Start by marking “A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
       In one of the most optimistic books to come out of Washington during these trying times, Congressman Tim Ryan presents us with an inspiring and hopeful view of our country’s future—and a roadmap for how to get there. Across America, people are feeling squeezed, exhausted, and running faster and faster while falling farther behind. The economy continues to struggle, ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Hay House (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Mindful Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mindful Nation

Diane Kistner
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Today's quotation from Goodreads is from Leo Tolstoy: "If, then, I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to be the most useful to the men of our century, I should simply say: in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you."

Mindfulness. The idea, and the research proving, that this practice can be of enormous value to the health and well being of individuals and communities is not new. Forty years ago in the U.S., it was transcendental
Angelique
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best non-fiction books I've read in a long time. Being a mindfulness follower myself and knowing what it does for me personally actually makes it really hard to convince others of the science behind the practice. Tim Ryan gives us the scientific and experiential studies that have proven that mindfulness can help our nation in education, our military and first responders, in inner-cities and in politics where instead of lashing out against one another, we should be reaching out ...more
Alain Burrese
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought “A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit” by Congressman Tim Ryan with a forward by Jon Kabat-Zinn did a good job of telling why mindfulness and how mindfulness can help people in many areas of their lives, thus also helping the entire country. However, there is not that much in the book that shows you how to be more mindful. (The book does though, contain some great resources that will do just that.)

I lo
Vishvapani
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tim Ryan's book surveys the areas of society where mindfulness can help. Actually, that should read 'American' society as Ryan is a Congressman with an eye to the needs of the people he represents, their turn of mind and also to policy opportunities. Some of it reads like a stump speech: the sort of West Wing rhetoric about America's destiny that doesn't travel well. It is personal and anecdotal, presenting not research but encounters with scientists and practitioners that, in fact, offer a usef ...more
Bookworm
Mixed feelings about the book. I was intrigued by the idea of a US Congressman writing about mindfulness and how he would go about it. Overall this is really more about how mindfulness can apply in different areas: the economy, first responders and the military, education, etc. I felt overall it got really repetitive where he talks about how people can use mindfulness in their everyday lives.

He has tips at the end of each chapter discussing what someone can do and how they can apply mindfulness
Denise
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brillant!! A must read for all!
Maria Ciletti
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much. Very interesting subject.
Chris Craddock
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I am interested in the mindfulness movement and am trying it out myself.
Samantha York
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been reading so much on mindfulness lately that I wasn't particularly interested in this book when I picked it up - and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to those who are already fairly well-versed in the practice and neuroscience of mindfulness.

This book is, however, PERFECT as a primer and broad overview/introduction to the idea from a very pragmatic, utilitarian, and still hopeful stance. Also contains some wonderful suggestions for bringing mindful practices into your life and
Robin Friedman
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Congressman Discusses Mindfulness

For many years, I have been studying Buddhism and attempting, with varied degrees of success, to practice meditation. In studying mindfulness meditation, I am in the company of many Americans from a variety of backgrounds, religious persuasions, and walks of life. There is a large and expanding literature on meditation, including this new book "Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spiri
Irene Cohen
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am part of the Hay House Book Nook blogger community and as such am sent books free of charge and am asked if I would like to review them. I choose the books I want to read.

“A Mindful Nation” by Congressman Tim Ryan is a thoughtful book about how the practice of mindfulness may be able to help individuals and the nation as a whole. I was interested in reading this book because it encompasses two subjects I am keenly interested in: meditation and politics. Congressman Ryan seems to
Philski
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick one-day read. While I am a big proponent of mindfulness and its applications I have a hard time determining to whom I could recommend this book. If you want to learn about the science, I highly recommend "The Mindful Brain" by Dr. Siegel. If you are interested in studies on mindfulness, "Mindfulness" by Ellen J. Langer. If you are interested in philosophy and application, "The Miracle of Mindfulness" Thích Nhất Hạnh. If you are interested in application to depression, "The Mindful Way thro ...more
Tommy
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book gets a little more credit from me for being written by a sitting politician and actually being thoughtful and reflective. I feel like politicians tend to be magnanimous during their careers and more reflective when they leave elected office (think of the Clinton global initiative or George W's new found love of painting). But surprisingly this book is just about how we could all improve the quality of our lives by mindfulness.

All of this is not to say that he doesn't get sales-y at tim
Jessica
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It was not riveting or exciting to read but it had a very strong message. The references and examples were real and very easy to relate to. I enjoyed reading the real life stories from Tim Ryan, but what I really enjoyed was that he actually gave the last section of the book to someone who could "tell" us how to begin being mindful every day. Simple, easy instructions that anyone and everyone can do.
He also gave recommendations of where else we can go to learn more about be
Doug Della pietra
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tim Ryan's personal experience of mindfulness and his exquisite description of the growing evidence-base placing mindfulness at a key fulcrum in helping our nation's greatest values thrive was engaging, inspiring and motivating! From education to health care to the military to our economy, Ryan connects the dots for his readers as to how mindfulness can make a significant difference, reduce costs, improve health and save lives, strengthen personal, corporate and national performance, etc.

Ryan's
Ryan Haczynski
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A spectacular little book by Congressman Tim Ryan that advocates bringing mindfulness practices mainstream, especially in the areas of education, health, and military. Ryan seamlessly weaves together scientific evidence, compelling personal narratives, along with his own first-person experiences with mindfulness and the benefits associated with its practice. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is seeking to bring mindfulness into the aforementioned fields or anyone with a passing, g ...more
Aja
I liked the topic and the content, but the delivery was less than appealing - clearly written by a politician. I was impressed that he was able to write an entire book about mindfulness without ever mentioning Buddhism. This is a smart way of getting people to listen who might have shut down with the B-word. A lot of good ideas and interesting research if you are just coming to the idea of mindfulness.
John
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
To be fair as an educator I have read many articles and several books that Mr. Ryan refers to in his research on this book. So knowing much of what he was going to talk about I found it refreshing to know that a state legislator is actually trying to figure out what the 21st Century school, military base, hospital, and government building should look like. Now if he can get his colleagues on board its a go.
Timothy Simpson
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before I read the book I already give it a 5 star simply because of the fact that at least somebody in Washington D.C. is trying to push forward the cause of sanity. A book about mindfulness doesn't have to be long, it is a really simple concept and one that must be adopted world wide, and having a politician try to go about things in a sane manner is probably the most positive message I have heard out of Washington in decades.
Barbara
This book introduces the reader to the positive effects from the daily practice of mindfulness. The author explores the ramifications this practice has had when implemented in schools, health care and the military. Although it does not teach one the techniques of mindfulness, he does provide some practices.
Shorewalker
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clearly one of the most important books written in this decade. Should be required reading for ALL politicians as well as every concerned voting citizen. I join in Congressman Ryan's wish that we become a more compassionate and mindful society - staying the course will result in a fall from which we cannot recover.
I would vote for this gentlemen for President any day.
Noreen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mindfulness
I gave this 4 stars because I think it's awesome that a congressman would take time out of his day to meditate and do yoga! He encourages all of our businesses and institutions to set aside quiet, reflective, or meditative time to refresh, relax and restore us, which would produce many positive results for our country.
Noah
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
An inspirational book about teaching mindfulness/meditation as a means of helping America. Congressman Ryan is an exuberant optimist who has seen great benefits through his own discovery and practice of meditation. The book is a bit scattered at the end and has too many anecdotal stories about people doing various research but in general, an interesting read.
Paul
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting but it was a slow read.
Judi
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, spiritual, 2017
Very inspirational and uplifting. Needed more in 2017 than when Mr. Ryan wrote it, I think.
Sue
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Worthwhile idea to bring mindfulness to education, military/law enforcement, and particularly politics. Oh that we could...and soon!
Sherry
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audiobook. It is good to know we have people with integrity in high places working to make our country a better place. It would be a better nation if it was a mindful nation.
Leparnell
May 16, 2017
Jan 10, 2015
Mary Ellen
Apr 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
  • American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West
  • May I Be Happy: A Memoir of Love, Yoga, and Changing My Mind
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Path of Individual Liberation (The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, #1)
  • The Long Thaw: How Humans Are Changing the Next 100,000 Years of Earth's Climate (Science Essentials)
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Spiritual Wisdom from the Science of Change
  • The Cause: The Fight for American Liberalism from Franklin Roosevelt to Barack Obama
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Stories at the Heart of the Yoga Tradition
  • The World Is Made of Stories
  • But Will the Planet Notice?: How Smart Economics Can Save the World
  • Deep Ecology for the Twenty-First Century
  • The Lost Art of Walking: The History, Science, and Literature of Pedestrianism
  • The Future of Work: How the New Order of Business Will Shape Your Organization, Your Management Style, and Your Life
  • Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What