Start by marking “Making Good” as Want to Read:
Making Good

Making Good

What Color Is Your Parachute for the Facebook generation.

As we emerge from the recession, a generation is searching for practical ways to succeed financially while also making positive changes in the world. From energy to food to education, Making Good outlines how to do this. These opportunities are not just for entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies: Making Good outline
Published February 28th 2012 by Penguin (Group) Canada

To ask other readers questions about Making Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Good

Dave
This book is fantastic. Totally encouraging for the growing numbers of do-gooders and people wanting to work to benefit more than just themselves, trying to figure out how to do that in the real working world.

The stories of what other people are doing and the introspective exercises are energizing. The overall sense of encouragement the book gives—that you're not alone and you can do it—is probably the most valuable part. It's hard feeling like you need to be a good, positive influence on the w
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Making good had some interesting activities to try, and I liked their chapters on using design thinking and community organizing to create social change. They focus on the questions, "How will I make money? What does doing good mean to me? How do I want to spend my time?" Sometimes it felt a little too much like "self help" for my taste.
1. Reflect on important question
2. Adapt to a changing world
3. Connect deeply with the right people
4. Design work that's smarter
5. Launch soon, expect some failu
John
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
It offers inspirational advice and gives you the guts to jump off the deep-end and try a new venture. It read really quickly, so I think I need a second time to absorb. Not sure how the six steps really mesh together.
Caroline
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic for all those who want to make change and make a living. No matter where you are on that journey -- even if you've been making good for years -- this book has practical tools, inspiring examples, and really tangible suggestions for how to make good.
Jared
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Many young people coming of age today face a confounding puzzle with pieces that, at first glance, do not seem all that easy to fit together for a picture of a clear and hopeful future. On the one hand, we belong to “the most progressive generation in American history” and exhibit record levels of commitment to positive social change. Yet, on the other hand, we are the generation currently experiencing the highest unemployment rate in America. Even among those who do have jobs, many are making l ...more
Penelope
I received an ARC of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

2 stars

Ok, I've given it a shot and well over a month after starting this book, I simply cannot finish it. I've picked it up about three times in the past couple weeks and have progressed maybe 3 paragraphs. I've accepted the fact that I will not finish reading this book, having made it halfway through.

Chapter 4 is really what killed it for me, specifically the "How Will You Make Money?" section, which is really more like "How will you
Gail
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
This is exactly the book I needed at this moment in my life, and I would recommend it to every one of my peers who wants to make a positive difference with their life's work yet isn't sure how to do that.

The argument is that it is possible to do good and make a good living doing it. This book addresses our fears and worries about following a nonlinear career path, abundant opportunities for rebuilding and transforming industries, key questions to reflect upon, identifying skills to learn, differ
Changemaker Community
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: innovation
While this book primarily targets recent college grads, it can serve as a primer for do-gooders of all ages. All that's required to make the most of this practical guide is a big heart and equally big vision for changing the way we work. Are you worried about your financial future? Don't. Making Good will inspire you to create work that is meaningful as well as rewarding.

These choice quotes speak volumes:

"If you choose to be a change maker, most of the time it will feel like you are up against t
Jessica Buike
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really connected to everything discussed in this book - I'm a late-20-something who wants to do something meaningful but has only run into roadblocks and frustration. I loved the quote on p.39: "Your vocation is where your greatest passion meets the world's greatest need." The reader really embarks on a journey of self-exploration in these pages, and this is a good read for any aspiring social entrepreneur. It's also a great reference, and one that I personally will refer back to again!
Humayun Khan
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, career
Fantastic guide for anyone looking to deviate from the known and linear and probe the more non-traditional routes of looking inwards to see how it is you can create meaning for your self outwards. Packed with great tips, tools, exercises, and resources, making it a very hands-on action oriented guide to doing just the cover advertises, find meaning, money, and community in a changing world.
Kathleen
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good book for me to read. I was inspired, received guidance on what my next steps should be, and now have a great list of resources and other books to read that will help me prepare for Outlet making good in this world. Overall a good read, especially if you are interested in the environment.
Kayla
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for the (slightly) lost soul who wants to do some good in the world but doesn't know where to start. The best part? It's not a bunch of inspirational phrases (thigh those are in there) but a practical guidebook to getting started. Can't wait to take action from this and make some positive changes.
Shawn Williamson
Good - not great - there was one bit in the middle about why we all loved gong to university is the fact that we lived in close quarters with like-minded people however the ultimate goal of graduating university was to move into a big house and be separated from people and be lonely and bored ... very thought-provoking ...
Kevin Miller
Apr 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
his manifesto was awesome. Why not read the book too?

Billy was a boss. Everyone who talked to him said that he was able to understand their businesses almost instantly and give great, important feedback.
Mike
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Making Good is both uplifting and inspirational as it is informative and practical. An easy read that found me taking notes as if it were a textbook. Thank you Billy and Dev for showing me that there are a whole lot of people just like me.
Du
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I so wanted to like this book. The writing is accessible, and three topic it's interesting, but the total package isn't delivered. I snm not sure what is missing, but the book felt too pedestrian. Too much like a pulled together project.
Kate Pipa
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for anybody thinking of going into a career involving social impact or wanting to make social impact in general. Highlights a lot of organizations and people doing great things and gives step-by-step tips in how to start something yourself.
Mark
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
There's good advice here on current generation new age careers, a view of this generations aspirational voice, and some over-reaching philosophy. I think it's worthy reading with good resources but not quite a seminal work of this generation. Important input and influence for sure.
Diane
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had such high expectations for this book and was sorely disappointed. Instead of focusing on several entrepreneurs who combine success with doing "good", it presented a dumbed down version of how the two authors moved through their lives. What a disappointment!
Dave Myers
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far, cant put it down, as other books that I have read concerning this topic of manifesting your goals it remains to be quite meaty and I find myself having to re-read certain paragraphs! 2am reads n tea for the win! =D
Dan
Dec 31, 2013 added it
Great book. Plenty of useful information and profiles on successful companies in the world of social innovation.
Sameer Mawani
ended on 112 - needs to go back to the library...
Melissa
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Lots of "green" examples due to their areas of expertise, but the overall advice was good and gave me some ideas and motivation.
Janine Martins
Loved it!
Joe Ginese
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good overview and inspiration to make an idea happen.
Cary
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a game changer, and a must read for anyone, young or old, who hold themselves to a higher moral standard and want to make a difference in the world--and get paid doing it.
Saraes
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book with practical tips for those looking to make an impact, launch their own careers, and save the world.
Alya
Dec 31, 2013
Graham
Jan 28, 2013
Fiona
Feb 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rippling: How Social Entrepreneurs Spread Innovation Throughout the World
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity
  • Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • Get Big Fast and Do More Good: Start Your Business, Make It Huge, and Change the World
  • Rebuild the Dream
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • Glimmer: How Design Can Transform Your Life, and Maybe Even the World
  • The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative Groups
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism
  • Making Home: Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • Pocket Neighborhoods: Creating Small-Scale Community in a Large-Scale World
  • The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World
  • The Power of the Herd: Building Social Intelligence, Visionary Leadership, and Authentic Community through the Way of the Horse