Start by marking “Fairy Tales for Freya” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales for Freya

Fairy Tales for Freya

Four short fairy tales: Woman of the Well, The Piper, Crystalline and Slipstream. Deep within a tangled forest where shadows pooled between the ancient trees and black-winged ravens perched high on twisted lichen covered limbs, a young man lay dying...
ebook, 1st Edition, 19 pages
Published November 26th 2011 by Georgina Anne Taylor, via Smashwords (first published November 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales for Freya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales for Freya

Midu Hadi
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of shorts
Lynxie
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fairytale enthusiasts
Four deliciously poetic tales here by Georgina.

If you enjoy a good fairytale, you'll probably devour this way too short book. Each short story is beautifully written, sensually enticing and was pure bliss to read.

The sad part about this being a collection of short tales, is that the characters that Georgina so masterfully paints do not have time enough to worm their way into your heart and hold you hostage. I think Georgina's other, longer tale (The Taint: Sorrow's Child) will be a truly gut-w
Bettie☯
The Woman of the Well: Deep within a tangled forest where shadows pooled between the ancient trees and black-winged ravens perched high on twisted lichen-covered limbs, a young man lay dying.

The Piper: In a tiny fishing village perched on the edge of the grey rolling waves, where the air was heavy with salt, blood and brine, there lived a young woman who could not abide the scent of the sea.

Crystalline: In distant land and distant time, a noble-blooded Lady became enamoured of a young and handso
Michael
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The writing in these stories was gorgeous. There was something about it that filled each of my senses, and I felt like I was luxuriating in the words. And what a palette of words. I was amazed at the diversity of the author's vocabulary and was thinking to myself, I wonder if she is even repeating any adjectives, it seems like each word is a new one. So, okay, I got distracted thinking about it for a moment, but it was impressive.

Each story is kind of like a Grimm's fairy tale, although "grim" i
Jeffrey Kosh
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Three unusual dark fairy tales and one vignette.
I enjoyed reading these short stories of twisted fantasy with an elegant erotic touch. Georgina Anne Taylor has a flowery and antique language that really got to my soul. A tenebrous poetry pervades each single tale, yet the one which stuck with me well after closing my Kindle is ‘The Woman of the Well’. This not properly a short story, but rather a vignette, something writers did as an exercise in their practice; a single scene is carried on tryin
Tony Rattigan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. She has a real talent for painting pictures with words, evoking images with language. I was captivated with 'The Piper' and 'The Woman of the Well'.

However, like others have said, there needs to be some resolution in stories. I liked the ending of 'The Piper' but 'The Woman of the Well' left me unsatisfied, wanting to know what happened, instead of it just breaking off like that. And, unless I misread it, in 'Crystalline' there was no explanation for WHY things turned out th
Lucy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic contained Briefly (Maybe too briefly!)

The book contains four short stories and all of them are expertly worded and a delight to the senses. The stories vary in tone but they all contain themes of magic and loss and while the stories are excellent I wish they had been a bit longer and more developed. That is not to say that I don't think the story is complete but instead that I loved it so much that I wish I could read more!
The UHQ Nasanta

This book is a collection of four short stories by the author in the style of fairy tales. As such, the language is more elaborate, flowery and sounds more antiquated. I appreciated that because the language helped to set the mood and style of the fairy tales that we know and love. As short stories, there were very little action and dialogue. There was no justification or explanation of what went on before or what was going on now. While this might ordinarily bother me in a regular nove
Dave Higgins
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Each tale in this collection shows a bargain with supernatural forces, each unique in circumstance and description, each united in the result being not what the bargainer might have chosen.

Woman of the Well. A mortally wounded young man wishes with all his heart not to die alone. But will company only bring a quicker death?

The Piper. In a village by the sea a young woman who hates the sea is married to a fisherman. Are her dreams of forests only dreams or something darker?

Crystalline A lady beli
Emme
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
People are fond of saying "it's not the destination but the journey." I like wandering around aimlessly, as much as the next person, but I do like to feel like I'm getting somewhere in the end. Taylor lifts the "flatness" that is indicative of fairy tales with very poetic and sexily descriptive language in these four tales. But most of these stories don't seem to go anywhere. The four stories here are "The Woman of the Well," "The Piper," "Crystalline," and "Slipstream." The Piper's last line wa ...more
Robert Day
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A profound melancholy envelops me as I reach the end of this slim volume of deeply beautiful prose.

These unhappy creations, summoned into being by the brush of pen against paper endure such short mute lives that I am made sad against my best intentions.

The weave of phrase and word is admittedly beyond beauty and I aspire to emulate such consumate skill; yet still I am left longing for sunshine and companionship, perhaps in much the same way that the characters in these stories seem to be.

The tou
Yianna Yiannacou
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A combination of her beautifully written fairy tales. Wonderful : )
Madeline
May 09, 2012
Freya
Jun 26, 2012
Bert
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2015
Andrea Gurtler
rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2014
Chat with the author 1 4 Feb 17, 2013 06:04PM
I'm an Australian artist and writer, with a Bachelor of Visual Arts, majoring in photography from the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University.

I was represented by Lyn Tranter of Australian Literary Management from 2007 to 2011. Sorrow's Child, is my first novel.

“He clung to his pain as an anchor to the physical world, to the husk that housed his soul, too precious to be cast aside, yet the pulse and colour leeched from his wounded body as surely as his blood, and hope foundered in the face of that inevitable end.” 0 likes
“A chill crept into his limbs and he began to question his struggle against the sure demise of his damaged flesh—so much easier to surrender, to cease the pain, to accept his fate. Instead he raised himself from the damp ground and leaning back against the willow’s gnarled trunk, he gasped for breath, his lungs heavy with fluid. And as he sat, his chin resting against his chest, his eyes upon that ancient pool, his mind began a swift unravelling, the memories cascading like a turbulent river bound for union with the endless sea.” 0 likes