Start by marking “Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art” as Want to Read:
Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art

Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art

How will evangelicals respond to contemporary cultural shifts? What they believe influences how they respond and this will have significant ramifications for the future of a free society and its business, economic, and public sectors. Sometimes the way forward is found by looking back.

Abraham Kuyper, a Dutch theologian and prime minister of Holland (1901-1905), elaborated
Published November 15th 2011 by Christian's Library Press (first published November 10th 2011)

Start your review of Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art
Scott
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was lots of fun. I read a little bit of Kuyper earlier this year, but I think that this book really captures some of the spirit missing in some previous things I read. What Kuyper says about science, art, and common grace essentially sums up what I've felt for a long time but never had the words to say. Since "Christ ennobles all of life", things like art and science are to be received as good gifts, not things that are competing against God.

Granted, Kuyper says some extremely awkward
Leonardo Bruno
O livro todo é bom, mas a segunda parte, que versa sobre a arte, me atraiu mais. Para Kuyper, aqueles que confessam a Palavra e não fazem com que essa luz resplandeça sobre o domínio da ciência [o mesmo se aplica à arte], que pertence ao campo da graça comum, são negligentes do cumprimento de seu dever. Nesse sentido, o livro é uma convocação para que tragamos todo pensamento cativo à obediência de Cristo, de cujo domínio nada escapa, nem um centímetro sequer. Além de tudo, é uma verdadeira aula ...more
Daniel Piva
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: applied-theology
Muito bom para se ter a abordagem bíblico-reformada de vários assuntos básicos pertinentes à cultura.
Em uma linguagem relativamente simples, o autor faz boas conexões entre as verdades da Escritura, Filosofia, Ética, Artes e a Cultura.
Recomendo
Scott Cox
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, art, theology
This small works starts with the basic premise that God is the sovereign Lord over every sphere of life, the world of science and art has been decimated by sin but rescued from complete destruction by Gods common grace, and that the message of Christ provides the antithesis to an unbelieving thesis that there are no absolutes nor is there purpose to our existence. Dr. Kuyper posits that science is a creation ordinance on the same level as marriage and family. Science is inherent in creation. As ...more
John
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Abraham Kuyper is well known for a few core ideassphere sovereignty, antithesis, and common grace. Wisdom & Wonder is a newly translated work on common grace and its relationship to science and art. Aspects of sphere sovereignty and antithesis are here as well as they are central to Kuypers thought. It is these concepts that are why his legacy is a lasting one.

The book begins with sciencewhich Kuyper notes, comes from humans reflecting the thoughts of God from the creation. But science is
Marcos
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bem interessante as idéias e como são defendidas pelo Kuyper. É o primeiro dele que leio. Pretendo ler mais..
O que me irritou muito na leitura foi a quantidade de erros de digitação. Fico feliz que essas obras cheguem para nós em português, mas para que simplesmente não fazem trabalho de revisão.
Becky Pliego
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente!
Ross
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Science is ultimately the quest to know God in all his works. Art is the expression of that part of us which percieves beauty in both the seen and unseen, and it calls us to live in service to beauty's proliferation and adoration of its source. This is the premise of Wisdom & Wonder, where the 19th century Dutch theologian aims to inspire his fellow Christians to embrace the calling to engage these two realms.

Kuyper supplements this inspiration with history of science and art's relationship
Jeremy
From Vincent E. Bacote's introduction: "Wisdom & Wonder is a fresh, new and complete translation of two sections that Kuyper intended for his larger three-volume work on common grace. These sections were mistakenly omitted from the first edition of Kuyper's larger work. From 1895 to 1901 Kuyper wrote a series of articles in De Heraut that was later compiled and the three volumes were published in 1902, 1903, and 1904. "Common Grace in Science and Art" [the subtitled of this volume], the ...more
Barnabas Piper
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the first Kuyper I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed most of it. I found it a bit uneven and his argument varied between well-reasoned and dense. He came to conclusions on occasion that I don't think were quite right, but most of what he had to say was profound and very helpful. Over all, his dealing in common grace was rich and helpful in my understanding and engagement of creation and art.
Felipe Barnabé
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teologia, kindle, 2017
Nesse livro Kuyper lanças os fundamentos de como o cristão deve pensar sobre ciência e arte. A premissa principal é que as duas disciplinas se encontram debaixo da graça comum e devem ser tratadas de forma independente da graça especial, mas não devem se tornar independentes da glória de Deus. Kuyper argumenta que a graça comum é o que permite que essas disciplinas sejam desvinculadas da igreja e do cristianismo, permitindo que os cientistas e artistas consigam alcançar a verdade e a beleza ...more
David Carlson
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wisdom & Wonder contains a new translation of chapters written originally under the title Common Grace in Science and Art.

Common Grace refers to Gods preservation and self-revelation within the created order, which is imperfectly but universally available. It is revelation by the creation as well as an invitation to study, understand and enjoy the creation. It is common because it is not limited to Christian believers.

Id like to give a brief account of Kuypers perspective on Science and Art
Allenylson Ferreira
Kuyper consegue trazer à luz questões que, ainda hoje, incomodam os cristãos. Como resultado, ao final da leitura, compreendemos que nem tudo o que está fora do templo é ruim em si mesmo; e que devemos, como cristãos, expressar a glória de Deus buscando a Verdade e expressando a Beleza e Glória que há de vir, em nossas criações como artistas; e pesquisas, como cientistas.
Kirk
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reads as if written last week, though it was written over 100 years ago. I don't agree with everything, what book do you agree with everything? But everything is challenging and inviting. Worth owning, worth reading over and over.
Some good thoughts, I like parts, but I wasn't blown away by it.
Jacob
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging and challenging.

Kuyper writes about the subject of common grace, specifically applied to the subjects of science and art. I appreciated the recognition that both of these topics are foundational to God's creation and that, even if Adam and Eve had never sinned in the Garden of Eden, we would still study science and produce art - albeit quite differently than we do now. Also, Kuyper argues convincingly that these subjects are both a blessing to the world by means of God's common grace
Sean Higgins
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
2019: This was my second read through the book, and it is as good as I remember. The church is most definitely not the boss of science and art, but the church should most definitely encourage Christians both to work in the spheres of science and art and also to appreciate where God's common grace has allowed unbelievers (even though often inconsistent with their stated worldview) to contribute to humanity.

2013: More deep and wide application of Christ's lordship over every thumb's width in the
Wyatt Houtz
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Abraham Kuyper's Common Grace is three volumes and 1700 pages. This book is not volume 1 but a selection of writings that was omitted from the three volumes and later published as a separate booklet.

I enjoyed reading this book, as it was very similar to Kuyper's Stone Lectures on Calvinism. It will be repetitive to all who have read those lectures. It's not highly theological but a helpful assessment of how Science, Art, Creativity, Music and other spheres relate to each other in the context of
Jeremiah
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Wisdom & Wonder is a section of Kuyper's larger work on Common Grace, translated as an independent unit discussing Common Grace in Science and Art (as evidenced by the subtitle). As a writer, I deeply enjoyed this book, though I found it difficult to read and understand at times (I had to re-read several portions, and found that reading aloud helped a lot). I also would get strange looks from people if I read a portion of it to them... Still, this book has many good thoughts on both Science ...more
Joshua Centanni
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good read. Dragged in the middle a bit.

Contains both exceedingly helpful insights (like noting that beauty comes from God alone, or that the fact that the Devil has "no creative capacity," [126] or the assertion that a good artist "translates what you yourself can barely stammer, and does so in rich and fulsome chords, and your soul feels liberated" [166]) and woefully wrong comments (like the scale of human beauty which puts Middle Eastern people on the top, Dutch people in the middle and
Jonathan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it

Kuyper's treatise on the role and effects of common grace regarding science and art is a worthwhile historical and theological read. The science portion of the book was to me more engaging and important than was the section on art. As an artist, I was surprised by my lack of interest in his thesis on art though I did not disagree with his ultimate conclusions. Nonetheless, there was indeed a beautiful artistry in the author's arguments on the proper role, roots and results of science. It is for
Godly
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Excellent and thought-provoking discussion on common grace that exists in this fallen world where even unbelievers pursue what God has granted them in the undeserving gifts of life. Challenging to Christians who have been taught otherwise. Though the language and examples used are a bit dated, as the book is about 100 yrs old, I recommend this book!
Leila Bowers
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kuyper is one of the few 'original' thinkers I have read who is also accessible. The introduction and footnotes make painfully clear that some of his ideas are dated - and even racist - but I didn't find that. His argument for re-claiming science and art (not that they were ever truly lost) is compelling and necessary as we seek to be image-bearers.
Brandon Wilkins
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating look at the thought of Dutch Reformed theologian Abraham Kuyper. This book specifically explores his views of common grace and special grace, as they relate to the fields of science and art.

Chapter themes cover: Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding, Education, Wonder, Beauty, Glory, Creativity, Worship.
Robert Terrell
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Would have given it 5 starts but the section on common grace in art was no where near as good as the section on common grace in science. Still really good and even the section on arty is worth the read. Just felt like many of Kuyper's statements on art has more to do with his personal taste than theological reasoning.
Deborah
Excellent with much to ponder about. Abraham Kuyper's writing reminds me of C. S. Lewis. Like Lewis, Kuyper manages to communicate well many of the deep thoughts I've had about God, beauty, and grace, but tremendously better than my best attempt.
Sylvia Jeronimo
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A magnificent treatise on the role of common grace in science and art. The connection between faith and thinking, between spiritual and scientific, between likeness and image was mind blowing, so grateful for pillars of faith like Abraham Kuyper.
Rick Hogaboam
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful appropriation of creational/common grace in the sciences and arts.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Coronavirus and Christ
  • Seeing Green: Don't Let Envy Color Your Joy
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • O Deus Pródigo. Recuperando a Essência da Fé Cristã
  • Table Grace: The Role of Hospitality in the Christian Life
  • Caim
  • O Custo Do Discipulado: A Doutrina Da Imitação De Cristo
  • He Is There and He Is Not Silent
  • Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
  • Letters to a Young Calvinist: An Invitation to the Reformed Tradition
  • How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind: Dealing with Your House's Dirty Little Secrets
  • Blood-Bought World
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • O profeta pródigo: Jonas e o mistério da misericórdia de Deus
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
Abraham Kuyper was a Dutch politician, journalist, statesman and theologian. He founded the Anti-Revolutionary Party and was prime minister of the Netherlands between 1901 and 1905.

News & Interviews

“Sun, moon, and stars beckon people to worship the Creator—until people lose sight of the living God and begin to worship the sun, moon, and stars themselves.” 6 likes
“Art cannot be excused from following God’s law, and art disgraces itself by seeking that freedom. Anything that cannot be put into an image or onto a canvas without demanding the sacrifice of modesty or injuring shame must simply be eschewed. Art is not autonomous. Art is one of the more refined human life expressions, and all these life expressions are organically related and stand continuously under God’s ordinance.” 5 likes