Start by marking “Don't Wake the Bear!” as Want to Read:
Don't Wake the Bear!

Don't Wake the Bear!

It's time for the animals to celebrate Spring with a party in the forest--they just have to make sure they don't wake the bear!

The woodland animals are having a party to celebrate Spring--the only problem is there is an enormous, hairy, scary bear sleeping nearby. The animals have to be especially quiet so they don't wake the bear. After tiptoeing with wobbling plates and
Published February 1st 2012 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Wake the Bear!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Wake the Bear!

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I don't know what to think about this one. It is fun but I kept feeling like I was reading another person's book - the bear series by Karma Wilson.
Elisabeth
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I would like this so much better if I didn't feel like it was uncomfortably too close to a Karma Wilson/ Jane Chapman book.
Stefani
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Cute, but definitely a Bear Snores On rip. Still, kids won't care, and for parents over 500 readings of Bear Snores On or when it's all checked out before storytime, this is a nice alternative.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The story is charmingly illustrated. The rhyming text has different font sizes, suggesting readers to change their voice in the story-telling.
Tanya
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoy reading this book with my 15 month-old. The story is a cute one and the rhyming text includes different font sizes that suggest where the reader might change their voice to aid in the story telling. Little one now looks for the 'pop' page and claps his hands and says 'pop' to imitate the balloon bursting.
معصومه توکلی
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to معصومه by: زینب اسماعیلی
عنوان ترجمه ی فارسی: خرگوش کوچولو خرس را بیدار نکنی!
Kate Amedeo
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The woodland animals are having a party. But, oh no, the bear has fallen asleep in the hollow tree right where they were planning to have their party! Not to worry, they can still have a party, though, if they do it quietly. All seems to go as planned until… Until the hare decides to add one last touch – he brings a big, red balloon and starts to blow… It’s easy to guess what happens next, a very loud Pop! wakes the scary, hairy bear up. But what do you know, it turns out that even though bears ...more
Kate Amedeo
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Big Book Little Book
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Helen for www. bigbooklittlebook.com

Bear has gone to sleep in a tree very near where the animals are planning to have their Spring party. The animals think that bears are scary and are terrified of waking him up so they set about their party preparations as quietly as they can. As they totter back and forth with noisy crockery and a slippery jelly they have the odd mishap, but when hare starts to blow up a balloon and then gets carried away and it pops what will happen when bear wakes up? Of co
Ashley R.
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Don't Wake the Bear! was a very enjoyable book to read! The animals in the story are trying to throw a party and plan everything. On their way to setting up and obtaining materials, each of them does something that makes a lot of noise, scaring all of the animals into thinking that they woke the bear from his hibernation. One noise was just too loud and the bear actually did wake up. The funny thing is that the bear thought the party was for him, so he was not grumpy and the other animals preten ...more
Julee
Little forest friends are preparing for a Spring celebration taking great care to stay quiet to avoid waking a hairy, scary bear that is sleeping in a hollowed out tree right where the party is to be held. When little hare blows a red balloon up too much, it POPS waking the bear.

Loved it! Yes, it is like Katma Wilson's Bear Snores On but it is just as charming and wonderful. My students were so engrossed in my reading of the story that I hadn't realized the teachers were equally captivated until
Neil
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Notes: Don't Wake The Bear, by Steve Smallman and Caroline Pedler is a good book that talks about bears and nature.

Book Review: The animals in the forest are going to have a party and they do not want to wake the bear because he may get angry. So they get all ready to have the party and one animal wakes the bear. All the animals are scared, but the bear turns out to be very happy and excited that they woke him.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades K-3 and would use it with
Library Quine
For some reason, this book is published with the title "Don't Wake The Bear, Hare!" in the UK. This nice rhyming story tells of a group of animal friends preparing for a Spring party. They have to do everything quietly so as not to wake the bear sleeping nearby. Inevitably, the bear is awoken by a spectacularly loud POP (the hare over inflates a balloon) . The animals are afraid there will be trouble. You'll have to read it to see what transpires - I love to ask my listeners what they think the ...more
Megan
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't wake the bear is a short picture book about how you shouldn't judge someone by how they look, and what others say about them. In the book the animals want to have a part but they don't want to wake up the sleeping bear, because they are afraid of him. After a bad experience with a popping balloon the bear wakes up, the animals are scared...come to find out the bear is thrilled and thinks that the party is for him. He is a nice friendly bear.
Graham
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Party time, and all the animals are about to create something marvellous when they discover a bear.... Fate takes a hand, and all is resolved in a clear up of misunderstandings and community spirit. Good for fours and up; the poetic structure will have small ones chanting along with you after a while.
Four stars. Started and finished 30-7-14, read as a morning story to Rachel 31-7-14
Raneem
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
this book targets the stereotype by taking about a sleeping bear who all the animals are afraid to wake. When the bear finally wakes, he is so happy to join the party thats going on..... and the animals think that the bear is more fun than scary.
Jasmine Crocker
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
This book does a good job of teaching a lesson. It teachers that you can not always judge a book by its cover. All of the animals had these thoughts about the bear but they ended up not even being true at all. It also shows children the different animals and some of there habitats.
Shauna
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do we sometimes misjudge the way a person is going to react to us?

All the forest animals are afraid of waking the bear...
But when it happens he is not grumpy like they thought, he is actually excited to join the party.

Kim Patton
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Through adorable illustrations and text, the story is told of a sleeping bear and his friends who are planning a party. It is very similar in style to Karma Wilson's bear books, which I prefer to this one, but I'm sure kids will delight in the cute creatures of this story.
Jill
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me a lot of Bear Snores on, et al. Not so much the story, but the illustrations--so much so that I had to check and make sure that they didn't have the same illustrator. Not sure if that's necessarily good or bad...
Nanci Booher
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, kids
A fun picture book. The forest animals are planning a party but there's a bear in their log. They are worried what will happen if they wake the bear up. Needless to say, Bear wakes up, but instead of being angry, he is excited for the party.
carissa
"As they prepare for a party, the animals in the forest try not to wake the huge bear sleeping in a nearby tree."

This book reminded me too much of Karma Wilson's "Bear" series. This was a cute story, but I would pick Wilson's to read aloud in storytime.
Great Books
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4, family
Colorful scences invite you to stay for Spring Party Day, as whimsical animals scurry - quietly - on tip-toe preparing. The rhyming text is wonderful for expressive reading and preschoolers will love repeating, "don't wake the bear!" Reviewer #7
Nikkik0428
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this book! I is such a great book for beginner readers and it is a fun book! I read this book as a read out loud in the 2nd grade class and they really liked it along with the CT teacher. I would recommend this book for primary grades.
Jane
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable story in verse.
Stephanie Fujii
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one! Great pictures, rhyming (which is SO much more entertaining to read...) and a cute story. Good all around.
Thia
spring, parties, bears
Melissa Wegscheid
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My kids love this book!!!
Nicolas
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My younger brothers favourite story book
Kim O'Gorman
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delightful!
A "please read again" at bedtime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Steve Smallman lives in Staffordshire with his wife, two dogs and two cats. He has four children and a grandchild. Steve has been illustrating children’s books for almost 30 years and writing his own stories for slightly less. He also teaches illustration workshops in schools, including mural-painting. Steve is the author of Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater (Winner of the Sheffield Children's Book ...more