Start by marking “The Invisibles” as Want to Read:
The Invisibles

The Invisibles

(The Invisibles Omnibus)

A #1 New York Times Best Seller!

Collecting for the first time ever all three volumes of controversial and fan-loved series THE INVISIBLES by Eisner Award winning writer Grant Morrison (ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, BATMAN)! Follow the adventures of The Invisibles, a secret organization out to battle against physical and psychic oppression brought upon humanity by the inte
Hardcover, Omnibus, 1536 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Vertigo (DC Comics) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisibles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisibles

Start your review of The Invisibles
Anne
Feb 05, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF 54 pages.
I can't do it. This has a very rah-rah-anarchy-punk! feel to it that just doesn't interest me at this point in my life. Or maybe at any point in my life.
Top it off with trippy dream sequences and nonsensical sentences that are supposed to sound brooding and introspective, but just leave me feeling like shaking the characters and yelling Just SAY what you mean, goddammit! <--I am not hip

</b></i></i></span>
  <span id=DNF 54 pages.

description

Absolutely no offense to all the fans of this series, but I'm too old and too square to get it. Every time I look at this giant monstrosity sitting on my kitchen table, I just shudder and turn away. And after a week of doing this, I'm pretty sure it's alright to call a time of death.
Donovan
Magic, psychic war, time travel, espionage. But how about that ending.

This series educated me, the reader, on both sides of the psychic war, mostly The Invisibles, the good guys, and their wacky and diversionary quest for truth, whatever that is. The double-edged sword is that while limitations don't exist here, the story goes off the rails and becomes a sort of rambling psychedelic prayer. That everything is everything, and whatever that means we should gobble up that truth and amen. Unfortuna
Joey Comeau
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you feel different just by reading it. It makes you pay more attention to the world, to the weird small things, to ideas and to other people, and most of all to yourself. It is the kind of book that makes you go crazy in the very best way, so that you believe in magic and in secret underground cities and in the connectedness of all things sort of, but you know, not in a flaky way. It makes you want to burn something down, and then after you do, it doesn't le ...more
Martín
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's a complete mindfuck. Multiple readings mandatory.
Paritosh Joshi
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Invisibles Omnibus made me finally get off my lazy ass and join a gym, so I could build my scrawny self up into the Flex Mentallo-esque burly man-god this handsomely bound collected edition was obviously designed to be read by. The book is heavy, the ideas are heavier, and you will never be the same again, once The Invisibles is done reading you.
Tintinrulz
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is probably the singular most difficult book I've ever reviewed. Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" isn't your average comic book fare. It's a massive tome (almost 1,500 pages in length), high-concept and very adult. The writing is an interesting combination of philosophical intelligence and complete bollocks. It doesn't adhere to any one genre. While the content is often fascinating, the story is much too long and lacks cohesion. The art is wildly inconsistent - everything from poor to bril ...more
Lee Battersby
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Month by month this may have seemed like a revolution in comic book storytelling, but collected into one volume it quickly becomes apparent just how slapdash the whole thing is: storylines are picked up from nowhere and abandoned partway through, characters are followed through adventures that bear no relation to the overarching plot simply because Morrison finds them shinier than the central narrative for a while, and the whole thing rapidly begin to resemble an unscripted, unholy mess.

I have
Daniel Parks
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For the love of Buddha, LSD, orgasms and microchips, read The Invisibles now! The fate of our ultradimensional hypertime continuum depends on it!

Seriously, read this mind copulater at once. The omnibus is one hefty, unwieldy SOB, but it's worth it, especially to aspiring comics creators, for the inclusion of Grant's proposal for the series that he pitched to Vertigo as well as original sketches, etc. I also enjoyed the essays from the letters pages of the original comics. A very cool
Bruno Carriço
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
"its not you, its me"

Sorry Morrison, i really tried to like your book, but couldn't... i'm probably too dumb for your master piece.

Perhaps when i'm older and wiser I can try to re-read it, and with the added knowledge of the age I might be able to understand it than... but now, man: I HATED every single page of it!

Sorry Morrison, but its over... take your things out of my house. I don't want to see you anymore.
Chris
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
I am re-reading this epic for the 4th or 5th time which seems fitting with the 12.21.12 date approaching. I'm not going to give a normal review of this book since there are so many out there already that do a better job than I would. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invi...

This comic book series left a huge impression on me. I was familiar with Grant's work from Doom Patrol so I knew it would be good. I picked it up issue by issue as it came out on the comic book shelf starting in Sept. of 94. I had graduated from HighSchool
Derek
The Invisibles is a total mind-fuck, Oh, but how an awesome a read it is, all three volumes of it. Definitely deserves a few more rereads … If you asked me what the series was about, I wouldn't even know where to start, but that's more a comment on the book than on me, though in its defense, I'm probably not on the same wave length the book is intended for… Its taken a couple of months to complete this mammoth viscera of quantum mechanics, Freudian antiquations, absurdist philosophy and wry syfy ...more
Matt Shaw
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had a vasectomy back in 2005, and an old friend of mine came by the day my brother drove me home. This cat knew I was a huge Terence McKenna fan-so he dropped the first lot of Grant's books on me. I had never been a comic guy, and wasn't hip to graphic novels either. Needless to say-He blew my mind!!! Both my old friend for being so far out as to let me handle these treasures and Grant for whipping me into a frenzy on all levels.
Now, with the whole collection in one book-I'm chewing on it lik
Simon Green
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read this three times now and every time I come away with something new.

I love every second, despite its flaws.

Every time I read The Invisibles, I feel energised. I want to read every author and idea that is referenced. I want to go on adventures and have my own meeting with Barbelith.

This is the book that truly made me a Grant Morrison fan - even though it wasn't the first of his works that I had read.

I know I will read this again, and if you haven't read it yet t
Schlomo Rabinowitz
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is so much going on in this in terms of our modern cultural zeitgeist that it should be required reading in first year college. It's that important of a piece of storytelling.
Youseuf Suliman
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A psychedelic fueled trip into a world where every conspiracy theory imaginable is a reality...whatever reality seems to be. Grant Morrison guides us from the Mersey river of Liverpool to the demonic capitalist orgies at the edge of time. Every mind-bending turn of the page is filled with philosophy, provocation and psilocybin. Fasten your seatbelts (If you think it will help), you're in for a ride.
Keith
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just finished The Invisibles last week and, just to be sure I knew how I felt about it, reread it all in one shot over the past weekend. Still struggling to put my feelings into words, I submit this Youtube video instead. It's only 4 mins long and basically covers the entire 1,500 page series, so check it out and be rewinded to the days of old battles:

The Invisibles or "this is how we trip at school"
Joshua Byrd
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ragtag team saves the world using psychedelia. Pretty good.
Saif Saeed
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
I have mixed feelings about this book.

This is Grant Morrison at his most experimental. If you read Doom Patrol and thought to yourself:

"Somebody needs to rewrite this to have a global conspiracy, time travel, magic, demons, and have the main character be the most boring person ever. Then they need to shuffle the pages of the manuscript. Then they need to remove every seventh page."

That would probably be The Invisibles.

This ventures into territory p
John Pistelli
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
My review is too image-heavy for Goodreads, but please visit my site to read it if you're interested. It begins like this:
This will be a pitch, an ad. You should read The Invisibles. Certainly those of you who have been reading some of the other things I write about here: not only Alan Moore, but also Herman Melville, James Joyce, Thomas Pynchon, Don DeLillo, and Grant's alt-universe sister, Toni Morrison.
Read more...
Jim
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mixing time travel, romance, horror, philosophy, sociology, political violence, magic, mythology, action and tons of style, The Invisibles remains Morrison's magnum opus. Fully exploring the many mind-bending themes that have characterised his work for decades, it uses the story of an ontological terrorist collective to critique violence, tyranny and limited worldviews, all while telling a gripping story about a young man coming of age in the midst of a drawn-out apocalypse.

Sounds cr
Andy Raptis
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Obviously a big influence to the Matrix films, this plays a lot with the ideas found in The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. There is some strong stuff on display but due to the pointless action and the uninteresting characters, not as mind blowing as it ought to be. Some parts were downright boring, and disjointed narration keeps the whole thing from coming together. Visually, its a miracle for most of the time.
Seth Mnookin
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this in seven individual volumes, which made it easier; this is a bear of a book. Grant Morrison is a comics legend and The Invisibles may be his magnum opus; you need to have a strong stomach for the weird and occasionally gory (these are definitely graphic graphic novels), but I absolutely devoured them.
Jack Winter(Frost)
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This comic series/book changed my life. Words simply cannot express the gravitas & elegance of Morrison's writing in this series
Christopher
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Why I picked it up
I remembered starting it a long time ago, but couldn't remember whether I had finished it or not. It comes highly recommended and I usually like counter-culture, paranoid conspiracy stories.

Why I finished it
I really enjoyed the first half of the story as we initiated Dane into urban magic and the hidden world. On this, the second read-through, I caught some stuff I missed the first time: allusions to the possibility that both sides might not actually be on different si/>Why
John
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series frequently vascilates between 3 and 5 Stars. Collected in one volume, brings a sense of cohesion and clarity and vision to the series. The clarity that this was an organic, evolving work-in-progress until the very end. It's a true testament and tome of 90s idiosyncrasies. Very few people get the runway that Grant got to play with--and it wasn't all smooth sailing. But the failure and misteps (while not always forgivable) also making it endearing.

This series is intense and now a bit
Michael
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
How to encapsulate nearly 1500 pages in a brief paragraph...? I think The Invisibles is kind of brilliant, and that cuts in many ways. It is exciting, curious, philosophical, violent, subversive. It's also prone to lengthy metaphysical diatribes of mixed effectiveness, as Morrison's own interests weave in and out of the readers' own proclivities. "Arcadia" wasn't too complex - the historical characters were boring and dynamically unappealing, with de Sade a shallow attempt at edginess. The compl ...more
Mario Mikon
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's kinda of a magic the fact that I gave it 5 stars, even though I really hate people/books/anything that sounds too complicated or pompous/presumptuous.

Still, I gave it a 5 star.

I guess, in a first read, if you ignore the BS, or at lest what sound BD, you'll actually get an awesome adventure, with lots of action, cool ideas and, specially, an awesome character development. At the end of Volume 2 you'll most likely care about the characters as if they are all your old f
Sam Julian
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty great, though I thought it had a little trouble wrapping up. The climax was confusingly staged and seemed to have lower stakes than earlier episodes. And while I am generally in favor of switching up art styles for dramatic effect, it happened so often and seemingly without purpose in the end that it only served to exacerbate the confusion. Like a lot of Grant Morrison, this was clearly brilliant but a little too dense and scattered to fully enjoy.
LucianTaylor
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now this is what I call a story that opens you up in a Magickal and mystical way. Grant Morrison is a genius. Love everything he does. A true Magickian and a free spirit. This book can be seen as a sort of comic version to point to enlightment and exposes sybolically the darkness that keeps human kind mentally blind and enslaved for ages.
John Zamas
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's a very entertaining read. It may be challenging if you want to go deeper and understand its core meanings-it definitely helps if you are familiar with the works of some of its inspirations (Philip K. Dick e.t.c) but ultimately it's just pure fun.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Planetary Omnibus (Planetary, #1-4)
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Astonishing X-Men Omnibus
  • Harrow County, Vol. 6: Hedge Magic
  • Harrow County, Vol. 8: Done Come Back
  • Harrow County, Vol. 3: Snake Doctor
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

The Invisibles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Invisibles, Volume 1: Say You Want a Revolution
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 2: Apocalipstick
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 4: Bloody Hell in America
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 5: Counting to None
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 6: Kissing Mister Quimper
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom
  • The Invisibles Book One Deluxe Edition (The Invisibles Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • The Invisibles Book Two Deluxe Edition