Start by marking “Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness” as Want to Read:
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  23,468 Ratings  ·  1,806 Reviews
For nearly two decades, Scott Jurek has been a dominant force—and darling—in the grueling and growing sport of ultrarunning. Until recently he held the American 24-hour record and he was one of the elite runners profiled in the runaway bestseller Born to Run.

In Eat and Run, Jurek opens up about his life and career as a champion athlete with a plant-based diet and inspires
Published June 5th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eat and Run, please sign up.

Christopher  Ryan
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a longtime admirer of Scott Jurek, both for his athleticism and veganism, and was really looking forward to this book.

Within two pages, however, I was shocked at its simplistic, childish tone and oddly terse sentences. EAT AND RUN is, at times, more difficult to read than a sophisticated piece of literature. It isn't condescending, but comes across as naive and underwritten. I'm not sure if this was his voice or the ghost-writer's, but it was an odd decision. (While I don't know Scott, I on
La Petite Américaine
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: auto-bios-etc, sucked
And now a summary of this book.

"I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan. I'm Scott Jurek. I am so great. I'm vegan."

Look. I like Scott Jurek. We all do. He's a great runner and he just seems like a really nice guy. But you'll need the willpower of an ultra marathoner to get throug
Christina
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I couldn't decide at first whether to give this book a 2 for its self-absorbed, sticky-sweet, are-you-for-real passages or a 5 for the moments of comedy and enjoyment my kids and I had in reading those same passages to each other. I settled on a 3.

This guy can run. He can run long distances (100 miles, anyone?) and he can win at those distances. And I totally respect him for that. I just wish he could consistently describe those races without the grand-standing and self-congratulatory tone.

Other
Scott Bischke
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this book shortly after completing BORN TO RUN, being inspired by the latter and intrigued with ultra-marathoning, the ultra-marathoning life, and Scott Jurcek. Loved reading about his exploits in any of a hundred races, the crazy pain these folks put themselves through. And also greatly enjoyed the way the book talked of nutrition as the basis of his incredible physical feats. Only a tiny downgrade for some self aggrandizing, though given the premise of the book being reviewing his stellar ...more
Martin Rowe
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a marathon runner and I'm a vegan, so I've a soft spot for Scott Jurek. I've seen him speak twice in person and he seems like a nice guy, and his memoir hasn't changed my opinion of him. He's made an enormous contribution to distance running, and shown that you can be a world champion on a vegan diet! He doesn't shy away from the "v" word, but he doesn't talk much about animal welfare (he initially became a vegan for health and environmental reasons).

I hadn't realized that Scott had grown up
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in this book though maybe it is my own fault. I wanted to learn about ultras and was very curious about his diet but the book felt flat to me. Jurek seems very invested in this dual narrative that he is just an ordinary person who has a stronger will than everyone else and that he achieves because he lives so outside the mainstream.

He was awfully sneery about the modern lifestyle considering this lifestyle is what allows his to exist.

I enjoyed hearing about Dusty and th
Donna
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is nonfiction and an autobiography of Scott Jurek, an ultramarathon runner. I loved this. I had
no idea who he was; the running is what drew me in. He had a hard childhood that had him taking care of his mom and younger siblings. He grew up fast and learned to focus and succeed. He carried that over into his running. He was very impressionable and I like how certain events made such an impact in his life. I also liked how he was so determined to be the best and to do the best he could.

He m
Corey
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing is very subpar, but the recipes have been really good so far. The lentil burgers are time-intensive but fantastic and you can make a ton of them at once and freeze them forever. They taste good not even cooked, just eat them raw or whatever.
The book itself is really strange, you can tell that there is a whole lot of information missing (like how we only hear about all of the "amaaaazing" runs he has where he wins the race, but we never hear about the races he doesn't finish). I remem
Sara
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A truly engaging and inspiring read. This was more than just a book on eating and running, this was a book on life. On living life free, fun and fast. On living life as kind and as open as you can while chasing the high of the run. Ultramarathoners are unique individuals and I am in awe of Scott's determination and perseverance to finish.

As a runner and a vegan myself, this spoke to me on those basic levels but this again was so much more. Scott's story from early childhood and his first race s
J.R. Newell
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Before I read this book, I had never heard of Scott Jurek. I checked it out of the library based on an article I had read in a running magazine and thought the premise sounded interesting. And it was -- but the writing was not. The book did not flow well at all. While what Scott Jurek as accomplished as an ultramarathon runner is AMAZING, he doesn't know how to craft his rather rough childhood into an interesting and compelling story that could inspire others. He didn't touch on how he balanced ...more
Shankar
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My rating is biased as I idolise long distance runners. And none better than Scott Jurek. A very motivational book and high on adrenaline.
Jon
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jurek not only runs ultra marathons, he wins them--repeatedly. Does that mean he should write a book. Yes. Absolutely. Get it all out on paper, get it published, make some money. You earned it.

Now, do you want to read this? Let's do this old school:

[page 17]
You're jogging along in mile 42 in an ultramarathon and hobo standing on top of a cactus offers you a drink out of a caldron full of laundry. He has a chicken on his shoulder and points to a calendar floating in the air. On the 23rd of Fig Ne
C.E. G
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fun-nonfiction
Reading this book is like getting stuck in a one-sided conversation with the most boring dude at the party. In this particular case, the offender is an ultra-marathoner who's discovered the miracles of a vegan diet. As much as I love veganism and running, turns out I can't stand the person who's most famous for living/promoting the two.

I'm actually too irritated about the time I wasted with this book to give it a lengthy review. I can't even make the vegan recipes in it because he uses such expe
Riannon
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really could relate to Scott Jurek, when he wrote about running for the love of running, with childlike joy at the experience. I've never run an ultra, but have completed 2 full marathons and 16 halfs. The way he wrote about running was inspiring. I could almost imagine that I was running while reading this book, and I did run quite a few more miles than usual this week, which I attribute to this book. It was nice to get a few recipes as well, some of which I plan on trying out.

My only letdow
Maria
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
20130327 ◊ I've been a fan of Scott Jurek for many years, so I was pretty excited when this book came out. It's a great story: well-written, courageous, very inspiring. My only issues with it were the descriptions of overt sexism present during some of his competitive runs. Honestly, that's the only reason why I didn't give this book five stars. As a female runner, listening to this book while out running, it was a huge slap in the face to hear some of the degrading insults offered up as "encour ...more
Vassilena Valchanova
Значи, Скот Юрек е много як, но 1) книгата за 100 страници не стана достатъчно интересна; 2) Юрек е твърде preachy на тема "Асамвеган". Първото беше причината, но второто е поводът да захвърля четивото на средата. На 140-160 км на седмица и бързо увеличаване на тренировките да ми обясняваш "свалих мазнини и направих мускули САМО заради веганската диета" е просто несериозно.
Amory Skaggs
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a classic memoir so you won't walk away with much new besides some good running tips and wfpb recipes. But the sheer determination and will to run an ultra over and over is quite inspiring.
Devin
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, after writing my entire review, I accidentally managed to refresh my page, losing the entire thing. At the time being, I'm going to keep it short.

This is not my first time reading this memoir, and when I first read it two years ago, it had a positive impact on me. As a previous runner and as a vegetarian, hearing Jurek's side of life managed to transform me into an ultramarathoner as well as a vegan.

Some may see Jurek's work as braggadocios, whether talking about the detriments of the curre
Owen
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I had recently re-read Born to Run and I thought I give this book a try. I listened to it on CD and didn't like it as much as BTR.

First - Scott Jurek is an amazing athlete, no doubt about that. I wanted to like this book, but found it just okay. Yes, I am glad I read it. Yes, he is a great athlete. But there were things that bothered me.

You hear a lot about him getting hurt and continuing to run the last XX miles to win. This reinforces the notion that he is a great runner and could endure pain.
Диляна Георгиева
Вдъхновяващ! Това е най-точната ми дума за Скот Юрек.
"Яж и тичай" отправя глас до голяма степен към бегачите, не по-малко към веганите, но със същия успех и към всеки човек. Скот Юрек е човек, който няма как да не те запали и да предизвика искрата у теб, че можеш да преодолееш всичко, да пребориш тялото си и дори когато се изтощиш, пак да продължиш. Книгата е изпълнена с полезни съвети за бегачите и интересни (макар и понякога леко претенциозни) вегански рецепти. Освен разказите за многобройнит
Krishna Kumaar
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Motivating book. How and why to set goals and how to overcome it inspite of the losses.

I have goal set now after reading this book. Better my half marathon pace by atleast 30s per mile.

Also I had plans to participate in stages ultras. After reading this, I decided they are not as challenging as single stage 50M+ races. It might be individual preference. However I think that makes sense and I am not going to do that. Qualify for Western states in next 2 years.

I was a weekday vegetarian and gave
Sharon Roy
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am all about running these days, and this book, written by an amazing and successful ultra marathoner who is also a vegan who does yoga and practices Tao Buddhism, is pure inspiration. The book is structured by a series of vignettes about Scott's early life and from is running career. Each story provides a glimpse into the physical, psychological, and spiritual elements of Scott's development as a runner and as a person. Each story is followed up with a bit of sage advice for inspiring runners ...more
Jabiz Raisdana
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, running
This book wasn't great and I got stuck in it for a while, but I am glad I read it. It had moments of clarity and inspiration for sure. As a vegan and a person who is new to running, there was a lot I could relate to for sure.

I just found some of the stories dull and uninspiring. The last few chapters, when he started discussing his life and spiritual awakening were better than the middle.

Glad to be done with it and ready to move on.
Lee
I made it three quarters of the way through and had to take it back to the library. I'm interested in his story and I like the recipes but I'm not a huge fan of the writing.
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Scott's achievements are admirable.
This book was very enjoyable.

Although interesting, I didn't care about all the vegan recipe's too much. But good on him for figuring out the perfect balance between input and output.

I've read a couple of other Ultra marathon books now:
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
And comparing Scott with the others, it seems li
tooliepanna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Świetna książka zarówno dla szukających inspiracji sportowych, jak i kulinarnych. A gdy poszukuje sie obydwóch - pozycja idealna! Przy tym bardzo interesująco opisane kolejne kroki, które autor podjął by poznać własny organizm i jego reakcje na kolejne wyzwania fizyczne i zmiany w diecie.

(Gwiazdka odjęta za przerażający egocentryzm autora - w książce przewijają się wątki osobiste i zastanawia mnie, jak on w ogóle mógł tak swoją żonę traktować...D:)
RC1140
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 , end got a bit dark and its kinda sad to hear how things ended with his wife and how it affected him as well. Definitely a must read for any runner, understanding just how much Scott overcame is super inspirational. Listned to this on a run which left an even greater impression on me
Nora Žáková
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Najviac motivujúca kniha o behaní.
V audioverzii- ideálny spoločník k bežeckým teniskám, v tlačenej verzii-skvelý receptár jednoduchých vegánskych receptov...
Vlastne ani neviem povedať, ktorá verzia sa mi páči viac!!! :-)
Tom
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Jurek runs and runs and runs, sometimes 24 hours a day, sometimes 100 miles or more. He also is a vegan. I'm a sucker for stories about ultra athletes.
Meghan Lyons
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this during a particularly cold week of maternity leave. It actually made me want to run again!

I quickly skimmed through most of the recipes at the end of the chapters...while I enjoyed reading about his different food phases, I’m not motivated to change my life in that area.
Red Readers Runners: Octubre - Noviembre 2013: Correr, Comer, Vivir 20 20 Jan 15, 2014 11:11PM
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss: 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • Lore of Running
  • The Cool Impossible: The Coach from "Born to Run" Shows How to Get the Most from Your Miles-And From Yourself
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
SCOTT JUREK is a world-renowned ultramarathon champion who trains and races on a vegan diet. He has prominently appeared in two New York Times bestsellers, Born to Run and The 4-Hour Body, and has been featured on CNN and in the New York Times, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and numerous other media. Known and admired for his earth-conscious lifestyle, Scott is also a highly sought after moti ...more
“I'm convinced that a lot of people run ultramarathons for the same reason they take mood-altering drugs. I don't mean to minimize the gifts of friendship, achievement, and closeness to nature that I've received in my running carer. But the longer and farther I ran, the more I realized that what I was often chasing was a state of mind - a place where worries that seemed monumental melted away, where the beauty and timelessness of the universe, of the present moment, came into sharp focus.” 27 likes
“Sometimes you just do things!” 21 likes