Start by marking “Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes” as Want to Read:
Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes

Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes

Combining reminiscences with more than sixty of her personal recipes, the acclaimed author of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings reflects on important moments of her life that centered around the dinner table and presents Minnesota wild rice, biscuit
Title: Hallelujah! the Welcome Table
Author: Angelou, Maya
Publisher: Random House Inc
Publication Date: 2004/09/01
Number of Pages:
Published September 21st 2004 by Random House (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hallelujah! The Welcome Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hallelujah! The Welcome Table

Betsy
May 11, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
A great audio book to enjoy while in your kitchen cooking. Themes: the way food connects us across cultures, oceans and economies and brings greater understanding. Appreciation of flavors that take time and patience, just as in relationships. Conversation and listening as art when invited to a table. Bon Appetit!
Katherine Bennett-wilson
Book Club Selection

This book was chosen by my book club The African-American Women's Book Club as a selection for the month of October. Since we have an open spot it as decided that we do pot luck following the recipes from this delightful book. Each member brought a dish & we had some of the best food along with a lively discussion of different women's health issues. I think we honored Maya simply by following her advice because each of the recipes has a story attached. It was a great night
Belinda
Feb 13, 2010 Belinda rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! I listened to the audiobook read by Dr. Angelou and I'm sure that added to my delight. This is a history of Dr. Angelou's life as it pertains to the eating and preparation of food. She has met so many interesting people and has gone to so many interesting places, I found myself engrossed by the sound her voice and her fantastic stories. She writes beautiful prose which sounds, amazingly enough, like poetry. I don't often write down a quotes from books, but this one is so ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 25, 2010 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I pick this book up every so often just because I love this woman so much. She is one of my personal heroes and I adore her. I think tomorrow night I'm making her fried meat pies.
Renee
What a delight this was, both as a break from heavier things and because she really did have a gift for making her life's stories feel familiar and welcoming. In her resonant and measured voice, she weaves together the stories of moments when food played particularly powerful roles in her experience. Listening to her read it was like going to church, in the best of ways. She understood viscerally what it means to keep body and soul together.
Misty
Dec 28, 2016 Misty rated it really liked it
I realized that I don't know enough about Maya Angelou. I loved these snippets of her life and the plethora of recipes accompanying her. Memories surrounded by food is so delightful. And most of the recipes seem simple enough for me to attempt.
Cecelia
Sep 22, 2014 Cecelia rated it it was amazing
I read a lot as a child and young adult (I brought stacks of books on weekend camping trips… #justsaying), but I mostly read from lists of “classics” until I went to college. Then, some modern (and by modern, I mean contemporary) American writers and poets crept into my consciousness via syllabi, regular newspaper reading, and the internet. Still, I’d never read one of Maya Angelou’s books until a couple of weeks ago. This despite having my interest in her history (and stories) rekindled when sh ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Apr 24, 2015 Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery, memoirs
For the working poor, food is important. One, because it keeps you going, and two, because it's how you make memories. Life revolves around the kitchen (often the warmest room in the house)--kids do their homework or do creative projects on the table. Mom cuts out clothing patterns on the table. "Company" may be put in the living room, but friends sit around the kitchen table with coffee or tea or whatever. Serious decisions are taken around the table, and problems and joys are shared right ther ...more
Judith
Jul 09, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing
Readers familiar with Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will find what may be the secret ingredient of her success in this collection of tear- and laughter-provoking memoirs with 73 savory recipes. Here's Angelou's grandmother's Chicken and Dumplings, Crackling Corn Bread and Caramel Cake. Big brother Bailey makes a mean batch of Smothered Pork Chops and knows how to stretch them for a week's worth of meals. Mother, who "cooked wonderful meals and was very poignant about how to present t ...more
Judy
Jan 18, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Maya Angelou is one of my favorite writers and every time that I see her at an author event or reading, I come away thinking that I wish that I had her power of language. This book is no exception. Angelou tells unconnected stories of her life which are only linked by the descriptions of the food that was made for or by her. The stories are uplifting and the food descriptions made me cancel my Jenny Craig program--oh, that's right, I don't have one of those, I just desperately need it. A short, ...more
Roberta
Mar 22, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it
This was the first library book I downloaded to my Kindle. Mostly I loved her stories! Angelou has had an interesting, colorful life, and she writes like a poet (which she is). I especially enjoyed her recounting the tale of the job she secured in a Cajun restaurant when she was 17 and didn't know how to cook, though she told her new boss quite a different story. Mr. Ford, an older gentleman working for her mother, mentored her, telling her the vegetables to throw into every dish--and don't forg ...more
Mary-Ellen Lynn
Sep 18, 2012 Mary-Ellen Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-cookbooks
I have to admit; even if I never used any of the recipes in the book, it would be so worth it for Maya's remembrances from her life --- saying that, some of the recipes look amazing and I have bookmarked quite a few pages!

This book is so accessible, not only because of the injection of Angelou's humour, but also because of the simplicity of the recipes. It is a book of good old home cooking - comfort food at that. This is not a book for the diet-conscious --- these are recipes from the day when
Laura Nadal
Oct 04, 2012 Laura Nadal rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I saw an interview with Maya Angelou on Oprah. She told the story of her 'Hurt-me-Banana-Pudding' and was telling how she wrote a cookbook, but that each recipe had a story. It is an unusual buy for me, because I can't eat any of the things in the book (severe food allergies and the such), but I love this book more then anything. Maya Angelou (on TV) struck me as a very feisty woman with a great deal of humor and that is what the book is like. Even if a story is sad, s ...more
Jennifer Canaveral
Dec 25, 2015 Jennifer Canaveral rated it it was amazing
I really lucked out when I found this gem at a church rummage sale for a quarter! I made the Meat Pies recently with shredded chicken and it was amazing. The biscuit dough in the pies (also provided in the book) is very versatile and I found myself using leftover dough for oven biscuits. Her fried chicken recipe topped off a delicious meal and soaking the chicken in lemon juice (as the recipe calls for) knocked my husbands socks off!

Maya provides a short story for the background of each dish an
Don (The Book Guy)
A delightful little book by the acclaimed Ms. Angelou. Each chapter is a story that has a food connection. Food has a wonderful way of bringing back memories of people and places. Whenever I read books like this I want to quit working, go home and clear out my kitchen of canned & frozen dinners and just stay home and cook. I did listen to this unabridged version of her book and listening to her read the stories was a delight as well. Her use of language shows the poet and I love that she use ...more
Olga
Jul 13, 2009 Olga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, especially those who love life and food
Recommended to Olga by: Carol Rowe, thanks Carol!
Shelves: 2007, south, cookbooks
Oh, this is a wonderful book.

The stories are great, each featuring at least one recipe, and the recipes follow the story. I don't think I can possible make all these recipes, but I did savor all stories. Even though I don't like caramel cake, the story about it is one of my favorites, and I now have a soft spot for a sweet dessert I will probably never taste!

The things I made from this book were all good, too, but I have to confess that I pick it up for reread just as often as I pick it up for
Luci
May 03, 2010 Luci rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The recipes are mouthwatering and the photos and stories of each dish bring them all to life. I tried two recipes the other night, smothered chicken and wilted lettuce. It took nearly three hours, but the dishes came out delicious! The recipes in the book are not the healthiest, but comfort food hardly ever is. After reading some of the bits and pieces of her life in this book, I knew I had to read the rest of her writing. I just started I Know Why The Caged Bird Si ...more
Ginnie Grant
Jun 06, 2014 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing
Food in many ways in universal langauge. A good meal can unite us, bridge barriers and live in our memories forever. Miss Angelou illustrates this point well in this book. I enjoyed reading her . memories, from her rural childhood to her meals with world famous dignatiries The recipes that followed were amazing too. Comfort food at it's finest. God rest you Maya, May the world know your light again in another light.
Valentine
Dec 30, 2013 Valentine rated it it was amazing
I loved the stories in this book. I loved what they said about every single recipe. Of all the things this author has written? This book is my fave. Yep. It's not a book you can finish because you just want to keep reading it. A chronicle of the author's life, through the thick and thin -- through the everything of it.
Carol
Apr 01, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
This book was not even close to what I thought it would be. Maya Angelou is a fascinating and one of the most widely talented people I've heard or read of. This book is narrated by her and she talks of her experiences learning to cook, who she's cooked for and who she had dined with. Again, a very inspiring lady. Learned a few cooking tips in the book too.
John
Dec 29, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Just a cook book, sure, but with revisiting it, I forgot all the sweet and funny stories that went with it. There are some really good ones, all short. I recall having the vegetarian dishes and also cold tomato soup. All very delicious.
Mar 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Love the stories behind all of her great and thoughtful dishes. Not for one watching their calorie or fat intake but super fun for special occasions and always a great story to tell with dinner (hers!).
Kelley
Sep 04, 2009 Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book! It is so much more than just another recipe book! The short stories within are very inspiring, and the recipe's are out of this world yummy! Anyone who loves to read and cook should give this book a whirl...you will not regret it.
Heather
Mar 23, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010-books
The essays were interesting, but the recipes were not particularly compelling. I don't think this book would have ever been published if it weren't written by Maya Angelou. Definitely not her best work.
Leticia
Feb 11, 2009 Leticia rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful book, which included a variety of recipes that Angelou publishes to recount life stories. It really makes you want to sit down and eat. There is a delicious recipe for caramel cake that will make your mouth water.
Renuka Soll
Mar 10, 2015 Renuka Soll rated it it was amazing
The book has each chapter devoted to a story about Maya Angelou's life and relevant recipes. She writes beautifully and it was a great read. I can't wait to try some of her recipes. She was known to be a great cook.
Little-g
Jun 29, 2010 Little-g rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I really liked this book. I love Angelou's voice anyway, but add to that stories that are about cooking and life around the table - from poverty to the high life - and I'm more than satisfied. I appreciate her humor and her honesty.
 Barb Bailey
Mar 22, 2009 Barb Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009
Maya's southern cooking recipes are paired with some of her own "life experience" stories. I think I liked her stories better than her recipes...she is one bright, creative and talented woman to be greatly admired.
Michele
Jul 16, 2011 Michele rated it it was amazing
I laughed and I learned from the wise and courageous Maya Angelou the Namesake of one of my children. I could hear her voice tell the stories and sharing these simple and delicious recipes southern and others. I'm encouraged to make Eclairs!! LoL.. So glad I found this. What a gift!
Evelyn Bryant
Oct 08, 2011 Evelyn Bryant rated it really liked it
Wonderful book of recipes of all sorts along with anecdotes by Maya Angelou regarding how she came to come across them. Good pictures of the recipes which I always feel are a must in a cookbook.
Excellent book since it appeals to the reader in more than one way.
  • You're Cookin' It Country: My Favorite Recipes and Memories
  • Monsoon Diary: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • Everything but the Coffee: Learning about America from Starbucks
  • Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes
  • Best Food Writing 2010
  • High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
  • The Senator and the Socialite: The True Story of America's First Black Dynasty
  • The Language of Baklava: A Memoir
  • Confessions of a French Baker: Breadmaking Secrets, Tips, and Recipes
  • Indian Takeaway: One Man's Attempt to Cook His Way Home
  • Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef
  • A Southern Exposure
  • Miracle on I-40
  • Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...