2-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fablet ...more
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 304 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables

Start your review of Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Five
Jeannette Nikolova
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

I feel like there was a bit of bad period for Fables around Vol. 2-3, but then it started picking up pace here and I’m really happy with the current progression. I see a development both in the characters that we already have as people, a narrative progression towards the Adversary, and an increase of fable characters, which I highly appreciate.

My favourite part of this deluxe edition, however, were the 1001 Nights of Snowfall. I thought that that was
Arielle Walker
I did NOT see that coming!

The Adversary is... Nope, didn't expect that, mind is blown. Also Boy Blue is ridiculously awesome. I'm kinda hoping on a Rose Red and Boy Blue thing happening at some point... (Doubtful but hoping)
Alex
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-indies
This is the volume with the big revelation we've been all expecting, and what a plot twist it was! It's adversary time! An easy 5/5 for the finale of the first cycle of fables.
Relstuart
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dc
Really enjoyed the story with Boy Blue returning to the homelands and finding out the identity of the Adversary that chased from their homes to hiding on Earth.

The Arabian Nights story was a very creative way to work in some other artists.
Chaitra
Yeah! We finally know who the adversary is, and he's decidedly NOT who I expected. Boy Blue journeys to the Homelands with his witching cloak to rescue Red Riding Hood. The cloak helps him pass several gates, and right into the court of the adversary. He swipes the adversary's head off with a swing of his sword, but then. I think Boy Blue is my third favorite character of all of Fables, right after Bigby and Snow. This section is great, and I would think so even if the reveal of the adversary wa ...more
Bookishrealm
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another great introduction to the Fables world and the craziness that is about to ensue. I absolutely adored and loved everything about this volume including finding out who the adversary is and why he decided to conquer so many lands. I didn't realize it at the time, but this volume also includes information related to the volume Arabian Nights and Days. It was great to see characters that were considered to be Fables from the Middle East. I don't remember thinking about this when I re ...more
Vlad
This is a god damn good fucking volume. I mean it. I'm impressed.

Homelands. Geppetto. The Adversary. Snow Queen. Boy Blue. D'Jinns. Foreshadowing to Aladin and Ali Baba. And that random mention of Lugoj and Timisoara, Romanian cities. This. This was the best volume so far. I pray to God that all the next books will be just as good, or even better.
Barbara McEwen
2.5 stars - I liked Boy Blue returning to Fable Lands but wasn't a fan of Jack's Hollywood storyline or the very cheesy Arabian storyline. These last few volumes have been hit an miss for me.
Arctialuna
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Finally I decided to buy Fables in the original version (I've read the first 4 books in spanish) and at least I can say I have not been suffering about how they translated the names of every fable as I was reading it.

I have serious issues with Fables. I LOVE the edition, the covers and the art of it. But the story is another thing. I want to know how it continues but I'm not sure if the price is fitting with this desire.
While I'm reading it I am not sure if I am enjoying it that much, the writti
Meagan
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is up to volume five, so I'm going to proceed on the assumption that anyone reading book five in this series already knows the basic story and whether or not they're interested in continuing the series. No plot review. Nothing too much beyond "I liked this volume."

Instead, a list of my favorite Fables, many of whom were most decidedly not my favorites before reading this series:

1. Bigby Wolf
2. Snow White
3. Little Boy Blue
4. Frau Totenkinder (aka the witch of Hansel & Gretel fame, even thoug
Jeff Raymond
If I have any complaints at all about Fables, it's that we quickly get to the point where there are a lot of transitional stories. In this volume, the one significant plot moving the timeline forward is the three-part Arabian Nights arc. While we do get a spinoff arc for Jack and get the identity of the Adversary, the way this deluxe hardcover was set up didn't really create a good narrative separation.

Outside of that? Another solid entry. The Blue and Arabian arcs were great, with the Jack one
Aildiin
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This edition contains three stories.
Jack in Holywood is average, the other two ( Homelands and Arabian Nights) are very good.
We finally learn the identity of the adversary in this book (in Homelands, during Blue boy trip back to the Homelands).
At 296 pages this is one of the biggest deluxe edition too, all in all I would say that so far this is my favorite Fables deluxe book with Vol 3 ( because March of the Wooden soldier in vol 3 is probably the best story so far).

Sam
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love reading this series. The characters and storylines are great. I don't know why I put this aside for so long, but I'll probably pick up Deluxe Edition Book Six pretty soon.
Apollo Rock It!
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great edition in this series. Can't wait to read more.
Raj
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The major arc in this volume of the always marvellous Fables series describes Boy Blue's return to the Homelands on a secret mission. And in the process, he retrieves huge amounts of intelligence, and finally uncovers the identity of the Adversary. Despite hints in previous volumes, I must confess that it took me by surprise, but it totally works (and his description of his rise to power is chilling). And Boy Blue is pretty awesome as a lone hero, cutting a swathe through the Empire on his missi ...more
Joseph Born
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vertigo
Fables finally reveals who the mysterious and all powerful Adversary is... This oversized hardcover collects issues #34 through #45. To start, we get a two issue arc focusing on what Jack did when he ditched Fabletown and absconded with a small fortune. It's a pretty fun side story, and sets up his solo series he got.

The next arc, Homelands, sees Boy Blue return to the fabled lands to rescue Red Riding Hood and stop the Adversary. This arc is very spoilery heavy, so I can't say much. But we see
Kristen
Just realized that these are the versions I'm getting from the library, not the ones I was adding before, oops.

I think this was one of the strongest issues so far. Except for Jack's boring storyline, I really loved getting to see what the Homelands are like now and getting to finally find out who the Adversary is, and boy, was it a surprise! I was less intrigued by the Arabian nights storyline but I'm actually enjoying getting to see other characters get a crack at being the government of Fablet
Chiara
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best collection of stories so far.
I love the fact that the author(s) always finds a way to give a very human character to the stories of the non so human fables.
In this issue the main theme seems to be culture, both from the perspective of assimilation and inclusion and from the point of view of exploitation for profit.
Boy Blue gets the chance to show what he can really accomplish and we finally get to know the Adversary in person.
This series is pure genious and I am looking forward to read t
Madison
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things are finally starting to be a little less white! Not that it isn't still a pretty stereotypical of "Arabian Fables," but at least we're starting to branch out. I loved the Jack story at the beginning, and the Big Reveal about the Adversary was actually quite satisfying, and I'm curious about how it's going to play out.
Robert Felton
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Begins with the truly inspired "Jack Be Nimble" story of Jack (of Jack & Jill) becoming a major Hollywood player. The story was so funny and exhilarating, I figured that the book would not be able to match its cleverness with the subsequent "Boy Blue" and Arabian Knights" stories and it does not. But still a wonderful introduction into the bizarre world of Fabletown. I throughly enjoyed it. ...more
Erik
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
The Jack story was interesting, but I felt it could have been just a single issue. Homelands was a solid action story and the reveal of the Adversary was well done. The final story introduces several Arabian Fables that could make for some good stories in the future, though we mostly got setup in this volume.
Cecilia
The first part was (for me) a reread of Homelands but the second part was new. Loved to see Sinbad in this volume, because his story was a favorite of mine when I was younger. It was a good reading.
Patrice
I'm continuing to enjoy this series. All if the characters are so richly developed and complex and the story is fascinating. The introduction of different international Fables in this book was a particularly fun turn.
Ine
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I simply love this comic series!
ellie
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
i'm really loving these new fables coming into the story, finding out the truth of some and such. though i am missing one fable and of course he probably wont be back till WAY later :/
Luly Ceballos
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb! Can't stop reading them.
Brian Tague
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Finally discover who the adversary is and boy blue is an awesome hero.
Leticia
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of Boy Blue and the Adversary was really interesting. I wonder if Red Riding Rood will get more of a story too?
Stephen D'Cruz
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a surprise this book turned out to be. Loved the adventures of Boy Blue in the homelands.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Two
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Three
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Cinderella: Fables are Forever (Vol. 2)
  • Fábulas: Edición de lujo - Libro 3 (3a edición)
  • Fábulas 2
  • Locke & Key: Master Edition Volume One
  • Mort Cinder
  • おやすみプンプン 2
  • Descender: The Deluxe Edition Volume 2
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Scene of the Crime: A Little Piece of Goodnight
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many year ...more

Fables: The Deluxe Edition (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Two