Start by marking “Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)

Gilfeather (Isles of Glory #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  415 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The unassuming Sky Plains healer Gilfeather is drawn into the adventure of a lifetime, as he joins a warrior and a sorceress on a quest to overcome a ruthless dunmagicker whose lust for dark power places the entirety of the Glory Isles in danger.
Published October 25th 2005 by Ace (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gilfeather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilfeather

Carlotta
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fantasy
I admired Ms. Larke's ability to craft a good fantasy novel is her pervious book The Aware.Yet this addition to the series, chronicling the further adventures of Blaze Halfbreed, did not match my expectations despite my wanting to enjoy it.

The skill with which to first book was written was what drew me in initially. Many fantasy novels spend too much time detailing “this is how this land works and why” rather than telling readers “these things matter, because it causes this character to…”. Ms. L
Mark
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the Isles of Glory Trilogy continues Blaze Halfbreed and Flame Windrider's dangerous quest to rid the Isles of the evil dunmaster Morthred.

Picking up where we left off in The Aware, Larke introduces us to a new character, Kelwyn Gilfeather, whose remarkable gifts in sensing both Sylv and Dun magic make him as impervious to both as one of the Aware folk.

In this book, Larke reveals more of the Isles unique and treacherous beauty, while the sharp prose and witty dialogue creates
Charlotte
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Will be writing a review once I collect my thoughts and get my first final exam done!
Terri
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I found Gilfeather much harder to get into than The Aware. Larke’s trilogy isn’t about Blaze, although she’s present for all of it so far, but rather about the Isles of Glory and their seemingly t00-fantastic-too-be-real past, so I understand why she used different narrators for each installment (Ruarth in the next book). Still, I found Gilfeather himself rather dull. He doesn’t believe in magic and Blaze and Flame don’t spend too much time trying to wear him down about this, since they know the ...more
Amanda
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
All three, then four, of our main characters are complicated and more than a little annoying at times, but I like them.

Gilfeather especially, who in trying to do the right things, finds that his actions have terrible consequences.

I wish I could get ahold of the 3rd book in the series.
Betule Sairafi
Apr 20, 2014 marked it as abandoned
I've been wanting to read this for 5 years, and when I finally got it - ew. It opens up with so much heavy-handed religious anti-preaching, I can't even. It's written in a way that I can just TELL that the good guys will be liberal and fun and happy and the pious are pinheaded freaks. I don't usually care what religious undertone a good story has, but ermagod this isn't a light aroma, this is sticking my head in a paint can. Go away, book. I need to open a window.

... Restrictions placed on a Fe
Durakan
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid sequel to the first book. I didn't feel it quite lived up to the same standard, but that could easily emanate from the usual problem when reading an author's second book - you don't benefit from the nascency of the style and the setting.

More specifically, some of the things I liked in the first book were not so greatly emphasised in this one (i.e. the politics), and the narration of Kelwyn - though he was a likeable character and his story is interesting - created a sense of detachment f
Aarushi
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the first one which is weird because not a great deal happens in this book. But that isn't to say it isn't exciting.

I love Gilfeather as a character and of course Blaze is as badass as ever. I also love the new edition of Dek.

What I love about these books is that there is so much darkness in amidst the intrigue and yet the author is still able to keep it light-hearted.

I cannot wait to read the final book to see what happens.

A must read for anyone who enjoys fantasy.
Joni
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fifantasy, 2009
The middle book of the Isles of Glory trilogy is quite compelling. Larke does a nice job of illuminating Kelwyn Gilfeather, a new character who is the nephew of a physician we met in the first book. Gilfeather grew up in an isolated part of the world (and the culture has some Scottish trappings, which amused me) in a tight knit community that has its own strengths and idiosyncrasies.

Larke tells a good story and this is no exception.
Kari
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! Did not see all that coming. :) Can't wait to see how it ends!
I am still enjoying the narrative of story telling, though it gives away who doesn't die in the end. This is a tiny bit disappointing for the excitement of the story, but nice since you become connected to the characters . I guess it is to be expected being written as an ethnography! Onward to book 3!
Maraia
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid sequel to The Aware. I enjoyed Gilfeather's narration, once I finally figure out who he is in relation to the Gilfeather in the first book. The constant cryptic foreshadowing is killing me, though!
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, z2008
The second book in the Isles of Glory trilogy this continues the battle between good sylv magic and bad dun magic. But is any of it really good? An interesting read.
Melanie
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 was a little slow to start, but sure did finish in a flourish :)
Hayley Forrest
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gave it 5 because I just love this woman's books. They're stressful, wonderful stories.
Iain Kaslar
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glenda-larke
fantastic book. so glad I stumbled upon this author at the supernova.
LadyMegan
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Lian Tanner
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am enjoying this series so much! Great characters and a gripping, highly original story. Glenda Larke has just joined my list of favourite authors.
Patrick
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I would give it a five but I have to leave somewhere to go :)
Darxy
Dhalia
Sep 10, 2013
Jessica-rose Turner
Dec 21, 2016
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • Ink Black Magic (Mocklore Chronicles, #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Firebird's Vengeance (Isavalta, #3)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Chocolat, Volume 2
  • Riddle of Green (Little Fur, #4)
  • The Starthorn Tree
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
Glenda was born in Western Australia, the daughter of a farmer. She was educated at government state schools and the University of Western Australia, where she obtained a degree in history and a diploma in education. Married to a Malaysian scientist, she has grown-up children, and now lives in Malaysia, where she is actively involved in rainforest conservation.
Author of The Isles of Glory trilogy
More about Glenda Larke...

Isles of Glory (3 books)
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)