Start by marking “Life Doesn't Frighten Me” as Want to Read:
Life Doesn't Frighten Me

Life Doesn't Frighten Me

Maya Angelou's poetic celebration of the courage within each person is matched by the daring vision of artist Basquiat, whose childlike style reveals the fanciful imaginings of childhood. In this introduction to poetry and contemporary art, brief biographies of Angelou and Basquiat accompany the text and artwork.
Published February 6th 1996 by Harry N. Abrams (first published February 6th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Life Doesn't Frighten Me, please sign up.
Dymond Life and the craziness that comes with it. That's what see want us to see that there is nothing to be scared of.
…more
(less)

Start your review of Life Doesn't Frighten Me
Petra-X
The poem might not frighten you, but Basquiat's pictures might. The blurb says that pictures are 'childlike' but anyone familiar with Basquiat's art would wonder at that. The book is ostensibly a children's book, but I just bought the 25th Anniversary hardback edition as an art book. I cannot imagine that any child would actually enjoy these harsh, self-referencing pictures.

Basquiat grew up in prosperous home but ran away at 15 and commenced his life of sex n drugs n ... rap. He was a grafitti a
James
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an inspired coupling of the powerful words of Angelou and the striking paintings of Basquiat. Angelou gives us a simple poem about fears, bravery and ultimately about finding the fearlessness and faith in ourselves - words which are here matched and enhanced by the childlike and vivid style of Basquiat's art.

It's a mix of words and images that is powerful and intelligent as well as being both accessible and engaging.
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I read this book a few years back and loved the simplicity of the poem and the beautiful artwork of Jean-Michel Basquiat. I discovered his artwork while I was in high school and I remember telling artist about him and they didn't have a clue who he was let alone his artwork.

Then I picked up this book again because I saw the democratic convention and saw this politician and he referenced Maya Angelou poem in his speech which I disliked
Kerfe
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a picture book for children, this combination of a poem by Maya Angelou and artwork by Jean-Michel Basquiat blends beautifully. The poem is one that children (or anyone) can easily identify with--confronting our demons, the challenges of the world. And Basquiat was a master at depicting demons.

As much as the book itself, the biographies of these two artists at the end reflect both the difficulties and the triumphs each faced and lived, the universal in the individual.
تماضر المهدي
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Her words are magic ❤️
Eva Leger
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
As soon as Julia saw the "dinosaur" on the cover I knew we'd be checking it out of the library. I didn't even bother looking at the author, title, or flipping through it because I knew I'd be in for the fight of my life so we just took it.
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw who the author was when we finally picked it up to read it.
Now about the book. Julia wasn't too thrilled to find out her dinosaur was really a dragon but she said it was going to be "a T-Rex just for me" so we picked ours
Rauf
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rauf by: Chris Rock
Shadows on the wall, noises down the hall. Life doesn’t frighten me at all
Bad dogs barking loud, big ghosts in a cloud. Life doesn’t frighten me at all
Mean old Mother Goose, lions on the loose. They don’t frighten me at all
Dragons breathing flame on my counterpane. That doesn’t frighten me at all.
I go boo, make them shoo
I make fun, way they run
I won’t cry, so they fly
I just smile, they go wild
Life doesn’t frighten me at all.
Tough guys fight, all alone at night. Life doesn’t frighten me at all.
Pa
Sam Grace
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is intense. Even though the poem is written as if from a child's perspective, that does not mean that it is light or easy. It is dark, and the paintings are dark. It is scary. I do not know what reaction a child might have to this (though I will certainly read it to my eventual hypothetical child - maybe not RIGHT before bed though ...), but I like the strength and vulnerability present in it. The awareness of the dangers of the world, of the reality of those dangers, and the commitmen ...more
Itzel
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a poem. It has rhymes and it flowed. The book was about what someone would be frighten of. But the things mentioned did not seem to scare the character, the author. It seemed like they have courage or bravery since they were not frightened by what others would be.

The illustrations were very abstract in this book. Many of the illustrations were in a dark tone color or in bright color. When the picture was white the page was black and when the illustration was colorful, the page was
Kaethe Douglas
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Life Doesn't Frighten Me - Maya Angelou, Jean-Michel Basquiat (Illustrator) I really can't imagine that I would have cared much for the art of Basquiat if the editor hadn't done such a fabulous job of pairing the words with the pictures. The result feels like a close collaboration, rather than an after-the-fact pairing. Nice back matter, for those who care, too.And a shout-out to my local librarians who always find new books to tempt me with in their displays, even when I'm in  bit of a reading ...more
Bobby
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I am fan of Maya Angelou's writing and Basquiat's art but their "collaboration" in the form of this book doesn't work all that great in my opinion. Mostly because there seems to be a big mismatch between Maya Angelou's positive/uplifting poem and the darker themes of Basquiat's paintings (the latter are not appropriate for many younger kids). Good try though...
Amy
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i love this book! the juxtaposition of the beautiful words and violent art is amazing. i use it in clas at the beginning of the year and give each kid a "magic stone" to keep them safe at times they may feel frightened.
Marjorie Ingall
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grownups
Dramatis personae:

Jo, a teenage babysitter
Ellie, a 3-year-old.

Jo: Let's read this one!
Ellie: No. That looks scary.
Jo: Well, let's give it a try?
[begins reading]
Shadows on the wall, noises down the hall. Life doesn’t frighten me at all.
Bad dogs barking loud, big ghosts in a cloud. Life doesn’t frighten me at all.

Ellie: This is a bad book. These pictures are scary.
Jo: Should we stop?
Ellie: Yes. No.
Jo: [finishes reading]
Ellie: That was a very bad book. Who is that lady? [points to author photo]
Kris
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Look. It’s a poem by Maya Angelou and artwork by Basquiat. Separately, they are artistic masterpieces. I get what the editor was doing in trying to put them together, and I guess it kind of works, but not for kids. Every single kid I showed this to found the art work terrifying. The message of the poem couldn’t get through.
Mary Adeson
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read, poetry
For those days when you need to remind yourself 'Life doesn't frighten me"!

A collection of poems reminding children and adults to be aware of your fears, but don't let them paralyse you.

When you combine two iconic people, words by Maya Angelou and art Jean-Michael Basquiat you're onto to a winner.

A teacher could do great things with this!
Emily Duchon
Basquiat did the illustrations for this. Delicious.
Katelyn Krigbaum
Life Doesn't Frighten Me is a poem about fearlessness. It describes the things that people can be afraid of but it also brings a sense of bravery to it as well. Through this book, children will be able to see that they can overcome their fears. The illustrations are child-like however, it can appeal to children so that they can better relate to it through the illustrations. Overall, this is a great book for children to read and finish it feeling empowered.
Shawna Vinovich
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is engaging and has really neat artistic illustrations for students in kindergarten through first grade. It goes through different scenarios that could happen to people in life and how life doesn’t frighten them at all. I could use this book when teaching about emotions. How it is okay if certain things are freighting, but also teach them how to be brave and how to overcome their fears to make them not frightened anymore.
Laura Motush
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book incorporates the art of writing and the art of creating paintings. Maya Angelou wrote a poem for kids and Jean-Michel Basquiat created paintings to go along with the poem. This is a great example of art and writing coming together, and can be used in both a young classroom or an older classroom to teach students how they can incorporate images and words.
Samantha
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
Life may not frighten me, but I must admit that many of Basquiat's paintings leave me feeling unsettled. I love Maya Angelou's poem though, and I think the combination of paintings and stanzas is good.
Jessica
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and beautiful. Life doesn't frighten me--theme but well-honed so as not to be preachy. Good illustrations.
Emily
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Emily by: Petra-X
Shelves: picture-books
The poem is empowering and the illustrations stuck with me. A good read.
Jim
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, poetry
love the poem, but i think the art would have terrified me when i was a kid
Stacy
May 03, 2012 added it
Love this book...this message...this woman
Priyanka
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An invaluable primer for the children who whistle in the dark and a message of bravery and resilience for one and all.
Josh Lancette
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite kid's book. Poem by Maya Alengou and art by Jean-Michel Basquiat. Yes, please.
Flami
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girls-rock, dub
An Ode to confidence.
Angelou's powerful words backed up by Basquiat's illustrations are a call for our imagination and for our deepest strength.
Lizzie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great pairing with Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat Surprising how childlike the perspective of the poem feels. ...more
Gianni Outram
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life Doesn’t Frighten Me is a poem about being courageous in light of things that might be scary in life such as snakes or unfriendly classmates. The speaker of the poem does not let these things frighten her because she has a magic charm up her sleeve. This poem speaks highly of the power of bravery that can be found inside all of us.

This book is a great introduction to poetry and art for young students. Maya Angelou’s strong words are paired with Basquiat’s contemporary art in order to create
Alora
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Life Doesn’t Frighten Me by Maya Angelou, paintings by Jean-Michel Basquiat
Additional Poetry Selection

I loved the idea behind the book! Some of the thoughts I had while reading include: the abilty of being able to stand strong, and have no fears is something that is so important to instill in young children! Being fearless is a trait that I do not find often in young kids. This book allows for students that read this, to think about their fears and why they are a fear.

The illustrations of thi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• O amanhã não está à venda
  • Der Besuch
  • I Love My Hair!
  • Turma da Mônica: Laços
  • O Paraíso são os Outros
  • Gramercy Park
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was ...more