Start by marking “Worth Every Penny: How to Charge What You're Worth When Everyone Else is Discounting” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
There’s a radically different way to run a small business, one in which the owners focus on offering specialized products and over-the-top customer service—not on matching the prices of their competition. Worth Every Penny encourages business owners to use a different business model, one that is designed to maximize their advantages over the big-box stores and other discou ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Worth Every Penny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worth Every Penny

Janette Fuller
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The first thing I learned from this book is that being a "boutique" business is not about what you sell. Instead, "being boutique" is about how you operate...its' a model of doing business, a filter for your business decisions, and a mind-set that makes your customers say you were worth every penny.

The authors of this book believe you can beat your competition by catering to the niches, not to the masses. Businesses that compete on price can't invade your territory. When you're a boutique busine
Lynn
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography, business
Sarah Petty has been well known in the photography industry for several years now for her educational offerings that cater to the business side of the photography. In recent years, she's widened the circle and has tried to make her educational offerings more accessible to small business owners in non-photography industries.

In a time when it seems like every photographer is selling an action set, or some silly new e-book, the refreshing thing about Sarah is that she actually knows her stuff. Phot
Shannon
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I used this book as the basis for a business book group and it was a great choice for a lively discussion on creating a boutique business. The author's Sarah Petty and Erin Verbeck describe a different way to run a small business, with a focus on excellent customer service and charging what your specialized services are worth. They are adamantly against discounting, Groupon style coupon sales and lowering your prices to compete with your competition. Excellent examples from the authors and other ...more
Jane
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As I prepare to open a boutique business, this helped me clarify some ideas about marketing and the customers that I am looking for. I would love to see a book like this with a few more ideas for someone who isn't selling a product, but a service. Still, very helpful, overall.
Liz Butler
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This book contains some good information about differentiating yourself and becoming a boutique business. However, after reading it I felt like I always do when it comes to Sarah Petty... like she always holds back.
Kristy
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Helpful information for small "boutique" businesses.
Maya
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is geared towards business owners who want to have a unique, boutique business. It's focused on how to become that boutique business and how you can run a successful boutique without discounting all the time.

Petty says being boutique is "about how you operate-it's a model of doing business, a filter for your business decisions, and a mind-set that makes your customers say you were worth every penny." She points out that businesses that compete on price can't invade your territory when
Antoinette Perez
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The good: The authors have a strong point of view, and they emphasize it just to the point of sounding like a broken record, but no more. Small businesses are boutique businesses, and we don't compete well on price. We play better than anyone on the field of value and customer service (which blossoms in customer loyalty when we cultivate), with high-touch engagement, expertise, and an experience that emphasizes relationship above all. Our best marketing is a sample of what we do, not words descr ...more
Claire
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely worth a read for anyone with or who wants to start a small business.

The subtitle of my copy actually read, "Build a business that thrills your customers and still charge what you're worth."

"Boutique is a business model, not a gift shop" is their main tenet. By providing quality, service, and expertise, you don't have to compete on price.

The book includes stories of actual boutique businesses of all sorts: a pilates instructor, plumber, and baker who sells cookies to name a few. It al
Sakura Matura
When businesses compete in today's marketplace, mammoth companies like Walmart and Amazon set low prices for their respective sectors and force everyone else to drop their prices, too, often at their economic peril. However, one class of business - boutique firms - chooses not to get into that boxing ring. These organizations set their own business terms by selling customized products and services at premium prices. Boutique business experts Sarah Petty and Erin Verbeck explain (and sometimes re ...more
Toni Conn
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book speaks to the heart and soul of the small business. It doesn't give you the advice to go big. It gives you the advice to do when you're small. You want to give your customers the detailed attention only you can give them. This advice is not scaleable.

I highly recommend it to those small businesses who want to give high-value attention to your customers and clients. This book will help you get there!
Madisson
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Being a boutique business isn't about what you sell. Instead, "being boutique" is any small business in which the owners focus on creating specialized offerings and an over-the-top customer service that makes their customers say they were worth every penny.

The four core areas of this book are:
1. Branding
2. Products, Services, and Customer Experience
3. Price
4. Marketing and Sales

Good tips and helpful insights.
Abbie
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read a handful of business and marketing books and FINALLY this one is written for the SMALL ("boutique") business owner. It was so refreshing to hear some sound advice and beliefs about marketing that I could actually attempt, as opposed to reading about options that were so far out of my league that I might as well read with my eyes closed. Thank you for an energetic and motivating small business marketing book!
Stephanie Sutherlin
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of validation for me. It confirmed a lot of things I was already doing, and assured me that I was on the right path. For someone who is new to the boutique business model, it is a great read and full of information that can help mold your successful business.
Michelle
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for new business owners, especially those who typically hate business books. It's a quick and easy read full of good points and applicable for most professional service providers who are looking to fill a niche.
Marci Lambert
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Sarah Petty produces solid info for small biz owners and this is a solid book if you're looking to go boutique with your business. There are several good case studies and info is well presented. I found it to be a little too basic for someone who already has a boutique biz, though.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply written, easy read. Really liked the part that talked about why you should discount or price match and why sites like groupon are really bad for your business.
Michael Koppelman
May 04, 2012 marked it as to-read
I met the authors . Seems like a concept worth exploring.
Brian
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very insightful and well-written advice for small business owners trying to separate themselves from the pack.
Alicia
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I picked it up for one of my classes and am glad that I did. It was easy to read and is extremely helpful.
Caroline
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loads of info relevant to me and my growing boutique business! Thank you Sarah and team!
Kristin
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This book was more basic-level information than what I was looking for but it doesn't have a few interesting ideas and points.
Missy Monacella
Our business book clubs favorite book by far. Highly recommended! I have reread this a few times, it never gets old.
Adam Decker
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent read for those starting or having just started a business, and even an owner struggling with the business they've had awhile.
Tasha Prescott
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Get Rich Click!: The Ultimate Guide to Making Money on the Internet
  • What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • The Book of a Hundred Hands
  • Whole Body Barefoot Transitioning Well to Minimal Footwear
  • The Roll Model: A Step-by-Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility, and Live Better in Your Body
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Get Rich Lucky Bitch Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First Class Life
  • A Field Guide to Fabric Design: Design, Print & Sell Your Own Fabric; Traditional & Digital Techniques; For Quilting, Home Dec & Apparel
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Game Frame: Using Games as a Strategy for Success
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business