Start by marking “The Executioner's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Executioner's Daughter

The Executioner's Daughter

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A medieval executioner's daughter discovers that she can make choices about her own future, though the rewards may be equaled by the risks.

"All Lily could remember when she got to the hill was looking up at the distant gallows and the roar of the crowd around her. On the platform, a tall man looped nooses around the thieves' necks and pulled the ropes till the condemned hu
Published June 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Kristine
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
As title would imply, story about an executioner's daughter and the horrors of her life around 1450. This YA historical fiction book was a short and quick read, and left many unanswered questions. But overall a pretty good book with a brief account of the life of executioners and what their families endure.
Tia
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
There was nothing to this story. Everything that was mentioned in the summary happened, and that's it. It was very uneventful and not exciting at all. There was zero depth to the story.
Alexia
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

"All Lily could remember when she got to the hill was looking up at the distant gallows and the roar of the crowd around her." In this historical fiction, Lily, the protagonist, was born into an executioner's family. Her caring mother, Allyce, guarded her from the horrors of Will, the town executioner and her uncaring father. While Allyce accompanies Will with everyday duties, Lily would linger around the forest and collect and gather herbs for the family's apothecary. She would most likely ret
Christy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it

Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This novel was built upon the fact that during the Middle Ages, executioners and their families were shunned, forced to live outside the village walls and forbidden to attend church and social gatherings. Thirteen-year-old Lily, the fictional main character, is cursed from the moment she was born - her father is the village executioner. But because her mother is the one to assist her father in his duties, Lily keeps to herself in the forrest near their cottage, gathering herbs and healing wounde ...more
Donalyn
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls obsessed with the middle ages
Set in 1450, The Executioner's Daughter follows the life of a young girl, Lily, whose father is the town executioner.

Lily and her family are outcasts, they cannot attend church or travel about the town without harsh treatment from the townspeople. They are also healers who make medicines and comfort the sick. This duality causes conflict for Lily who knows that her destiny is to become her father's assistant some day.

The book was too short and ended just at the true story began in my opinion. St
Heather
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting but very short picture of what life was like for outcasts in the middle ages. The daughter of the town executioner is faced with the horror of what her father really does and she decides to escape the cycle that will doom her to take her mother's place helping him. Good, but a bit too brief.
Karie
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book lacked depth. Williams was going for a "slice of life" story, but I think that in aiming it at younger readers, she left out the internal motivations that move a character forward. And she quit the story too soon, as well as leaving the backstory too sparsely told. Definitely not a high-impact book, in spite of the high-impact title.
DemonKitty003
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Its been forever since I have read this book. I almost forgot since I read it, I cried. I felt good after I read this book, because of it being the only book I have ever completed when I was in middle school.

Kari
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lottt!! I loved learning about medieval times. I didnt like thinking about the way people died but i guess that is sorta the point of the book.(look @ the title haha) The author was extremely descriptive and i could really relate to Lily.
Emma
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
A decent quick read, considering there was only 130 pages for character development and plot. Decent characters and less than strong plot, but still interesting. Still annoying that there were so many unanswered questions at the end.
Renae
Fair. But I wanted more at the ending.
Monica
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
ok
Nance
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
liked it, well written
Johnny Bennett
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The Executioner's Daughter is a tough book to rate. While it was well written, it was dark. It certainly isn't going to win any awards for feel good book of the year.
Mallory
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was probably around 10 years old. I remember laying on my bed, reading, and crying. It was a very emotional book for me and, to me, that means it was a good book.
Aerin
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
well-written; not the level of Karen Cushman historic fiction, but definitely the same vein and worth checking out from the library for older elementary
Samantha
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, it feels so real, I will most likely read it again. Very sad, although, it's in a good way in some of the book.
Miguel Flavorite
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
really freaky (not in a good way)
Mindy pace
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is a very sad but visual story of a girl treated badly. the girl loves animals. this is by far my favorite book i am not sure why but it is a must read.
Haley
Oct 22, 2009 rated it liked it
It was really good, but to sad to read more than once. Read it if you are feeling sad.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The daughter should not have to suffer because her father chooses to do an unpleasant job. Takes place in England in 1450.
Audra Micklon
Dec 03, 2013
Shannon
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Rogues (Stuart Quartet, #4)
  • The Ever-After Bird
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • The President's Daughter
  • Little Audrey
  • Prairie Whispers
  • My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright: My History of the Second World War 1939-1945
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Lena
  • Chanda's Wars (Chanda, #2)
  • A Rose for Virtue