Start by marking “Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer” as Want to Read:
Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia: Book-Loving Buccaneer

Victricia Malicia Calamity Barrett may have been born on her family's pirate ship, but this mild-mannered young lady is sick of the sea: she'd much rather be ashore with her nose permanently buried in a book. But when Scylla the Serpent—the scourge of the sea—appears, quick-thinking Vic saves the ship by thunking the serpent on the head with her trunk full of books. For he ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Flashlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Victricia Malicia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victricia Malicia

Matt
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book about pirates and an errant girl who hates the life. She does not want a peg leg, an eye patch or to sail the seas. She would rather read and life on her own island, away from the sway of a boat or squawking of a parrot. She convinces her family and ends up turning her life around to help everyone. Neo liked the rhymes and the pirate speak... lots of laughing here.
Carrie
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Told in complex rhyme with colorful art, this book is the one for any seafarer's heart. The ending really got me, as everyone gets a future that fits them best.
Lenna
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
N
Cute book about being yourself and respecting and loving people for who they are.
Bethany
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, fiction
It was a cute book. with rhymes and likable pictures. It was a bit dull but the ending was cute. I liked the who seafaring librarians thing.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Victricia Malicia is born into a pirate family. But she doesn't fit in. She's no good at swabbing the decks, tying knots or cooking/eating pirate food. She is a great reader, however, with a great imagination. Her family often gets frustrated by her but in the end, she does them a great service which improves all of their lives.

How can you not love a book about a pirate who loves to read? This was a hit with all 3 of my girls. We enjoyed the fun rhymes, the pirate vernacular, even the mean sound
Terry
It takes a couple readings to fully grasp the rhyming pattern, but it is OH SO WORTH IT. This is a story with humor in words and imagery, and you can't help but love the ending. Lots of pirate talk, plenty of humor, and fast-paced rhyme make this a delight for all ages.

To read our full review, go to the Reading Tub.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book as much as Wild About Books by Judy Sierra (these 2 books are similarly formatted), but I didn't. Victricia is a pirate who doesn't want to be a pirate. The text has a rollicking rhythm to it and the illustrations are big, bright and colorful, but it's just not my first choice when it comes to pirate picture books.
Elizabeth
I'm not a fan of pirates, so this was not a favorite. I did enjoy the pirate versions of book titles sprinkled throughout, such as "Don't Let the Pigeon Steer the Ship," "Prancy Nancy and the Posh Parrot," "Go Away Big Green Sea Monster," and my personal favorite, "Knuffle Parrot." I <3 Knuffle Parrot.
Ellen
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is an E-reader, a kid's books. It is a delightful read in rhyme. It is designed to be read out loud and enjoyed by everyone. I don't have young ones at home now, but it is a book I will probably buy and salt away for any one day grandkids.
Allison
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think my favorite part of the book is the shelves full of books with slightly altered titles such as "Knuffle Parrot" and "The Very Hungry Shiprat" oh and probably the only Seuss title I actually kinda want to read "Green Eggs and Scurvy."
Harla
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite picture book for the year. I loved this take on a land loving pirate girl. It has a great library ending. Great rhyming and vocabulary! Highly recommend this one...we need to buy it for our library.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story, but it's a tongue twister. I had to practice a few times before I could read it with the right rhythm and I'm still not sure I'm pronouncing her name right. It's a sweet pirate story.
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this one better than Libby did
Lisa
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The rhyme is above reproach and the character is engaging. I am in awe of the author's talents!
Kendra
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Long, but sweet. "Odd one out" kids in every family should appreciate it. And really, if you can't be a pirate, what better profession is there than a librarian?
Mollie B
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read it to myself, it will be a tongue-twister for sure! #tonguetwisters
Sam O'Heren
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
A cute idea, but probably not going to fly off of the shelves. The best part? Get out your specs and read the titles of all of the books. "Diary of a Wimpy Lad" and "Horton Hears Ahoy" indeed!
Kim
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
While it does promote reading, I found it tedious in making it's point. I read a LOT of kids books in my line of work, and I think that this one will appeal to a narrow section of the audience.
Jill
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I just love books that have rhyme and rhythm like this. We all really enjoyed reading this one.
Tom
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for rhyming tentacular with vernacular, among other fantastic rhymes and fun.
Karen Dransfield
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A family of many generations of pirates... and Victricia doesn't want to live on the boat or be a pirate... after some terribly accidents they finally head to a small island....
Robin
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute and clever rhyming story for pirate-loving bibliophiles.
Kris Christine