Start by marking “The Word Collector” as Want to Read:
The Word Collector

The Word Collector

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Luna is passionate about words. She loves their light and becomes tickled with laughter from them. But one day she realizes that, little by little, the beautiful, gorgeous, and fun words are disappearing from the world—so she decides it's time to act. A poetic tale about the magic of words, this delightful story invites readers of all ages to enjoy the power that positive ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Cuento de Luz (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Word Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word Collector

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
I think I was having a surrealist evening with the books I picked. Lovely book and very creative but so glad that all of the text was printed normally at the end.

4/24/13 - I can't believe that I read this again today and totally forgot that I read this a year ago. And my feelings about the book haven't changed. Wow!
The Styling Librarian
The Word Collector by Sonja Wimmer – Here’s to one of the most beautiful books you can read. Seriously. Gorgeous. Now, sometimes the text might be a little confusing and you might not understand how to read it, which is why there’s page spread text explained on a page at the end of the book. I loved how a girl has a hobby of collecting words but then feels better when she shares those words with people around the world.

I shared this book with my Year 3 and 4 students for our reference book discu
Lisa Vegan
What an odd little book. It took me a few pages to realize that this isn’t a mostly wordless story. At first I thought all the words were random words. Even once I realized they made up the story, I was really grateful that at the end of the book there are 2 pages that give the entire story text, with applicable pages from the main part of the book. In the story proper, I found the words difficult to read.

I should love this book. It’s about words and the power of words and collecting and giving.
Betsy
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
What is the ultimate goal of the picture book import? When someone takes the time to bring over and translate a work for children, they're expecting that book to be able to say something universal. They want the book to be enjoyable to child readers regardless of nationality, which, when you sit down and think about it, is a pretty lofty goal. Yet this year I've been seeing some absolutely amazing translations in America for kids. From the Colombian Jimmy the Greatest to the Norwegian John Jense ...more
Terri
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is one strange book. The highly stylized illustrations are slightly askew, which is a perfect fit for the text that flows in, over, and around the pages in no particular order... left to right, right to left, up and down, all for no apparent reason. It's not like the text is concrete poetry wherein the shape, flow and direction of the text is connected to the meaning. Not at all. This prose ebbs and flows for no apparent reason. Pair this with curly script font and you have a book that is s ...more
Jj
May 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nice idea here, but the story is VERY hard to follow--even without the difficulty of trying to follow and decipher the text as it is arranged on each page. It has a lovely whimsical idea at its heart, but the combination of thinly stretched story and creatively arranged text does not work in its favor. Unfortunately, a charming idea and whimsical illustrations cannot make up for all of the shortcomings of this book.
Kerri
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a fun, beautiful, creative book with a great message. I love that it has such a unique approach to the story telling.
Jamie Forrest
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
What a beautiful book! I'm going to have to add this one to my collection!
Desiree
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The pictures were awesome
Inge
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
A frustrating picture book with impossible to decode text. The kind of book that adults think children like. Faux-inspiring nonsense.
Daena
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book shows the importance of always using words, especially positive words, no matter how busy people think they are.
Beth
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Luna loves words. She collects them like some people collect stamps or dolls. But one day everything changed and the words began to disappear. This is the story of what she did to prevent all the words from going away.

I loved the idea and message of this book, but the way the words were printed on the page was so laborious to read that I seriously doubt kids are going to want to put forth the effort. I realize that the text is printed normally on the last two pages, but the fact that there need
Cheryl
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
But there is not an abundance or a plethora of wondrous words in the book! The art makes the words that are used *appear* enchanted, but they're mundane. And when Luna goes into the world and shares the words she's collected, those words supposedly charm the people, creating amiability, joy, and a kind of hippy or New Age community... but what *are* those terrific words??

For wonderful words, read William Steig or The BFG by Dahl or just about anything from back in the day....

ETA: or read poetry.
Michelle McBeth
I so very much wanted to love this book. The illustrations are gorgeous and I love the story about the power of words. But what is the point of a book that you cannot read? I had to go cross eyed in several places to make sense of the twisted writing. I understand the author wanted to be creative here, but there is a fine line between creative and too creative. When the words of a sentence are jumbled up in a jar, children will not be able to read the words. When you have to move your eyes up, d ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
An interesting book- I like the idea of it and the text, once you get it to come out works decently well with the strange perspectives and textures of the illustrations. Thankfully, the text is written out in the back, as it's a little difficult to make out in the story due to the (artistic?) arrangement of the words. In some ways I kind of liked that it was difficult to read, as it forces you to take a bit more time with the book than a short text would normally. I generally liked the depiction ...more
Fjóla
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The book is lovely and beautifully illustrated, although it fell a little short for me. Sure enough, I'd been excited to read it and I liked the idea of the little word collecting girl (who looked like Merida from the movie Brave, as my son remarked), it's just that nothing substantial ever came of it. Thus, I'm rating it 3 1/2 stars. I really, really liked the pictures and they alone may be worth it, and the story might have worked better in a different format, like if it was animated on a big ...more
Christine Turner
Luna is passionate about words. She loves their light and becomes tickled with laughter from them. But one day she realizes that, little by little, the beautiful, gorgeous, and fun words are disappearing from the world; so, she decides it's time to act. A poetic tale about the magic of words, this delightful story invites readers of all ages to enjoy the power that positive words can have.

Notes
Sonja Wimmer is an award-winning illustrator whose work has been featured in books, posters, and magazi
babyhippoface
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Odd. The illustrations, I mean. Odd.

You sort of have to f
ol
low the
txet
as it flows
across
egap eht
and it gets a little intense.

I feel like this is more a moral lesson for adults than a book for children. It's a nice message, and one we could all stand to hear from time to time, but I don't know how many kids will give it the attention needed to read it. I assume some kids will look at it and say, "Chuck it. I don't have time to try to decipher this stuff. Just give me a Wimpy Kid book and l
Miss Kelly
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am working on a research project on fonts and picture books and illustration. I chose this book because it is a picture book, and it is about a little girl who collects words. She uses the words she collects to travel to the various locations to spread cheer and harmony. One thing I enjoyed about this picture book, because the pictures help tell the story, but it may be hard to read the book because of the illustrations and the way the words flow throughout the pages layout, at the end of the ...more
Angela Hutchinson
I thought this book was a little difficult to read, but in the back of the book the pages are translated for easier reading. I don't think that a beginning reader should try to tackle this book unless they are advanced readers. This would be a good book to read aloud to the students. In this book, Luna has a love for words and she collects them. Then there is a word shortage, so Luna decides to share her words. Finally, her all the words she had collected ran out. Gratefully, she realized that p ...more
Victoria
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am guessing this is a book that kids will either love or hate. I like the magical, soft illustrations. And the words are scattered across some pages like an alphabet soup. I enjoy the differing fonts and the jumbled pages are almost like a word search puzzle. Not all the pages are this way. Never fear...there is a key at the back of the book for exactly what each page says. I would have loved this book as a kid, and I think it will tap the imagination of those who need some extra incentive to ...more
Jessica
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely story about a little girl who appreciates the beauty and magic of words until she notices they are beginning to disappear because people don't think they're important any more. So she decides to share them with everyone. Although parts of the story are challenging to read because the words are (intentionally) jumbled, there are page "translations" at the end of the story to assist with interpretation.
louisa
Translated from Spanish, Sonja Wimmer's The Word Collector is a children's book for adults in both design and content. Wimmer's words spiral and corkscrew like the red hair of her heroine, a young girl who lives in the sky and collects beautiful, strange, important, crazy, and admirable words.

This layout fits the subject material and demands the reader spend time with the work. Though don't worry, the book has the text as plain text appended at the end as well.
Relyn
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: art and word lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: Katie Struckhoff
Shelves: lawsonland
I liked this book. Really liked this book. The art was amazing, and being a word collector myself, I loved the premise. The problem I had with it, was that it is actually hard to read. It's such a piece of art that it was difficult for my students to read. Yes, the publisher added the text to the afterward, but it just didn't grab my students in the back on a plain white page. So, I loved it five stars worth. My second graders loved it three stars worth. I compromised at a four.
Mike
An absolutely gorgeous book about losing, finding, sharing, and creating "beautiful" words. The artwork make the book it one that must be shared one on one (but there are two pages with the text clearly written out if one attempted to use this in a storytime). The little girl's name is Luna which has always been a special word for Lucia and me.
Gloria Miller
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Soooooooo, ya break a few rules and WoW, you get Luna's adventure with words. Shades of Double Trouble in Walla! You will want to share this adventure with every child you know. The format requires a first read before sharing with your class or reading group so you can slip seamlessly through Luna's delightful flight. My new favorite picture book to use as an example of strong Word Choice.
Holly
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful illustrations, and the font plays along with the story. It is hard to read at first, because the writing tries to mirror the plot. I read it a time or three before I was confident enough to read straight through. The values and story are really great, though, and the illustrations are unique.
Mike Diakuw
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This isn't a book for the impatient (adult or child). This is a book that invites creativity and discussion not just about language, but also about how books even work (AND how this book breaks some of the basic rules and largely gets away with it).

What a beautiful gift to give to a pre-school child--good conversation and a love of language.
Amy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a whimsical (and hard to read) book about a girl who loves words. Thankfully, the words on each page are also listed in the back of the book because it takes a good deal of effort to determine them in the story. I liked it because I am a reader and appreciate proper use of language, which seems to be a shrinking trait in our society (as is illustrated in the story).
Shelli
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations that make me wish to have an ounce of artistic skills. The Word Collector is a bit abstract in story, and some pages were a bit harder to read because of the way the words flowed chaotic across the page. The author was kind enough to put the story again in the back of the book to ensure you didn't miss a single wonderful word.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
  • The Santa Trap
  • The Insomniacs
  • The Bog Baby
  • Nothing
  • Kali's Song
Sonja loves painting pictures and telling stories. After studying and working some years as a Grafikdesigner in her hometown Munich and Brussels, she decided to pack her suitcase and move to Barcelona to study Illustration at the "Llotja" Arts and Crafts School. Since then she lives between brushes and all kinds of wonderful tales, working as freelance illustrator for publishing houses and other c ...more
More about Sonja Wimmer...