Start by marking “Casting Off (Wool, #3)” as Want to Read:
Casting Off (Wool, #3)

Casting Off

(Wool #3)

The silo has appointed a new sheriff. Her name is Juliette, and she comes not from the shadows of deputies, but from the depths of the down deep.

But what does being a mechanic have to do with upholding the law? And how will she be able to concentrate on the silo's future when she is surrounded by the ghosts of its past?

Before she can even settle in, the whirring gears of
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 122 pages
Published December 4th 2011 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Casting Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casting Off

Start your review of Casting Off (Wool, #3)
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, 5-star
Amazing, freaking amazing. Now that all that world building is out of the way, the author can focus on the plot. And what a plot it is, there's mystery brewing in the silos, suspicion of a greater force at work causing a line of deaths that constantly keep happening..

Great commendations for Hugh Howey's work, a short, concise, lyrical masterpiece. Even the most mundane parts of everyday life is painted beautifully, placing you right there in the desolate life of being trapped in a silo. Each of
Caro the Helmet Lady
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: s-f, 2016-reads
Nothing ever changes. IT guys are evil!
The story just hit its best, can't wait to read the rest.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Wool : The Circle of Life at Warp-Speed.

Wool : Where Knowing is NOT Half the Battle

Wool : Ignorance Really is Bliss

Wool : Proving That You're Never as Smart as You Think You Are

Not only have my questions gone unanswered, but now I have new questions. Thanks Mr. Howey, I appreciate it. I don't even know if that's sarcasm coming out or not.

This series of shorts is one big mind trip. I have no idea how so much is packed into so little space; it's quite crazy. But come ON - is anyone going to catch
David Sven
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
And the plot thickens in this 3rd book of the Wool Omnibus as Juliette suspects foul play in the latest deaths in the Silo. Things just aren't adding up and IT seems to be at the heart of it.

Fantastic tension and suspense and a pretty amazing revelation at the end. Howey continues with his knitting terminology in the titles. In knitting, "casting off" is where you tie of the loose ends when you've finished your knitting session so that the creation you are working on doesn't unravel.
Nataliya
As the story expands, the world of Wool gets more fleshed out and more fascinating. I love Juliette; it is very nice to see a well-written female character by a male author (it happens way less often than I'd like). The writing is crisp. The atmosphere in the silo is bleak and suffocating, the tension is palpable, and the suspense builds up constantly. The pacing is great, and the action picks up nicely from the previous installment. The tone is quite different from the first novella, the one ...more
J.R.
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Wool series keeps getting better and better, with this installment bringing the series into full five star range. Three books in, there is only so much you can say in a review at this point... the people who like the series will continue to like the series and the people who haven't read the series will go check out the reviews for #1/#2. Suffice it to say, this is my favorite book in the series thus far and I eagerly started in on Wool 4 the next day without skipping a beat. In general, ...more
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
How 'Casting Off' went for me.

I am loving this. LOVING!!!!

My biggest issue is that I'm listening to this while walking so therefore I'm doing all the above in public. Plus side to this is that people are actively avoiding my space while I walk so, SCORE!!

Minnie Goode the narrator is just fucking awesome and I can't recommend the audio enough. The voices are totally distinguishable, once I got used to the 'voice acting' it just started getting better and better. She is currently narrating
Peter Cawdron
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it, especially the ending...

Wool is science fiction in the human sense, asking "what if?" a small colony survived for hundreds of years beyond some unimaginable Armageddon, isolated underground in a silo? What rules for life would they need to maintain? What challenges would they face from the past? What new social controls would there be to maintain order and keep people in place? And how would the natural effervescent of mankind rise up against that?
Daiva
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
If someone asked me to describe 'Casting off' or whole series (so far) I would not know where to begin. So that's why I think this quote (from this particular part) can explain it for me:

It would be like telling someone what sex felt like, or an orgasm. Impossible. But once you felt it yourself, you could then imagine varying degrees of this new sensation.

In other words, you need to read it yourself. And let's just say... if the story pulls you in, there's no backing out.
Jason
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
5 Stars

This was probably my favorite book in the series. In this third novel, our real main hero is finally fleshed out. She is an amazing, strong, and smart woman named Juliette. She is a Mechanic / Sheriff / Mechanic ... and more. Her dedication to the workings of the machines of the Silo, and thus the people of the Silo make her a natural star.

I loved how her story quickly spirals into chaos. With it we are given more back story, additional characters, and possibly some romance too. The
Kay
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocadystopia, sci-fi
As with all other Wools before this, the narrative was engaging, the world building was evocative, and the plotting was deliberate. Nothing felt forced or contrived. Also, as with the previous Wools, the tone of this novella was unique. The language was more direct and deliberate, compared to the Wool 1's haunted feel or Wool 2's more reflective tone.

My only criticism is that I didn't connect with the main character as much as I did in the two previous books. Despite her hard working nature, I
Cass
This book nailed it. It could (almost) stand alone as a book. The last few lines are enough to make it a classic in my view. Brilliant.

... It still has a stupid name.
Amie's Book Reviews
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Howey is one of the elite authors whose work sticks with you for many, many years after the final page. In fact, this is a book that I have read and reread many times, I even have the Wool and Silo series on Audiobook.

With a style that seems to peer into the very hearts and minds of his characters, Hugh Howey is a Master-Storygv CFG fccç FFR tt3w at
Kaila
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Now this gets back into what I loved about Wool 1. We start off knowing how it is going to end, and just like in the first book, I simply had to know what was going to happen. We learn more about the insidious IT department after a whirlwind investigation that leaves us with another cleaning imminent. The last line has assured that I will be a FAN4LYFE and I can hardly wait to pick up Wool 4 to see what happens. Don't stop after Wool 2 (which I didn't like too much), this one is way better!

Am I
Myndi
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It becomes obvious in this volume that the distrust I felt for IT in book 2 was warranted. In the sadness and the confusion of moving past the events of book 2, it's clear that something is desperately wrong with the world that these people are living in and who they put their faith in. Juliette is justifiably suspicious after events take place that should not have happened. Rather than be further vague in the efforts of avoiding a spoiler, I will just say this series is proving itself to be ...more
Chelle
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the knitting metaphors in the titles, by the way. In knitting, you really don't know how a project has turned out until you cast off and can hold it up free of the needles.

With each installment of Wool, a character (or two) are cast off, and a character or two are picked up and carried along. It's taking shape, the patterns are flowing. Even though it seems a short distance between a character's introduction and their eventual demise, I feel a pang of grief at their passing. And move on to
Igor
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Wool 3 puts us back in action after somehow slow and more describing Wool 2. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the first one, starts a bit slower as we get to know how Jules handling her new sheriff role but then we are getting back to where Allison and Holsten have been, finding out whats happening.
Wool 1 gave us some answers (at the end) but Wool 3 elaborates it just a bit more to keeps us on our toes... do you wanna see how deep the rabbit-hole goes?
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
The Wool Omnibus may end up being one of the classics of science fiction. I started this then left it behind. The end of Wool 3 is beautiful, heartbreaking and amazing.
Laura Clark
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story really picks up in this one, revealing just enough to keep you wanting more. As with the first book, I am left with so many questions. I'm looking forward to the next book!
Chris
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-to-read
I can't stop reading!
Christina
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can't seem to put this series down! So good.
Sam
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
First off I hate to give bad reviews but this isnt really a bad book just an OK one. So here goes with no spoilers I promise. I was in the middle of book 3. When I asked myself do these characters ever get any depth before they die? Are the most basic, obvious motivations all the bad guys can muster? Or has the silo somehow bred out any intelligence and suspicion? I can now answer that question. Nope what you read is what you get.

Book 3 was aptly named casting off because that is exactly what I
CS
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Another WOOL novella, another pastiche of dystopian tropes sprinkled liberally with the hackneyed cliches from generic procedural TV series.

Here's all the plot action in a nutshell:

Juliette takes over as Sheriff.

Juliette sticks her pretty little nose where it doesn't belong.

Juliette meets cute a boy in the cafeteria. And not just any boy: one who conveniently works in IT and just happens to chart stars. Aw, talk about your heavy handed star-crossed lovers' reference.

Juliette gets fired by
Siobhan
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Howey writes his stories in such a way that you either buy many little sections to make up the whole book or (you do what I do) you wait until the entire collection is possible in book format. There is nothing wrong with this, I merely find it difficult to review each individual section as, for me, the whole is worth more than the parts.

So, with that in mind, here is a review of the collective for you (so you can make a decision about whether the Wool trilogy is right for you):

I wasnt quite
Nathan
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Each book brings a freshness to the story. It's weird how well this is done. It's not just the view and voice, but there is a natural, almost logical flow of genres as well.

Some of that kind of detail comes up later in the series. There _should_ be a "logical" flow of genres. That actually plays out as a plot point in a very meta-compositional way.

This book is a murder mystery book. It's still the same sci-fi, dystopian work that the previous books were, so the murder mystery has the oppressive
Chip
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK - the rubber meets the road here. From the beginning of this episode I had a hunch as to what was going to happen and even though the ending of the episode vindicated my beliefs, it did so in a way that has left me wanting more. I have a feeling that the next few books in the series are really going to pick up.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have the next book to read. I'm a bit afraid now though, is the series done yet? Or, am I going to race ahead and suddenly come to a screeching halt on a
rameau
So this is why serialised fiction sells on Amazon. I'm sorry but it's not working for me.

After the first one, these two novellas (that I got when they were free last year) feel like overly long chapters of a longer story. Howey might have done better plotting and writing a full length novel after the first story than keep adding these short stories and later slapping them together into incomplete omnibus packets.
Marion
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved It! Did you get a Kindle for the holidays? Or if not, a Kindle app will do. Read the first pages of the Wool series on Amazon. I did and was instantly hooked. I downloaded Wool 4, but have yet to start it. Just like a fine wine I am saving it for the right occasion. Because I know once I start it there will be no putting the Kindle down until I savor every last drop!
Amy
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Really, 3-1/2 stars. This one had more excitement and elicited more feelings than the previous installments. While I still don't understand why Juliette had daddy issues, she was an interesting character. The story angered me often but also had a lot of heart. The beginning was a huge shock. The ending was fabulous.
Gertie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the series. In this one we get to know Juliette a bit better, as she begins to unravel some mysteries of the silo, and the machinations of its inhabitants.

This one ends on a forehead slapping jaw-dropping cliffhanger (which is why I have to stop writing now so I can go start reading #4).
Madison Mega-Mara...: #68 Wool #3 (Casting Off) by Hugh Howey 1 2 May 31, 2015 09:00AM
The Sword and Laser: Wool: Discuss Book 3: Casting Off 40 245 May 26, 2013 11:31AM

• Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • Blind Willie
  • Going Dark (Silo 49, #1)
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • Waarom zeggen we eh…?
  • To Have It All
  • The Dark Tower Series: The Gunslinger, the Drawing of the Three, the Waste Lands
  • Good Job, Little Bear
  • What a Team! (Mr. Badger and Mrs. Fox #3)
  • Blackbird Rising (The Witch King's Crown #1)
  • The Game Players of Meridien: Chronicles of the Second Empire (Chronicles of the Second Interstellar Empire of Mankind Book 1)
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee
  • Magpie (Forbidden Desires Spin-Off #2)
  • Tallowwood - Deleted Scene (Tallowwood, #1.1)
  • Wool #6 (of 6)
  • File N°1743 (Themis Files, #2.5)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified

Wool (5 books)
  • Wool (Wool, #1)
  • Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)
  • The Unraveling (Wool, #4)
  • The Stranded (Wool, #5)

News & Interviews

“She rubbed the charcoal letters with her fingers, transferring some of her friends' black thoughts to herself.” 4 likes
“He was an easy man to figure, one of those who had grown old everywhere but in his heart, that one organ he had never worn out because he’d never dared to use it.” 3 likes