Jump to ratings and reviews

Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism

First published in 2002, this guide pioneered the idea that hormones play a key role in weight loss and weight control. Writing in clear, simple terms, Dr. Isaacs profiles each hormone system, discussing what can go wrong and how imbalances can affect weight and even perpetuate obesity. The book explains how to reverse symptoms of hormonal imbalance through diet changes and other remedies, and then expands the discussion, teaching readers how to deal with everything from menstrual cycles to diabetes by recognizing and remedying hormonal problems. Updated with a more directive "how-to" approach on balancing hormones, this expanded edition features new research in the area of hungry hormones—including fat, gut, and brain hormones—as well as an easier-to-follow diet and lifestyle program.

466 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Scott Isaacs

19 books7 followers
Scott Isaacs, M.D. is one of the nation's leading experts on weight loss. A board-certified endocrinologist, Dr. Isaacs is a prominent authority on the hormonal aspects of obesity, frequently speaks on weight-loss issues in the national media, and has written several books on the subject of weight. He has treated thousands of patients at his medical practice in Atlanta, Georgia.

Dr. Isaacs is a member of the faculty of Emory University School of Medicine, and is the medical director for Atlanta Endocrine Associates and their award-winning weight loss program. He completed his undergraduate studies at Emory University, where he was a Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude graduate with a degree in psychology. He then pursued research from work in the Emory Honors Program, resulting in his first publication in 1991.

Choosing medicine as his career, he studied at Emory University School of Medicine, and completed a residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in endocrinology, lipids, diabetes and metabolism. During this time, he realized the key role that hormones play in weight disorders. After receiving a research grant from the National Institutes of Health to pursue deeper study in this area, Dr. Isaacs and won an award from the American College of Physicians for his research on diabetes and obesity.

Dr. Isaacs has extensively published his clinical and basic science research on diabetes, obesity, thyroid and bone metabolism. He has authored articles in such peer-reviewed medical journals as the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Diabetes Care, Thyroid, Journal of Cellular Physiology and the Journal of Critical Care. His articles have been referenced and cited in many subsequent publications, including a listing as a primary reference in the 2012 Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline: Management of Hyperglycemia in Hospitalized Patients.

The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists lists Dr. Isaacs's books as a resource for practicing endocrinologists. A frequent speaker to national and international groups, Dr. Isaacs is a Diplomat of the American College of Physicians and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology.

While his research is widely respected, his work with ordinary men and women struggling with obesity is Dr. Isaacs' passion. In 2000, he founded Atlanta Endocrine Associates, a unique medical practice devoted to treating individuals with hormone-related weight issues, diabetes and metabolism disorders. His award-winning weight-loss programs help people lose weight while improving their health and quality of life. People suffering from obesity are carefully tested to determine hormone imbalances that may be affecting their weight, and counseled to change their eating and lifestyles in order to lose weight.

Dr. Isaacs is actively involved with the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists at a national level, serving on several committees. He is President of the American Diabetes Association Atlanta Volunteer Leadership Board, Medical Advisor for Cushing's Help and Support Group, and President-elect of the Georgia chapter of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.

Because of dedication to treating overweight individuals through unique approaches, Dr. Isaacs has earned many honors in his field. He has been listed in Castle Connolly Top Doctors for several years in a row. Dr. Isaacs's weight loss program was named the 2009 "Best of Citysearch" winner. His peers voted Dr. Isaacs Best Physician in Lifestyles magazine in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Prominent health and fitness advocates also praise his work. Jillian Michaels referenced Dr. Isaacs's books numerous times in her New York Times bestseller Master Your Metabolism. Dr. Isaacs appears as a weight-loss expert on CNN, National Public Radio, and local NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox news affiliates. He has been featured in national magazines like Ladies Home Journal

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
27 reviews
January 15, 2020
I was unaware of how everything within the human body is related.... It actually makes sense once one thinks about it, for that I am grateful. Relationships truly are everything...
Profile Image for Andre.
346 reviews7 followers
August 6, 2013
I learned a few things from this book, and had a lot that I already knew reinforced.
1. Sleep is very, very important.
2. Stress management is critical.
3. Exercise. Everyday!
4. Belly fat is evil, even a little bit.
5. Insulin resistance is a major problem. And all of the above contribute to it in an insidious feedback loop.

The diet itself was no great surprise to me, just how central it is to a health hormone balance. Until recently I had the naive opinion it was all about calories, until I had trouble getting back in "race shape" trying to just focus on calorie restriction. Now I know better. Changes have already been made but the main problem for me (with 3 young kids) is sleep.

While the chapters on the different hormone systems and organs was educational, I felt the exhaustive lists of test and treatments less then helpful. Certainly my GP would order any tests without consulting me about what I would like tested. I guess in the US you can direct your physician a bit more.

Next up is "The Zone".
Profile Image for Dafna .
141 reviews10 followers
August 4, 2013
I read this on a whim, as I'm really interested in how the role that hormones play on the body, and especially when it comes to weight, and the effect it has on the female body at large.

I did know quite a bit about biology and hormones when I read this, so a lot of the information felt very basic and redundant. I find that the book moves at an almost agonizingly slow pace, and he repeats information over and over, which was incredibly annoying. However, perhaps to a person who hasn't been exposed to this information it could have been useful?

I don't know.

The information is there however, and that's really what matters in a book like this. It was easy to understand, and he really did break down the process and how things work. I would recommend it as a starting point for those who are interested in the subject.
Profile Image for Sher.
535 reviews3 followers
August 25, 2013
I read this book more for the information on hormones than for weight loss . Many different hormonal problems are covered in addition to a detailed explanation of the various hormones in our body-what they are and how they work. Plus a fascinating and detailed account of how food affects hormones and so how we feel. Metabolism is covered also. A chapter for women in their reproductive years and also a chapter for peri and post menopausal women. Did you know fat cells produce estrogen? The author also covers compelling reasons to have a normal body fat index. Low fat, high fiber, hormonal balancing recipes round out the book.
Profile Image for Sarah.
11 reviews44 followers
September 6, 2016
Very well written and eye opening! Of course the connection between hormones and weight control makes perfect sense and I can't help but wonder why it is not addressed more often.
Quite useful for those wanting to get healthy not just lose weight! This one will remain on my reference shelf for sure!
Profile Image for Morgan.
558 reviews18 followers
January 10, 2013
Very in-depth look at the effects of hormones on the body, as well as hormonal disorders. Dr. Isaacs examines how modern diet can throw off hormonal balance and suggests a diet plan for optimum balance.
Profile Image for Beth.
13 reviews1 follower
November 19, 2013
I was interested in this book for the information provided on thyroid issues but wound up reading the whole book. It provides information on hormonal balance that can be useful even to those people who are not trying to lose weight.
Profile Image for Lynne Wills.
2 reviews
May 29, 2013
wow this book gave me a lot of info! I found it very helpful and suggest both men and women should read! hormones control our bodies in ways I never thought of. this is a great book!
Profile Image for Joe Wilcox jr..
11 reviews
December 23, 2013
My wife enjoyed the book very much. She read this book more for the information on hormones than for weight loss.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.