Start by marking “Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism” as Want to Read:

First published in 2002, this guide pioneered the idea that hormones play a key role in weight loss and weight control. Writing in clear, simple terms, Dr. Isaacs profiles each hormone system, discussing what can go wrong and how imbalances can affect weight and even perpetuate obesity. The book explains how to reverse symptoms of hormonal imbalance through diet changes an ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Bull Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hormonal Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hormonal Balance

Start your review of Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism
Andrecrabtree
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I learned a few things from this book, and had a lot that I already knew reinforced.
1. Sleep is very, very important.
2. Stress management is critical.
3. Exercise. Everyday!
4. Belly fat is evil, even a little bit.
5. Insulin resistance is a major problem. And all of the above contribute to it in an insidious feedback loop.

The diet itself was no great surprise to me, just how central it is to a health hormone balance. Until recently I had the naive opinion it was all about calories,
Roewoof
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this on a whim, as I'm really interested in how the role that hormones play on the body, and especially when it comes to weight, and the effect it has on the female body at large.

I did know quite a bit about biology and hormones when I read this, so a lot of the information felt very basic and redundant. I find that the book moves at an almost agonizingly slow pace, and he repeats information over and over, which was incredibly annoying. However, perhaps to a person who hasn't been expos
Sher
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book more for the information on hormones than for weight loss . Many different hormonal problems are covered in addition to a detailed explanation of the various hormones in our body-what they are and how they work. Plus a fascinating and detailed account of how food affects hormones and so how we feel. Metabolism is covered also. A chapter for women in their reproductive years and also a chapter for peri and post menopausal women. Did you know fat cells produce estrogen? The author ...more
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very well written and eye opening! Of course the connection between hormones and weight control makes perfect sense and I can't help but wonder why it is not addressed more often.
Quite useful for those wanting to get healthy not just lose weight! This one will remain on my reference shelf for sure!
Beth
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was interested in this book for the information provided on thyroid issues but wound up reading the whole book. It provides information on hormonal balance that can be useful even to those people who are not trying to lose weight.
Morgan
Very in-depth look at the effects of hormones on the body, as well as hormonal disorders. Dr. Isaacs examines how modern diet can throw off hormonal balance and suggests a diet plan for optimum balance.
Leta
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
i got nothing new out of this book
Joe Wilcox jr.
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
My wife enjoyed the book very much. She read this book more for the information on hormones than for weight loss.
Lynne Wills
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
wow this book gave me a lot of info! I found it very helpful and suggest both men and women should read! hormones control our bodies in ways I never thought of. this is a great book!
Tiffany starling
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A lot of good information that has helped me make much needed changes in my lifestyle.
Noreen

• The Disasters
  • Platinum
  • Mindfulness
  • Highland Ransom
Scott Isaacs, M.D. is one of the nation's leading experts on weight loss. A board-certified endocrinologist, Dr. Isaacs is a prominent authority on the hormonal aspects of obesity, frequently speaks on weight-loss issues in the national media, and has written several books on the subject of weight. He has treated thousands of patients at his medical practice in Atlanta, Georgia.

Dr. Isa