Start by marking “An Abundance of Katherines” as Want to Read:
An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  412,577 ratings  ·  23,132 reviews
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washedup child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-lovin ...more
Published October 16th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about An Abundance of Katherines, please sign up.
Raleigh Rand Colin was annoying but started to become endearing. I loved it when Hassan told him how selfish he was then later decided that he (Hassan) was the…moreColin was annoying but started to become endearing. I loved it when Hassan told him how selfish he was then later decided that he (Hassan) was the selfish one. He was right on both accounts. Colin really wants to be normal. Not really a genius or a prodigy. He just wants to be normal. We know this because he follows Hassan's cues as to what to how to act normal. Hassan tells him this is the way to act and no, never say that. So Colin is happy to follow the guidelines. He wants guidelines, as opposed to what his father wants and that is for Colin to be more than he ever was, and to be a genius. Colin is trying hard to live up to his father's expectations. The roadtrip ends up being wonderful for him because he finally finds himself. Away from his hovering, over-expectant parents. (less)
Paakhi I actually found his whining justifiable, given the circumstances he was in. I mean he had been dumped by eighteen Katherines, he wasn't prodigy and…moreI actually found his whining justifiable, given the circumstances he was in. I mean he had been dumped by eighteen Katherines, he wasn't prodigy and he thought he's never be a genius and he also had the chronic disease of wanting to matter to the world. I feel the every protagonist John writes about wants to matter, but anyway, I think Collin's whining isn't bad.
After thinking about it, he doesn't really whine that much. And Hassan always makes everything funny anyway, so. (less)

·  412,577 ratings  ·  23,132 reviews

Start your review of An Abundance of Katherines
Dawn
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Things that I was sick of by the end of this book:

1. Anagrams and tangents
2. Use of the words jewfro, fug, fugger, fugging, kafir
3. Colin's whining--actually, Colin in general
4. Katherines
Megs ♥

This was by far the worst experience I've ever had reading a John Green book. I really always enjoy his writing and humor, but this one just didn't do anything for me.

I don't think the book was horrible, but it couldn't hold my attention too long so I was happy it was very short. If it was any longer I probably wouldn't have finished it. I couldn't stand Colin. He was annoying and whiny and just because he acknowledges that fact himself doesn't mean it makes it any less annoyin
Nick

2 DISAPPOINTING STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

You don't know what expectations I had about this book.I have read other John Green's book like Looking for Alaska and The Faublog!
Youclass="gr-hostedUserImg">

2 DISAPPOINTING STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

You don't know what expectations I had about this book.I have read other John Green's book like Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars and really liked them especially the first one,also the hype about this book is insane so I thought why not.Guess I thought wrong.

description

This book sure contains the marvel of John Green's smart writing,and it is so realatable,especially if you are a nerdy teen with tumblr,and that's smart and unique in a way,and I gave this book 2 stars just because of that.In the other hand it is boring,like ultimately boring.First I thought the idea with dating only girls named Katherine would be interesting or fun,but it turned out to be so dull and I really thought of not finishing this book.The only part of the book I did like was the ending and the famous John Green tumblr-ish positive message and to be honest was good.I really wanted to like this book.

description

The characters were also the famous author's characters.If you are have read at least 2 books by this author,you can guess.A nerdy smart boy who happens to meet a popular unhappy girl,from who he learns about the beauty of living free and young,and also falls in love with.I did not like his sidekick,Hassan.He was annyoing and similar to some persons I do happen to know in real life,who I dislike a lot.

description

The story follows a boy named Colin,who is a prodigy(a really smart kid) and has this weird habit on dating only girl named Katherine.He has dated 19 Katherines and was dumbed by every single on of them.Devestated by his last break up he decides to go on a trip with his only friend,Hassan.They happen to go to this small town where they meet Lindsey,and her mother Hollis,who offers a job and a home.They decide to stay and there Colin stars his theorem about the relationships and everything start to happen in Colin's life.Things he never ecperienced before.

____________________________________________
“I figured something out. The future is unpredictable.”

description

I recommend this book if you are into smart books.It was so slow for me,but the ending is good and it is a positive book.If you are super into John Green's books then you should read this!

*Pictures from the review are not mine, I took them mostly from Google images or Tumblr*
Natalie Monroe
A reenactment of the moment An Abundance of Katherines was conceived:

John Green sat at his desk, quietly contemplating the ghettoization of scrambled eggs as a breakfast food and brainstorming ideas for his new book.

His last novel, Looking for Alaska, had done moderately well, but he wanted to do something different this time. Something to show his critics that he wasn't a one-trick pony yet out-of-there enough to show his nerdfighters that he was one of them. An outsider, a man of the people.

A reenactment of the moment An Abundance of Katherines was conceived:

His eyes drifted to a map taped on the wall, then to an unfinished Scrabble game from last night. His brother Hank had been kicking his butt, but had to leave to mediate on the metaphysics of ice-cream trucks before he could finish spelling 'hamartia' (luckily).

As he was idly staring at his unused letters, it hit him. "Eureka!" he yelled, glasses sliding down his nose in his excitement. "That's it! I'll write a book about anagrams! That's nerdy and chic, and in no way like my last protagonist's obsession with famous last words."

John picked up the letters, rearranging them in his head: 'Hem, arrow, hero. Yes, hero! He needed a protagonist. Preferably one like himself. White male, middle-class range, intelligent, quirky... but as an extra twist, his quirkiness would be the result of autism. Mild autism. Nothing too heavy. Fans won't be able to relate to him! Also, research is hard. I'd rather philosophize on Venn diagrams of octopi and dogs.'

Putting the letters down, he paced the floor, dialogue and plot points bombarding his head like unformed constellations. 'My protagonist should have a best friend like Colonel. Quirky enough to get his jokes, but won't overshadow the main character, which is in no way like me. Let's make him an Arab, too. That takes care of the diversity problem. And a love interest! Gorgeous and quirky. Oh, and she should exist to teach my main character an important lesson. Yay, feminism points! But how do I get them to meet?"

His gaze landed on the map again.

'A road trip! That's not like Pudge and Colonel's emotional journey to find Alaska at all!'

John laughed, clapped his hands together and sat down in front of his laptop. Then he began to write.

'John, my man, I don't know how you think of this stuff.'

Simcsa
I tried. I really did, believe me! But I can't do it, it's boring, it has no plot whatsoever and I don't like any of the characters. I'm not going to torture myself..
Maggie Stiefvater
As a YA author, I'd heard the name "John Green" whispered in the YA wind for months, but I'd never picked up one of his books until I read a synopsis for AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES online. My husband, a pretty reluctant reader, snitched it from me and devoured it, so I was expecting great things.

I wasn't disappointed. This story of a boy struggling to come up with a theory that describes the arc of his 19 relationships with girls named Katherine was, in many places, laugh out loud fu
Kim
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Colin Singleton is not a vampire or a werewolf or a sorcerer or a punning Austin zombie. He doesn’t live in a dystopian society, he hasn’t slept with his teacher. He doesn’t do drugs, his parents aren’t divorced, and he’s suffered no traumas unless you count being dumped by a slew (okay, nineteen) of girls named Katherine.

So, why am I reading this? I have been programmed to only care about supernatural cute boys. I call this my mid life crisis. If I give in and self analyze, I would say that I’
Emma (Miss Print)
May 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a fun read
Picture this: You used to be a childhood prodigy. Member of an academic game team. You excelled in school. You were special. You met a girl named Katherine and the two of you started dating.

Then she dumps you.

Then eighteen more girls named Katherine dump you.

Suddenly, you're a teenager with no claim to fame except for your former status as a prodigy. No new ideas. No girl. No plans for the summer excepting wasting away in your room and moping.

This
Erin
Dec 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Had I been reading this on paper instead of my computer, it probably would have gone into the fireplace here: "She was incredibly hot--in that popular-girl-with-bleached-teeth-and-anorexia kind of way, which was Colin's least favorite way of being hot." And if somehow it had survived that initial immolation, I definitely would have shredded it for birdcage fodder (and I don't even own a bird!) here: "She looked prettier than she ever had before--Colin always preferred girls without makeup."
Claudia Ramírez
Well, I enjoyed this one much more than I was expecting!
Anna
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not really sure who
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I was not terribly impressed with Katherines. I read Green's Looking For Alaska and thought it was one of the best young adult novels I have ever read SO I was expecting this book to measure up to a higher standard. Unfortunately, it did not even come close.

Here's my beef with the book:

1) The characters. I had a really hard time getting into Katherines because the characters were not too likable. Green gave the characters personalities, but he missed something in the character development category that could have made his c/>1)
Priscilla
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There's so much John Green-ness in this book, I love it :)

1. Love the footnotes
2. Love Hassan
3. Love dialogue
4. Love the story

Fuggin right.

Check out my video review!
Darth J
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was my first John Green book. I get his appeal in that he can create characters that, although very different from us, can somehow resonate with our emotions and experiences.

I ordered this book used on Amazon, and as luck would have it before when I got an autographed Rainbow Rowell book, I somehow was fortunate enough to score a first edition of this one:

Apparently, a first edition of one of his early booksclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Apparently,
Scarlet
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, printz-honor
2.5

Here are some things I’ve realized after reading AAoK:

1. John Green is a talented, clever writer with a great sense of humor.

2. Contrary to what I’d like to think, I’m still math-phobic.

3. I’ll never, ever date a has-been child prodigy. Or a washed-up genius. Or a whiny guy who speaks 11 languages. Or whatever it is that Colin’s supposed to be.

An Abundance of Katherines is a hilarious book but it did not make me laugh. Okay, maybe a little but that was mo/>
An ...more
Cory
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book sitting on my desk for two months. I'm a huge John Green fan, so you can see why this is problematic.

The Albuquerque library system is pretty bad. Out of all the libraries systems I've ever used, this has to be the worst. Not only does it not stock any of Justine Larbalestier's books, but it also doesn't have a decent collection of John Green's books.

It took me three months to get a copy of An Abundance of Katherines. It took me two months to finish it. Actually,
Andi 앤 디
Feb 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Yup. I'm still not a John Green fan.

One thing I have noticed about the characters John Green creates in his novels: they're too quirky, they're smart (this one in particular has an overly smart character) and they talk in quips. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE. At least not all the time. I think this is John's way of incorporating himself into his books.

Most YA readers see John Green as the best author ever, but his books are not that unique and his characters are the same with
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I may be one thousand years old, but I still love John Green books.

Commercial Photography

I read An Abundance of Katherines before I even knew who John Green was. Remember - I’m 1,000, so cut me some slack people! Over the past several years it has come to my attention that almost everyone else considers this to be the lesser of all of the Green works, which had me questioning my mental state (or whether or not I was intoxicated
LENA TRAK
I'll probably be dead by morning for daring to write this about one of Green's books but boy did I loathe this book... 1,5 stars just because I enjoyed the first 40 pages and because I can't help loving John Green.

Okay if this book was like 500 pages long I would have quit. Fortunately, it was a short read. This is the second time I've read Green and I cannot say I was impressed with this one. I'm sure I'll take pleasure in reading the rest of his books though(I was lucky enough to r
Jeff
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK WAS NOT MY CUP OF TEA.

So yeah, I got a couple laughs in the beginning.... nah i laughed like a bull and almost choked on my water -_-

But really, I'm about a third of the way through and I honestly have no idea what's going on.
NO IDEA.

......
NADA
ZILCH
ZERO

Because all there was in this book, was a love sick boy who just couldn't get his damn feelings in check.
And for some damn reason, THIS MC ONLY DATES GIRLS WHO GO BY THE NAME
Alaina
Changing my rating from 2 stars to 1 star because every time I rewrite or add something to this review I'm instantly annoyed all over again.

Okay, so this is the third time I'm going to rewrite this review. Then I'm going to walk away from it forever and not look back once.

An Abundance of Katherines follows Collin Singleton, who has a very specific type of dream girl. Well, I guess not really since he only really likes girls named Katherine. I don't think he really cares what they look like. It'/>An
Tatiana
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Green fans and those who love math and anagrams
Shelves: 2009, printz, ya
If you are familiar with John Green, you probably already know his winning formula: a nerdy nice guy with a funny side-kick best friend, meets and falls in love with a mysterious popular but ultimately unhappy girl, then some kind of road trip ensues during which a life altering realization is achieved.

"An Abundance of Katherines" is no exception. Only this time the nerdy guy (Colin) is not that endearing (unlike Miles in "Looking For Alaska" or Quentin in "Paper Town"), the funny side-kick (Ha
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Check out this audiobook!

I received a hard-disc copy of this audiobook for free in exchange for my honest opinion. Full review to come.

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. I think listening to this book as an audiobook really enhanced my experience while indulging in the story. Because of that, I would really like to thank Brilliance Audio for sending me a copy of the audiobook, it made me enjoy the book so much more than I would've if I had physically the book. My favorite part about this bo
Yonaily
This book is ABSURD. The main character is some quirky prodigy kid who gets dumped by girls named Katherines. He goes on about some non-sense theory who might help him predict future relationships. He is smart, loves anagrams, and uses words no other teenager has ever heard of. You know what?

Krissa
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I already said this in a review but I might just need a break from young adult fiction, because everyone I know who reads YA raved about this novel and I read it from cover to cover without once really engaging, and with far too many inward groans and eye-rolls.

I mean, for starters, the quirky teenaged characters were, um, very quirky. Very reliably quirky. Everyone had their schtick and everyone talked like they were in a Joss Wheden show. And hey, I LOVE Joss Whedon but it'
Chesca
“How do you just stop being terrified of getting left behind and ending up by yourself forever and not meaning anything to the world?”

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars
My first John Green book!

Everyone has a type, a distinct quality or feature we are always looking for in a potential partner. Meet child prodigy Colin Singleton. He liked girls named Katherine. Not Catherine, Cathy, Kathy, Katrina, Kat, Cat, or any other variant. K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E.

John Green’s An Abundance of Katherines tell
Madeline
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my roommates is a huge John Green fan, and after first introducing me to the series of videos he does with his brother (search "vlogbrothers" on Youtube or just watch this one), she told me that I should probably read some of his books. She suggested An Abundance of Katherines to start with, maintaining that it's better than Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. (incidentally, can anyone verify/disprove this claim? Just wondering)

So I read it, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. And since I've been watc
Nicole
Even John Green can't get foreign languages right *sigh in disappointment*
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, z2015
This was definitely my least favourite book by John Green.

For starters, Colin was absolutely unbearable. I disliked him so much and I hated listening to his inner monologue. He was so pretentious, arrogant, self-centred and he was just plain horrible. I didn't like the constant anagrams, maths, graphs or his theorem rants. This book didn't really have much of a plot apart from focusing on Colin and so I just didn't like it. His constant ramblings about Katherine drove me up the wall. He compare
Erica
I fully understand that disliking a John Green book is tantamount to asking to be shot in the head, tarred-n-feathered, and thrown in a flaming box over a cliff into a gorge of molten lava. I know that, I get that, I apologize to all whose lives I've destroyed with my hatredy.
But, man, I did NOT like this book.

I'm going to start by saying that from the outset of Colin's theory of dumpativity, I understood - and thought he would, too...like, immediately - that these things only
Rose Charpentier
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, boring, overrated
Boredom. That’s how I would describe this novel.

This was by far the worst experience I’ve ever had reading a book by John Green.

I don’t think the book was horrible, but it couldn’t hold my attention too long so I was happy it was very short. If it was any longer I probably wouldn’t have finished it.
I couldn’t stand Colin. He was annoying and whiny and just because he acknowledges that fact himself doesn’t mean it makes it any less annoying to read about.

2019 SQHS Your Li...: An Abundance of Katherines, John Green 9 11 Apr 22, 2019 10:38AM
Book Review 1 11 Oct 25, 2018 07:26AM
An Abundance Of Katherines 1 9 Jun 05, 2018 11:03AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green - Restarting June 20th 2018 123 313 May 20, 2018 02:33AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 May 07, 2018 09:35PM

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Eleanor & Park
  • All the Bright Places
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • Fangirl
  • Everything, Everything
  • Thirteen Reasons Why
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • We Were Liars
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • It's Kind of a Funny Story
  • Before I Fall
  • Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone

John Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New York Times bestselle
“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.” 16896 likes
“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” 11257 likes