Start by marking “Mother of the Bride” as Want to Read:
Mother of the Bride

Mother of the Bride

She planned everything for the wedding–
except the falling in love part. . . .

In a family of jet-setters and lovable eccentrics, Cydney Parrish is the stable, sensible one, always with her feet firmly planted on the ground. Maybe that’s why she ended up raising her sister’s daughter Bebe. Now Bebe is all grown up and about to marry the nephew of the handsome and reclusive
Published May 28th 2002 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about Mother of the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother of the Bride

Start your review of Mother of the Bride
Luisa Rivas
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
In the beginning, the book was a little slow, but then you get invested in the story and you want to find out how it goes. I liked the whole cast of funny characters, mostly Cydney, although it made me mad how she let her family walk all over her. Loved the reference of the peashooter vs the uzi. Gus sometimes seemed more of a bumbling clown than a hot hunk, with all the accidents he suffered from Cydney and Bebe, but he shone later on. He starts as a scowling, angry man, and as the book ...more
Lia Rock lantz
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really fun book. Easy to keep those pages turning
Jenn
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Cydney Parrish is the only normal member of a family of extraordinary people. Her father is a bestselling mystery writer who’s on his sixth or so marriage. Her sister is an award winning photographer whose many marriages make the news. Her mother is not only a bestselling novelist but a syndicated newspaper columnist and though her niece hasn’t made the news yet she’s got the kind of looks that will take her places in life. She’s the backbone of her
Debby
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Cydney Parrish's father is a best selling mystery author, her sister Gwen has 2 Pulitzer's for her photos, and her mother Georgette is a nationally syndicated etiquette columnist. Cydney runs her own photography company and has raised her niece for the past 5 years since no one else is around to do it. Bebe is 19 and when Cydney finds her in bed with Aldo Munroe, she announced her engagement. The next two weeks are a whirlwind. Aldo's uncle and guardian is Angus Munroe - also a best selling ...more
Probably more like 2.5 stars for me but I rounded up because I ultimately liked the book more than I thought I was going to. This was a mostly cute story, but I didn't find the characters likable for much of it, and I kept finding plot holes while reading. Overall pretty good and a fine time passer, but just not something I fully resonated with.
Amanda
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first attempt at reading a Lynn Michael's book, and I loved it. I got exactly want I wanted to get out of a book, which is to be left with a happiness over reading it and a gut deep feeling; no matter what the feeling is; over a character. The worst thing in the world is to me, is to walk away from a book once done with it having no feeling at all. I would rather hate a book over being impartial to it, which is the exact opposite of how I felt about this book when I finished that ...more
Susan
This novel started out unlikeable then gathered so much steam...

Cydney, who raised her niece after her self-absorbed sister was widowed, is trying to hold her life together when said niece suddenly gets engaged to an almost 21-year old young man. Whew. Cydney's head is still reeling about her soon-to-empty nest when who should walk into her garage but her favorite author, who happens to be the fiancé's uncle and guardian?

No, the Uncle is no happier about the situation than Cydney. They argue for
J-ellist
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
independence, individuality, loyalty, probably won’t happen in real life, dreaming, for entertainment purpose only, not serious, bit confusing, aunts and uncles, jalousie, love, rich people, responsibilities, redundant, HEA ending, get what you want, family, chicklit, differences, naivety, humorous, reclusive hero, older hero, unrealistic romance, acceptance of difference, immature young couple, love at first sight but not mentioned early on, character writing the book we read (?), famous and ...more
Heather
May 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have been reading a lot of meaty stuff, so this looked like a fun break-except that I knew how it was going to end by the middle of the first chapter. I figured I would read it to see how Lynn developed the plot. It was mostly childish behavior being acted out by "adults." If I wanted to experience people behaving badly all I have to do is leave my kids alone for 5 minutes. For a romance it was light on the steamy stuff, which is good because I don't get into that anyway.
Melanie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Barbara Elsborg
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. The characters were a hoot. The plot was simple and yet crazily complicated with all the shenanigans. The humour was perfect. This writer is the closest to Jenny Crusie that I've found. This is the second book I've read of hers and she's now one of my favourites. For a light hearted romantic romp - it was just great.
Nicole
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jeanne
Shelves: rom
Really enjoyed this novel. Read it a long time ago, but it almost begs rereading. Oodles of quirky characters, a few miscommunications, quite a few hospital visits, and fights between the main characters!

The last page confused me, and also felt that such interesting supporting cast deserved their own books. Confused that it isn't so.
Julie
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
not an exciting book...slow moving
Annoyed with Bebe and esp Bebe's mom
Cydney VERY WEAK character and seems childish in how everyone can walk all over her...
typical bridezilla story line...and yes, Bebe seems like true character after dealing with my own true bridezilla...but so wanted to smack more than 1/2 the characters in the book
Amy
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would say this book rate somewhere between three and four stars. I definitely thought it started out stronger than it finished. Although I will say it was hilarious at times! I enjoyed the characters a great deal and the plot was interesting. I think the book could've been condensed a little bit though.
Marcia
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I bought this thinking it was another 'how to' and it is a romance. Well, more a slug fest. One of those 'romance' books in which EVERYONE is fighting. And then throw in some sex scenes. Did not read the entire thing, I got so weary of all the arguments. Pass on this unless you really do enjoy that genre.
Cat
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Predictable from page one, but a good book to pick up and put down the week before a wedding! I haven't read much chick lit, so don't know if this is typical, but a bit of juicy sex and enough quirky character to make a very enjoyable read.
Linda Jennings
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The story line was entertaining and made me laugh a few times. It also made me want to shed "happy tears" a time or two. When a book does that it is one that I will definitely recommend to other chick-lot lovers.
Fran
The portrayal of the young people bothered me, as a young person. Yes, these people felt immature so treating them like children to some extent as children is justified, but I was so annoyed by a lot of it.
Amanda
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Rogers
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Raced through this book while we were driving across Canada. The family was kooky but fun and reasonably believable. It would be nice to have a series of "real" people - not famous in any way - but otherwise a great intro to her work. Romance without being bodice-ripper.
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Good, fun, predictable! Cydney got a bit whiny at times, but I enjoyed Gus a lot. Although if you're only going to read one Lynn Michaels book, I'd recommend Return Engagement over this one.
Teresa
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny and sweet, with a little sizzle... ;)
Heather
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I kept picking this book on and off. It was cute but I really couldn't get into it. Not my taste.
Amber Ziegler
Nov 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Yet another dime-a-dozen romance novel I read when I was a literary noob. This one was not quite at the top of the romance-novel-food-chain, but I've read worse.
Stacey V. Elder
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
really good book, totally considering buying more from this author really soon.
Traci
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Light. Fun. chicklet.
Laurajane Barber
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2013
Lots of typos in the Barnes & Noble version, but overall a fun read with quirky characters and lots of crazy entertainment. I laughed, I cried.
Shaonnette
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read, albeit predictable. The twist w/ Bebe was not expected. Very well written.
Sandra
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightfully fun book to read that will have you smiling and laughing at the antics of a family preparing for a wedding no one but the couple wants! A good summer read....
Erin
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun, light-hearted romance story!

• Any Day Now (Sullivan's Crossing, #2)
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1)
  • The Saturday Night Supper Club (Supper Club #1)
  • Rumour Has It
  • Brunch at Bittersweet Café (The Saturday Night Supper Club #2)
  • Night of Miracles (Mason, #2)
  • Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic, #8)
  • Miss Julia Rocks the Cradle (Miss Julia #12)
  • Kitchens of the Great Midwest
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
  • Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic, #7)
My first book was published in 1984 when I was 12. Why are you laughing? Since then I've published 16 books and 2 novellas: two Regencies originally written as Jane Lynson, one paranormal romantic suspense as Paula Christopher and everything else as Lynn Michaels. My husband Michael warned me never to dedicate a book to him, so instead I stole his name for my pseudonym.

Michael and I have 2 grown