Start by marking “The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman” as Want to Read:
The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman

The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Summing up 25 years of Nikolas Schreck's research into the Charles Manson phenomenon, this Book of Revelations illuminates unknown dimensions of Manson as philosopher, musician, Gnostic mystic, Mafia fall guy, revolutionary, and friend, lover and drug dealer to 1960s Hollywood's best-known rock stars and movie idols.

The first comprehensive study of Manson's life, times, cr
Paperback, Apocalypse Edition, 991 pages
Published 2011 by World Operations (first published March 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Manson File, please sign up.
John Arnold if you send him a note via facebook on his page he is supposed to inform u when his new edition is coming out---wait for that it's gonna be soon;…moreif you send him a note via facebook on his page he is supposed to inform u when his new edition is coming out---wait for that it's gonna be soon; updated info. Then a person named brian davis has radio podcasts (I think it's some conspiracy website) and he said he would inform people when the new book comes out. This is on utube. Listen to Nicholas Schrek interviewed by Brian Davis--3 hrs, extremely interesting, on utube, it seems to cover a lot of what is in the book.(less)
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
533 books — 541 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
5,173 books — 12,716 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew W
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although originally released in 1988, Nikolas Schreck essentially re-wrote what was the original book entitled "The Manson File." At nearly 5 times as long as the first printing of the 1988 book, the original texts are nothing but mere footnotes/appendix for the new material in this ambitious and obsessively constructed Manson masterpiece. Although I have written jokes at Schreck's expense in the past, I must admit that "The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman" is easily the most i ...more
L.V. Sage
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manson-books
I just finished this heavy, 900+ pager & I wish there was another 900 pages to go. Yes, it was that good. Schreck's writing is pretty flawless. He is not afraid to throw humor as well as sarcasm into this very serious study of the eternally-flawed "Manson Murders". He waxes eloquent on Manson's philosophy and ecology-based ideals while careful not to slip into a worshipful tone. This tome is enlightening and daring. Read it with an open mind and you will find your head spinning with new fact ...more
Paul Bryant
Jan 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
WHAT YOU GET PART ONE

Philosophy ("pagan" says the editor); Testimony (as given by Charlie in court); Music; Art; Selected Writings (stories & assorted rants) and Poetry (like the lyrics but more so); all of which is by Charlie himself.
Alas, perhaps it is no surprise to find out that Manson's "authentic voice" is greatly predictable. There are a few themes only, and he lays them on with a trowel.

WHAT CHARLIE SAYS

The Establishment (or "straight society" as it used to be called) comes in for s
Cwn_annwn_13
Probably the only out and out pro-Manson book that has ever been published. Contributers range from Manson sympathizers to out and out "family" members in essays and art. The good bulk of this book however is straight from Charles Manson himself. Interviews, quotes, transcripts of court and parole hearings, poetry and fiction written by Charles Manson, even artwork by him. The Manson File is probably the best book you can get to learn anything about Manson and his philosophy.
Mirrorlove
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was great! Very informative. If you want to know the truth read this and listen to what he says in interviews. Even if he acts in a way that would make you think hes crazy. we can all act this way and are all capable of what he is. Now we need to understand that what we're told on the news is b.s
We have to look into all of this ourselves.

And heres a good book to start with :)
Robert
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally an objective book which gives a voice to those who have been demonised by the media for decades. The more I research this case the clearer it becomes that Manson was the patsy used to try to end the counter culture of the 60's. Anyone with a true interest in this case will be gripped. !0 out of 10.
N
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stunning book and by the far best unbiased book out their on the man and the case. Forget Vincent Bugliosi's pulp-fiction 'Helter Skelter' and in all honesty, the only two books worth reading on this issue are this 2011 edition of Schrecks Manson File is is fully updated and explanded to over 900 pages and Marlin Marynick's Charles Manson Now.

I cannot recommended this book HIGHLY enough.
Sadie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
by far the best book ever written about charles manson. it unveils the truth about what really happened and turns down all the myths that have been going around this case. nikolas schreck goes back and rewrites history. amazing book!
Andrew
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this was more of a scrap book than actual attempt at scholarly research. Better books on Manson (in my humble opinion) would include The Family, Shadow Over Santa Susana, and even the Bugliosi book. All of these books offer a more even handed account of the thinking behind Manson's philosophy of environmentalism and strange racial dialectical ism, as well as the actual events surrounding Spahn Ranch and the Tate-LaBianca murders. A dear friend of mine let me borrow all three of those ...more
Stuart Henderson
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This Book is essential to ALL people wanting to know the truth about Charles Manson,read with an open mind.

Schreck has done an amazing amount of research and written a masterpiece.

BUY IT,READ IT!.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
I don't really have anything original to say about this. I'm only likely to add my voice to an already pretty substantial chorus of babble. This might be the most fair-minded compilation of Manson-related materials that I know of. I'd certainly recommend it over Bugliosi's "Helter Skelter" (wch I can't remember if I 've read but I've seen him on TV & that was disgusting enuf) or even over Ed Sanders' "The Family".

The people who compiled this know the subject. There's 'ephemera' here that on
Smith White
The best of the books I have read about Manson.

Most other authors seemed primarily concerned with making money (Bugliosi, Sanders, etc) or fell into the trap of using sensationalism even though their original works were, before editing, probably fairly good (Marynick, Emmons.)

Schreck seems to have remained completely academic in this work, and perhaps because he chose not to use a large scale publisher, managed to protect it from unnecessary fiction designed to make the work "exciting" (inaccura
Jason Pastor
I read the original back in 1990, and it did give some insight into the mind of Manson. That being said, the pro-Manson commenters need to get a grip. I said some of the same things when I was in high school and trying to project a scary image, but then I grew up
Buffalo Roy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Esta obra resume más de veinticinco años de investigación a cargo de Nikolas Schreck sobre el fenómeno de Charles Manson en 991 páginas repletas de información valiosísima y perfectamente documentada.

Este Libro de las Revelaciones de San Nikolas ilumina dimensiones desconocidas de Manson como filósofo, músico, místico gnóstico, cabeza de turco de la Mafia, revolucionario, amigo, amante y camello de las estrellas del rock y del cine más famosas del Hollywood durante la década de los 60.

Nos quedam
Zack
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Click here for my conversation with Michael Channels, currently in contact with Manson: http://www.mightymercury.com/home/277...

I found this last week checking behind my bookcase for something, and realized I'd never finished reading it. It's the most authentic overview of Manson's whole trip, equal parts foolish/evil/whatever and sensible--for instance he seems to have always had a deeply-rooted concern for the environment and ecology (sensible), but he also believes Hitler was Christ and Nazis
Tom
Essential reading for those who want to have as much information about the case as possible at hand. Not one detail is glossed over or left out- sometimes a retelling of a short event is summed up with 20 or 30 pages of details.

Also has some nice illustrations and a collection of material from Manson himself, including a transcript of the entire 1988 interview for the authors film on the subject.
Warner
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unlike most of the books about Manson it doesn't just focus on the man himself (or the case) but goes into hundreds of pages of detail about his various hollywood/ mafia connections.

One of only three good books on the subject- one of the others is ironically the other Manson File by Nikolas Schreck as well!
Pat Schakelvoort
Shelves: true-crime
Finally a more fair and balanced account about Charles Manson and his alleged deeds, brainwashing et cetera.

This book doesn't rely on the phantasy of the author. It sticks to the fact and doesn't revert to the weird theories other authors have done.
Marlonn
Recommended to Marlonn by: Botany101
It was recommended to me by a friend and I simply loved this book!
Linda
One of the best books I ever read. I loved the details about Manson in the psychedelic and post-hippie eras, sixties fans would love this book.
Forrest Jackson
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This obsessively researched volume is well worth the somewhat high retail price. An eyeopening page-turner. Though the author admits there is no final word to be had on the Manson phenomenon, he does a DAMN fine job explaining the mysteries and obscured truths of the case. Perhaps my highest praise is that, after reading Schreck's book, I'm thinking of selling off many of my other Manson-related books. Which, in effect, gives him the final word.
Tim
A truly good read- nice illustrations, and huge in size (so takes several days at least to read even for a seasoned reader.

The subject itself may seem narrow but it actually covers a variety of topics from the 60s themselves, to the mafia, to Mansonn's life, beliefs, and even primary source info from his own work.
Tom
A very good book overall, and because it actually saw a significant printing it's not as hard to find as the author's other works.

However this version has largely been replaced by the 2011, expanded Manson File, as the newer edition contains a lot of material which in the 1980s was not available.
Polly
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well worth purchasing- over 900 pages long so a but daunting (and the language used is sometimes dense) but it was a great book nonetheless.

A revision, essentially, of the 1988 Manson File by the same author- treats Charles Manson less like a loony fascist than an academic subject- which was a breath of fresh air!
Wylie Smith
One of (if not the) best work by Schreck, and the same goes for the Manson genre- also holds up well as true crime/ cult novel.

Definitely the longest book in any of these genres, one of the most professional- it's density and length may actually be daunting to the average reader, anyone without good english mastery may find the dictionary their reading companion.
Susan Higgs
The best work to date on this (rather broad) subject, broad because it goes into minutiae that other works on Manson prefer to avoid- most works cover his spirituality, or his politics, or the murders themselves, but this book covers all three.
Fred Smith
A very good book, reading it for the third time.

Basically destroys the helter skelter theory put forth by Bugliosi- also helps clear up some other misconceptions revolving around Manson, overall a good read!
Ted M
A very good book overall, the writing style is slightly dry but that is sometimes a good thing because it makes it more academic.

Don't expect many grotesque fantastic stories, it's a bit like a college lecture.
Larry W
Definitely the premier book written about the Manson case- all others fall far short of this 900+ page marvel.

Not only does it expose the nitty gritty truth about the case and the aftermath, but also Manson the man and myth,
Smith Steves
A little something for everyone- conspiracies, the mafia, drugs, insanity, witchcraft...

It must have taken a long, long time to do all this research considering not only the dense content (at times too dense for some readers) and the absolutely gargantuan size of the book itself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Inside the Minds of Serial Killers: Why They Kill
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Shadow Over Santa Susana: Black Magic, Mind Control and the "Manson Family" Mythos
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives
  • Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder
  • Signature Killers
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Manson in His Own Words
  • Manson: The Unholy Trail of Charles and the Family: The Unholy Trail of Charlie and the Family
  • The Gates of Janus: Serial Killing and Its Analysis
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Serial Killers and Sadistic Murderers Up Close and Personal
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Killer Clown: The John Wayne Gacy Murders
  • The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer
  • Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell
  • I: The Creation of a Serial Killer
American writer, musician, film-maker, and spiritual teacher whose work focuses on magic, mysticism, mythology and the macabre. Schreck is married to Zeena Schreck (Formerly LaVey) the daughter of the founder of the Church of Satan, Anton Lavey

Together with his wife he founded the Sethian Liberation Movement and wrote books about sex magic, portrayal of Satan in cinema and Charles Manson.

He is als

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99