Start by marking “NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training” as Want to Read:
NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training

NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training

Developed by the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), this book is designed to help people prepare for the NASM Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) Certification exam or learn the basic principles of personal training using NASM's Optimum Performance Training (OPT) model. The OPT model presents NASM's protocols for building stabilization, strength, and power.

More than
Published April 30th 2007 by LWW (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training

Jen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been my life for the last several weeks. I have my degree in Exercise Science, and have recently decided to begin work at certain certifications. I love the science, and inner workings of the human body. It truly is miraculous, and so important that we take care of what we are given.
Justin Simpson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up as part of the fairly-basic NASM CPT program and I'll have to say, after taking the test, I think it was the most useful bit of information from the whole program. I did all the activities, watched the lectures, the client cueing, took the practice quizzes, tests and midterms. I used several of NASM's official study guides and wore myself out reading it all. Ultimately, I passed my exam, but it wasn't because of anything supplementary. To have a chance of passing the test - ...more
Kristyn
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this NASM textbook along with the NASM certified personal trainer program. I thought the book was set up extremely well, which made it easier to study. The chapters are separated by the science behind the fitness (biology and anatomy, especially the muscles), the fitness (assessments and workouts), and nutrition. While the book didn't make the information easier, it did make it easier to take notes and learn from. There is a ton of information in the book, and at times is difficult t ...more
Luke
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not the most enjoyable read of my life but this is a solid text book. Wish there was a little more on nutrition and diet. The appendices are helpful though some of the glossary definitions are convoluted. All in all it would make a good introductory book for someone interested in personal training or just planning on getting serious about exercise.
Mike2233
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, great info. I received my Academic Associate in Advanced Personal Training and Exercise Science. This is a book to always read and reference.
Andrea
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Teach yourself how to workout. Get to know your body and train it. Why are we so attracted to the latest quick fitness fix books.. Why not learn from the best. As far as fitness books go, this is still the most straight forward and user friendly. I know, hokey for a personal trainer to recommend the certification textbook. Even after all the texts read in school, or fad books clients bring me... This one is still the best.
Michael M
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the study material for my first personal training certification.

I actually liked the book, and found it to be ver informative and helpful in my profession.
If your are interested in sports it's a good starter that will teach you the science behind a human movement system.

The book presents a model they call OPT which has stabilization, strength, hypertrophy, maximal strength, and power.
Diane
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
What I like about NASM's program for personal trainers is that they teach you to work on not just strength but flexibility, balance, nutrition, and the mindset of the client.

It's an integrated and whole body approach that allows all parts of the body to get fit before adding lots of pounds to their resistance training.
L8start
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Great information, and truly essential for personal trainers. The book lost half a star because its table of contents and index weren't detailed enough, making it hard to find things. There were also several errors in the book. Again, the content was excellent for anyone serious about becoming a personal trainer.
Ryan
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good, but lacking some detail in parts. I would love to see more sample workouts with much more detail of how to structure them, rather than just giving us the acute variables, and leaving us to figure out how to organize it all by ourselves.
Dave
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exercise physiology, anatomy, program design, nutrition, even tips on starting out in the fitness industry. More than just a text, it's a great resource for anyone who is interested in fitness or plans on a career in personal training.
Wayne
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent sports medicne educational material and reference. I believe NASM is a step above ACSM and NSCA. The content and reserach is more up to date and detailed than ACSM.
Jhancarlos
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me knowledge and money ;-)
Nick
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need (and probably don't need) to become a personal trainer.
Ryan
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Very informative.
Melissa
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A fairly dense textbook, but it's all legit. I learned a lot.
Megan
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Trainer certification or bust!!

(Even though I'm a music teacher by career and am just doing this whole thing for fun, haha.)
Stephanie
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think i'll buy this book to keep
Noelle (Neilan) Houghton
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While this book wasn't exactly for pleasure, it certainly did help me to pass my exam. Now I can officially say that I am a Certified Personal Trainer!

Lindsay Sacks
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must have study guide for passing the NASM test.
Carol
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome resource based on real research!
Nick Rainey
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best text for helping someone be come a certified personal trainer. I'm not certified through NASM, but I read this text for the great information it provides.
Kaylynn
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May be the first textbook I have read cover to cover...though out of order. Great reference and learning.
Kaye
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Only reason I read it was to prepare for my certification testing. Not the most fun read!
Maria
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Longest book in pages I have read this year. So full of wonderful information about how our bodies work. We are miracles! So much going on inside.
Andy Ruse
Charalampos Spanias
Jan 08, 2015
Martin Kessler
Jul 13, 2016
  • How to Connect in Business in 90 Seconds or Less (Audiofy Digital Audiobook Chips)
  • Criminal Psychology: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • Freud: A Very Short Introduction
  • Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career (Revised, Updated, and Expanded)
  • Stretching
  • Zen Buddhism and Psychoanalysis
  • ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
  • Maximum Strength: Get Your Strongest Body in 16 Weeks with the Ultimate Weight-Training Program
  • The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams
  • Periodization: Theory and Methodology of Training
  • Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance
  • Mastering Jujitsu
  • The History of the United States
  • Changing the Game: The Parent's Guide to Raising Happy, High-Performing Athletes, and Giving Youth Sports Back to Our Kids
  • The Intimate Act of Choreography