Start by marking “Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet

(The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  311,372 ratings  ·  30,555 reviews
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles.

She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grav
Hardcover, 1st, 454 pages
Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.
Avaminn F'nett If you want. This is the worst in the series in my opinion, since I think Scarlet's storyline is the most boring. It's still good though.
Allison I would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a l…moreI would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a little bit uncomfortable at times. It's a good book, but maybe wait until they're a teenager.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,569 books — 11,029 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,498 books — 12,216 voters

More lists with this book...

·  311,372 ratings  ·  30,555 reviews

Start your review of Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Emily May
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
Sarah Maas
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Cristina Monica
This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
Katerina
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time, there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales. Her favorite was Red Riding Hood, and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning. A warning that she'd never shup up). The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-series
There should be more to this book.

I'm a sucker for a good fairytale rewrite - so I (mostly) enjoyed this retelling of Red Riding Hood.

BUT, the couple in this one (Scarlet and Wolf) and the book in general seemed to be missing something.
“What’s your name, anyway?”

That awkward shrug again. “They call me Wolf at the fights.”

“ Wolf? How … predatory."
It's like they are on the cusp of being truly great but fell a smidge short. Their rapport just seemed...off... Forced might be a better word.
Jenn
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
megs_bookrack
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarlet, the second installment of The Lunar Chronicles, showcases Meyer continuing to build out the world, raising the stakes and introducing the Reader to exciting new characters.

Most importantly, this novel proves she sure knows how to write a sequel!

Scarlet Benoit's Grandmother is missing and she seems to be the only one who cares.

As Scarlet begins looking into Grandma's mysterious disappearance, she meets a stranger, Wolf, a street fighter, who may have important information to aid in her
Sana
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Edit: i kind if realized how much i hate myself for giving this four stars. I have sinned omg, changing my rating to five stars like right fucking now,

THIS BOOK WAS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN Cinder.
description

Scarlet and Wolf will be the literal death of me. I'm incapable of writing a review for this. It's just....READ IT PLS.

description

THIS LAST IMAGE KILLED ME. I actually screamed you guys.

I love Wolf so much it hurts.
I need a Wolf in my life.
jessica
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its been awhile since i read cinder and, after reading this, all i have to say is ‘why did i wait so long!?’

holy smokes. i enjoyed this book so much more than cinder, and i thought cinder was wonderful. i was really impressed at how this not only had its own fairy tale twist (little red riding hood), but it also incorporated the previous retelling (cinderella) and resulted in this unique and entertaining book. i was a bit apprehensive at how it would work, being able to develop more of the stor
Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
Steph Sinclair
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder and Fairy Tail retellings
Recommended to Steph by: Me!

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-hate
"She did not know that the wolf
was a wicked sort of animal,
and she was not afraid of him."

She is sassy and fiesty.
He is dark, mysterious, and ADORABLE!
What more do you need people?!
. . . Did i mention she carries a gun around?? Yeah, you don't mess with that one. ;)

"Wait until morning," he said.
"The world wont be safe tonight."

Still cant find a perfect Wolf! This will do for now. Who do you guys picture as Wolf?

Now that i have read all four books, i can say this without a doubt Sca
Kassidy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
emma
Scarlet and Wolf are Matthias and Nina and that’s the tea.

Unfortunately, I was extremely Not Into Matthias and Nina, and through extrapolation (and also my true and real experience) I am also not into Scarlet and Wolf, and they are absolutely the duo at the very core of this book.

Luckily, here are some things that are also at the core of this book: space; sci-fi-y magic; cyborgs; fairytales; space-y, sci-fi-y magic-y, cyborg-y fairytales; moon people; moon people who are genetically modified; A
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Third Reread Review

To be honest, I nearly gave this book 3 stars. It’s just that the beginning of the book was kind of dull. I don’t know why but the interaction between Wolf and Scarlet was both sweet and boring. Lol. It contradicts one another, but that’s honestly how I felt. I am not saying Wolf and Scarlet were boring characters, which they weren’t. But they weren’t that fascinating either. The interaction between Cinder and Thorne was TRULY what I lived for. Lol. Thorne was chaotic and
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairy tales, sci-fi, and books made of awesome
11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
Final
Riley
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5
I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
-Scarlet/Wolf <3
-Cinder and Thorne's friendship
-Iko being a ship
-Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Beth
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 Stars

I liked Cinder, it wasn't anything magical or something that really stood out to me, it was just okay. However Scarlet the second book in The Lunar Chronicles has made me think again. I honestly really liked this book, I liked the new characters. I can't even decide between Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne because they al bring something different to the plot.

The building of the story progressed really well, I was curious as to how these two stories would entwine, but it was appar
Meyer S
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

MAN, THESE BOOKS ARE AWESOME.

I'm really loving The Lunar Chronicles so far !
The writing, the plots, the characters... everything about these books is EPIC basically .

I wrote a 5-star review a while back on Cinder (The first book) . And everything i said over there is completely relevant to Scarlet.

In this book, we are introduced to Scarlet( obviously ), as we follow her journey of looking for her grandmother who was missing.

What's really cool, is that we still get to follow Cinde
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I re read this on audio

I love Scarlet so much and of course, Wolf!

This is my wolf, not just a wolf man that he really looks like =)

I always wanted to be a werewolf when I grew up but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it ever will!

***SOME SPOILERS***

Scarlet has been looking for her grandma ma. Where is she? What is gong on? Well, I'm not going to tell you about that.

Scarlet helps her grandma run their farm, Benoit farms. Scarlet cruises around in her hovercraft thing dropping off veggies to
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
Zainab
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, retelling
Man, this just keeps getting better and better.

At first, I couldn't be bothered with Scarlet's story and had a mini heart attack when her story started because I thought Cinder's finished (idk man, I'm dumb)
Anyhoo, this book was way better than the first one. Sure I liked the first book but this had a lot more action, a lot more loveable characters *cough*Thorne*cough* and Scarlet was a straight up badass. I mean the girl carries a gun. Nuff said.
Oh and of course, Wolf was amazing.
This book is v
Bangadybangz
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
mxa ☂︎
"It would be easy to abuse a person when they never recognized it as abuse."

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise for those who have been following my progress updates on this but I enjoyed reading this a lot more than Cinder :')
Firstly, the characterization was what grabbed my attention from Cinder and I'm so glad that Marissa Meyer introduced even more characters for me to fall for in Scarlet. Her writing makes it tough not to feel a certain emotion for every single one of them. Secondly,
Helena of Eretz ✰
EVEN BETTER THAN THE LAST. Scarlet and Wolf are my new favourite ship and I love them so much!!! Also, I love Cinder and Thorne’s friendship!!!
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

Overview:

“I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first.”

I read Cinder almost a year ago, and was very underwhelmed. In fact, I didn’t really plan on continuing the series. Except bestie kept bugging me about it.

So I started this, a little reluctantly.

And then...

description

THIS WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CINDER. LIKE WHAT.

Pros:

By far my biggest problem with the first book was how predictable it was. Like we all could all pretty much guess what the
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I usually take a break between books in a series, not this time - I'm binge reading them.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, 2014
*4.5 STARS*
First read - 15th February 2014
Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
prag ♻
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm!! A!! Mess!! (scroll down to see why)

Exhibit #1) Flirting at Gunpoint:
“I will shoot, you know.”
“I know.” A flicker of kindness passed over him and he pointed at his temple. “You’ll want to aim for the head. That usually makes for a fatal shot. Or, if you’re feeling really shaky, the torso. It’s a larger target.”
“Your head looks pretty big from here.”
He laughed — the expression changing everything about him. His stance relaxed, his face warmed.
Not that I’m the worlds biggest expert o

• The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)