Start by marking “I Am Intelligent: From Heartbreak to Healing--A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Autism” as Want to Read:

A riveting memoir of extreme loss and unimaginable gain, this book recounts the story of a child who, although unable to express herself, lives fully aware of her limiting circumstances. Robbed of speech and bodily control, and despite her loving parents' best efforts to help her, Peyton Goddard suffered neglect and ongoing abuse by many who dismissed her as autistic and ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Skirt!

To ask other readers questions about I Am Intelligent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Intelligent

Start your review of I Am Intelligent: From Heartbreak to Healing--A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Autism
Victoria
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"I am intelligent" by Peyton Goddard and Dianne Goddard is a book about Payton's life as an autistic girl. Peyton’s inability to communicate verbally or control her body led to continual misdiagnoses and segregation from education and society. Through out the book, her mother, Dianne also talks about the challenges that Autism brings to the family. Peyton was diagnosed with mental retardation, movement disorders, anxiety disorders, Autism, ADHD, epileptic aphasia, bipolar disorder, etc. By the ...more
Debra Lloyd
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a special educator who has worked with students with autism and the resulting communication disorders, I found this book to be a very real account of what it can be like to live with a child with severe autism. This account details the parents struggle to obtain an appropriate educational setting for their daughter and how Facilitated Communication gave their daughter a voice. While I have read both good and bad things about FC, it appears to have worked in this situation. Ultimately, this is ...more
Danielle Lucas
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Facilitated communication is not backed by any credible or reliable research. Is it not an effective or true way for a person with autism to communicate and I did not believe that any statements made by Peyton were her true spontaneous utterances.
Michaela Clay
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
WARNING, this book does contain pieces that may be triggering to others such as ASSAULT, ABUSE, MOLESTATION AND RAPE.

I picked up this book because I read the back and saw how it covered the struggles of a mother, an autistic daughter named Peyton and a community in search of the best treatment for her Autism. This true story takes place from the 70s to early 2000s where Autism was mostly unheard of and thus more difficult to treat.

I was intrigued when it said that Peyton’s the first Autistic
Michelle
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bio-memoir
This book is an incredible memoir written by an autistic inclusion activist. For years she was trapped inside her own mind, fully cognizant and aware of the world around her and things happening to her, but unable to express herself in any way other than violent outbursts. Doctors and caregivers wrote her off time and again as someone who needed to be institutionalized for her life, unreachable and untreatable. Her mother never gave up, and finally she found a doctor who helped bridge the gap of ...more
Alia
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was, as the title suggests, absolutely heartbreaking. I wish I remembered who originally recommended this book to me, because I would love to talk to them about this. I think it's a must-read for anyone who works with children with any type of disability or children in special education.
Rachael
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
powerful, heartbreaking, relevant. everyone should read this book.
Don O'goodreader
What is the relationship between mind and body ... between intelligence and communication? Consider Steven Hawkings, Dolphins, and Peyton Goddard. Peyton Goddard can not control her body (like Steven Hawkings) and cannot speak (like a dolphin); i am intelligent is her memoir.

On the one level, this book is a condemnation of the worst and a showcase for the best in special education. On another level, it is about the dedication and challenges of parents.

However, it also raises such important
Tiffany Feret
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Iamshadow
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want accounts from nonspeaking autists who use alternate communication
This was really interesting in that the broader story was structured like a parental account but it was peppered with Peyton's own words and observations and experiences. So you had the mother's quest to cure her daughter and integrate her into the community counterpointed with what it was actually like for Peyton. This is a great alternative to the typical structure of relegating the autist's account to an essay or Q&A at the back of the book, as in News From the Border or Reasonable ...more
Mary-Ellen
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing journey! This book shares a young women's life with autism. It is heartbreaking, heartwarming, and a call to action. For those who doubt facilitated communication, it is a very dramatic tale of how it opened the door for an intelligent woman with no means of communication to a life of commitment and action. Very powerful!!
R.L. Mosz
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real education for anyone working with special needs children. I highly recommend it. I'm grateful to the authors for writing the book and imparting their wisdom to the rest of us. It made me cry and changed the way I think.
Lora Slevin
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book gave me pause to think about individuals who do not communicate verbally but have so very, very much stored inside of them. Peyton Goddard shares how Facilitated Communication and full inclusion opportunities changed her life.
Audrey
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A touching look at a family's journey through autism, especially sad since Peyton was going through school in the 1990s before there was better inclusion in place. Inspiring in tenacity of both mother and daughter.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a great book to read if you are interested in using facilitated communication with your special needs child.
Susie Johnson
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book that will blow you away!I am a slow reader and it took me one week to finish.
Christal
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
fascinating book about a very intelligent girl with autism and her parents never giving up to help her learn.
Joeclapp
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sad but necessary. What I thought I knew about autism was only skimming the surface. A must read for educators and people in general.
Cindy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The incredible story of an amazing woman--judged as a young child to be incompetent and ignorant (It was recommended she be institutionalized.), abused in every way, yet triumphant when once she is enabled to communicate. Not an easy read, but definitely inspiring! (The tenacity of the parents is likewise incredible.)
Erin
Dec 18, 2013
T Blue
Oct 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • The Perfect Block (Jessie Hunt #2)
  • Fierce Intimacy: Standing Up to One Another with Love
  • Nobody Nowhere: The Extraordinary Autobiography of an Autistic Girl
  • The Call of the Wild and Free: Schooling That Reclaims the Wonder of Childhood
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • What Witches Don't Want Christians to Know
  • How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine
  • The Continuous Conversion
  • Carried: How One Mother's Trust in God Helped Her Through the Unthinkable
  • Seven at Sea: Why a New York City Family Cast Off Convention for a Life-Changing Year on a Sailboat
  • The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Half an Inch of Water