Start by marking “Powers of Arrest (Will Borders #2)” as Want to Read:
Powers of Arrest (Will Borders #2)

Powers of Arrest

(Will Borders: Cincinnati Casebook #2)

Cincinnati homicide Detective Will Borders now walks with a cane and lives alone with constant discomfort. He’s lucky to be alive. He’s lucky to have a job, as public information officer for the department. But when a star cop is brutally murdered, he’s assigned to find her killer. The crime bears a chilling similarity to killings on the peaceful college campus nearby, ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Powers of Arrest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers of Arrest

Start your review of Powers of Arrest (Will Borders #2)
Elli
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in this series set in Cincinnati involving several characters who have known each other for years. Characters are well developed although I think the pain nurse could be allowed to be presented as a little stronger than she was, because she certainly is a strong and caring woman. It involves a murderer who wants to be known for his great murders...a real sicko! And it is well executed. The David Mapstone murders were very good including their tie in to Phoenix historical ...more
Karen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining storyline but doesn't appear the author is keeping this series going. Moving on to his series with Arizona as a backdrop (The David Capstone Mysteries). What drew me to this author in the first place is that he uses Poisoned Pen Press , which is right down the street.
David L. Haven, Jr.
A Procedural With Heart, Suffering, Longing,

Jon Talton has outdone himself with this book. In Cincinnati 2, Det. Will Borders teams up with Cheryl Beth R.N. to foil a serial killer. The story has so many realistic elements that I wondered how much is written from biography. So I wrote the Author.

Mr. Talton has given voice to many of us spinal patients who lack his talent at description and verve. That feeling one has when told things will never be the same as they were, that one's services are
T
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Reading out of order again, oh well. Don't even know if I have the first book, wondered about some things but didn't disturb me much, I'm used to reading out of order.

At any rate, different series from the Talton Mapstone books. This one set in Cincinnati and focusing on a policeman, who in this particular story is the Public Information Officer (PIO), and recovering from medical issues that has left him in pain and with physical disabilities that may be temporary.

Someone(s) has killed a
Kathy
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have previously read one of Jon Talton's works, South Phoenix Blues, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Powers of Arrest is a different series set in Cincinnati not Phoenix. I never really thought of Cincinnati is an interesting place before this novel. Now I feel like it definitely deserves a visit!

I really enjoyed this mystery thriller. It grabbed my attention right from the start. Great characters, interesting relationships, plenty of action and a setting that was new to me. I was really cheering
Richard
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of police procedurals or mysteries.
Recommended to Richard by: I read a review.
I got tired of hearing Will complain about his disability, but not as tired as he would get of having it, probably.

This was a very complicated story, but the conclusion was pretty good. Incomplete, maybe. This book makes me want to look at the nine other stories Mr. Talton has produced. Using Cincinnati as the setting for this was a clever move, too, since it is not overexposed like some cities.

I like the way the author showed the relationship between Will and his partner and his girlfriend.
Terri
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Can't figure it out. I love this author's Phoenix series, but the Cincinnati series...uh, uh. The main character has had a tumor removed from his back and so was put on sick
leave from his job as a homicide cop...OK, he's in pain, but he whines about it....constantly. And the female lead..they just don't click. Both the main characters seem so wooden, the plot was interesting, but the characters just spoiled the read for me.
Andy
Jun 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Worse than the first. I read this second book to see where the two lead characters from the first book, "The Pain Nurse," would end up. The story started itself started out promising with a punch to the gut, then it unraveled from there.
dmsburns
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
9. Well written to keep interest. About a Cincinnati detective Will, who had a sojnaltor and walked with a limp. He solves the murder of nursing students and a female officer Falls in love with the nurse he had when he had surgery.

Audio book may 2013
Pamela Beason
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A very good read from an author new to me. I loved the setting and I really want to visit Cincinnati now. Preferably when a serial killer is not on the loose. I will definitely look for more books by Jon Talton.
Sherry
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really good mystery.
John Machata
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Solid. Characters of interest and true to life. Plot plausible. Cincinnati architecture, neighborhood, mores figure prominently. Well edited. I will read more by Mr. Talton.
Alicia Hall
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great book. Overall well written and I loved the main detective. I'm hoping there are more books with him as the main guy.
Sheila
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story set in Cleveland.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kept me interested, but the final conflict lacked the tension that makes a satisfactory ending.

Tom
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one off the new books shelf. Writing OK, too much gore for my taste.
Linda
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
If you enjoy reading mysteries set in Cincinnati, you'll enjoy this. While the writing isn't awesome, the description of Cincinnati scenes is great and the characters are enjoyable.
Denis
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
First book I've read in the series. It was very good
Matthew Cousens
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x_will-borders
Detective Will Borders' second mystery. A good read with enough twists to keep even the experienced mystery solver guessing until the end.
Andy Plonka
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: src
I've only read one other book by this author, but I will make time to rectify that error. He creates interesting engaging characters and has quite the command of the English language.
Jun 17, 2014
Jul 17, 2015
Dan McGuire
Dec 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird (Highway 59 #1)
  • The Third Victim (Robin Lockwood #1)
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
  • The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone #1)
  • Walking Shadows (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #25)
  • Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case #2)
  • A Heart Made New (The Bliss Creek Amish #2)
  • Under the Northern Lights
  • High Heat (Jack Reacher, #17.5)
  • The Passion of Marie Romanov
  • Second Son (Jack Reacher, #15.5)
  • Where Did I Come From?
  • Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)
  • California Historical Mail Order Bride Romance Complete Series (Box Set Complete Series Book 1)
Jon Talton is the author of the David Mapstone novels, which follow the adventures of a historian-turned-deputy, working the mean streets of the urban West.

Jon's first novel, "Concrete Desert," was hailed by Kirkus as "an impressive debut." The Washington Post said it "is more intelligent and rewarding than most contemporary mysteries." The series has continued with "Camelback Falls," "Dry Heat,"

Will Borders: Cincinnati Casebook (2 books)
  • The Pain Nurse (Will Borders #1)