Start by marking “Motherhood Matters: Joyful Reminders of the Divinity, Reality, and Rewards of Motherhood” as Want to Read:

Motherhood is a divine calling but it may not always feel that way. Now you can show the women in your life how much they matter to you, with this delightful little volume full of wit and wisdom about the divinity, reality, and rewards of motherhood. Fresher than flowers and sweeter than chocolate, it's a perfect gift for the women who give so much.
Published March 13th 2012 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about Motherhood Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood Matters

Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a lovely little read! Being a mother can be tough and challenging, right? It takes all our creative resources and most of our energy. This book acknowledges that and provides the encouragement and reminders of how worthwhile motherhood is.

I especially enjoyed the reminders that each of us mother differently. And that is okay. We can be ourselves and laugh at our mistakes. Love is the most important ingredient in the recipe of being a great mother. Sometimes I think I forget that. It's so ea
Ruth Hill
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, 2013-reads
I find it so interesting that as of late, LDS books have struck a chord with me. Nothing against Mormons, but I am not of the Mormon faith and will never be. I have read Christian books for years, and many have been about women, wives, and mothers. They often leave me with a sense of guilt and/or the feeling that I am not doing enough. Connie Sokol is not like that at all. She is a writer who will validate you as a mom and remind you of why you accepted this divinely-appointed calling. I even ha ...more
Taffy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
First line:

"Motherhood is near to divinity."

Don't you LOVE the cover? I'm a little prejudiced to purple.

I enjoyed this book! It's not just about being a mother but also about mothering. Just like from the beginning where Connie says this is a book when you've had it with mothering or when you want to be reminded of the beauty of motherhood or when you need a good laugh. This book is a book of joy, not about to-dos or what I should have done.

Fantastic book with short chapters full of humor, stor
Kathy
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012

Tour hosts needed -

This was a great little "pick-me" up. A reminder that being a mom is an important role and that what we do really matters and can make a difference in the lives of our children. I was touched by some of the stories that were shared and inspired by others.

This would make a great Mother's Day gift. It's a book you can easily read in one sitting or you can just read a short 2-4 page chapter when you need a little motivation an
LeMira
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was quick a quick read but uplifting with so many nuggets! It was the perfect book to read as I’m snuggling my toddler who is sick. I was reminded that motherhood is the most important job title I’ll have, while the hardest, and yet I’m not alone. Connie’s down to Earth tone reminds me that we are all human and yet valued and remembered.
Sara Allen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great little book, I highly recommend it.
Christina
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
DNF, I know that's a surprise but after reading the mother's mite it just seemed to cover the same things.
Andrea
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a mother is a very challenging job with many ups and downs, but it is a divine calling. Although at times we feel that we fall short, motherhood does matter!

Sometimes we don't think about our value and the difference we are making with our children, but thoughts like this buoyed me up:

"We are likely the first and most powerful spiritual examples for our children. Every righteous prayer, every patient fast, every page of scripture puts spiritual coins in our own and our family's bank accou
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour
I saw that Kathy @ I Am A Reader Not A Writer was hosting a blog tour for Motherhood Matters and I jumped at the chance to be on it. I never knew what my calling was until I became pregnant with my son, Preston. Now I know..I was put on this earth to be a mother. I love being a mother more than anything in the world. It is a hard but rewarding job and my greatest accomplishment. I love this next quote from Motherhood Matters.

"Motherhood is a divine calling, not an afterthought."

I love the fact
Christina M Condy
This book was a lovely reminder of what being a mother is all about. The blessings and the joys that we experience by being a mother. I loved how the Author used some poetry in the book. As a woman whose only lifelong goal was to be a mother, I can attest to some of the stories in this book. I relate to so many of the various stories and I know that each of my children is different and required different mothering skills.

As the mother of 5, I sometimes forget about the joys of motherhood. Espec
Mandi Slack
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just in time for Mother's Day, Connie Sokol's new book Motherhood Matters is just the sort of book I needed to read. Her words were a reminder of the divine calling of motherhood.Yet this book is also filled with poignant reminders that perfection is not a requirement.

"Part of divine parenting includes stressful day-to-day mothering. No matter how patient and loving a mother is, there will be those times in her life when she has had it."

The author brings to light the rewards, challenges, realiti
Melissa T
****Please note that I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway program****

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a mother at the current time. I may or may not be one in the future. Regardless, the social structure of motherhood as a role still interests me, which is why I chose to read this book.

I did not realize at the time that I entered the contest that this was a book heavily based in religious thought. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that I'm
Angieleigh
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I received a review copy in exchange for my participation in the blog tour. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

When I saw this book on the list of books to read and review for a blog tour I was excited. Wow, a woman who gave birth to her seventh child at the age of forty-five and who wanted to share her wisdom about raising children.

Instead what I read seemed more like a college essay full of quotes from people and scripture that I'd never heard of before {they're from the Book of Mormon as I
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have realized one thing while reading Connie Sokol's books. She is R.E.A.L. Connie is a real woman, a real wife, and a real mother. Her writing is inspirational and her message is clear. Being a mother and a wife is a vocation. It is not an easy vocation, and it is one that is chosen in each of our hearts.

Reading Connie's books make you feel good inside. She leaves you feeling that a fresh breeze is blowing. The book is a fast read as each of the chapters are short and each story contains a l
Maria Hoagland
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Motherhood Matters by Connie E. Sokol is the perfect petite pick-me-up for any busy mom. Each brief chapter in this cute little book uplifts and encourages through personal stories, scriptures, and comments from general authorities. It is a great reminder of why so many women have had the courage to choose the occupation of being a mother. Especially when the job duties become mundane, repetitive, and possibly even frustrating, this book can help the reader refocus on the eternal blessings of mo ...more
Rachelle
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I was thrilled to get this darling little book full of insights and uplifting information for mothers. This would be a perfect Mother's day gift for that special mom in your life.
I love Connie's writing style, so easy to follow and get excited about life! I definitely trust her judgement when it comes to motherhood--seven children aside--Connie won me over with her most recent book Faithful, Fit, and Fabulous.

Motherhood is the hardest thing I've ever attempted--I can't say done, because we all k
Katie W
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I often beat myself up because I'm not the "perfect" mother. I love the little tidbits, quotes, and thoughts found in this book to help me realize that there's no such thing as what I'm trying to be! The key points that I took away from reading this are that I just need to love my kids, find joy in the journey, do my best, and make time for me, so that I can give that extra effort to my family when it's really needed. This is such a refreshing and uplifting book and told in a way that makes me f ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Connie Sokol has done it again. She has written an inspirational book that has lifted my spirits. In the title it states, "Joyful Reminders". The book is full of experiences with motherhood and our role as mothers that help look at the joy, instead of feeling the guilt.

I love that Connie is able to encompass the role of motherhood and help me see that I'm really doing ok. The feelings of anguish, frustration, confusion, and joy are all part of the process and normal to parents everywhere.

One cha
Dena (Batch of Books)
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What a sweet little book. It was just what I needed to read. It is full of uplifting and encouraging insights about motherhood and the divine role of women in raising the next generation. It is aimed at an LDS audience, and much of it is faith based and has some connection to religion.

This is one of those books that I'm going to keep around and read whenever I'm feeling like I could use a lift. It's short and sweet and the perfect gift for Mother's Day.

Books for Kids
Cathy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This small book is an inspirational read. In it you will read true to life stories about author Connie Sokol and her family. You will learn that motherhood is important, and that it's important to do your best. A big thing that I took from this book was that it's okay to be me and to mother in my own way, because that is the only way that I can do my best. My best is the only thing I can do and it will be good enough for my children. I loved this book! It should be a must read for every mother!
Danyelle Ferguson
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book! I've gone back and read sections because they are 1) short, so I have time to read them and 2) they make me feel so good about being a mom, loving it, stressing over it, and also the importance of making time for me. I bought a bunch of my friends copies for Mother's Day. Definitely a must read!
Erica
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

Been reading this little gem over the last little while. Borrowed it from the library, but probably need to buy my own copy. It's got great inspirational thoughts, many that I really needed on that particular day.

Love Connie Sokol; go to her class every year at BYU Education week. She's fantastic!
Peggy
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the frank look at motherhood and was inspired by the stories and insights. Motherhood is divine, even though it sometimes feels like just the opposite. Our calling as a mother is the most important thing we will ever do. I'm grateful to have resources that encourage and inspire me to be a better mom and to recognize that what I do as a mom has value over anything else I could achieve.
Rebecca Young
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A good little pick me up book for moms. I really enjoy Connie Sokol. I have seen her speaking many times and she is funny and entertaining...and as the mother of seven children, she definitely has some great insight and perspective!
Natalie
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great pick-me-up, inspiring, and enjoyable to read! Quick read, only took a couple of hours. I love listening to Connie, she's so energetic, down-to-earth, and fun! If you get a chance to hear her speak - go. In the mean time, read one of her books or listen to her audio talks.
Mindy
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Wonderful quick read about the joys of motherhood.
Amber Spencer
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I already love this author, but these words are especially helpful this week.
Brynn
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-family
I loved just about every page of this book. A quick and easy read, and very uplifting.
Emily Wilding
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Got this for Mother's Day. Uplifting.
Lucia Pollock
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I thought this book was so good! It was very relatable, and she used a lot of examples to help explain the concepts. She came up with ways that you can really apply these concepts. She explained them simply and helped me understand how to do it, without fearing the change. It got me excited to make changes in my life that I can actually stick to! She helps it become something simple and easy instead of daunting and dreadful! 10/10 would recommend!