Start by marking “Catwitch” as Want to Read:
Catwitch

Catwitch

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Having been taught reading, writing, and a little magic by his owner, Jules the kitten is persuaded by fairies that appear through the television set to return with them to fairyland and help save their captive prince.
Hardcover
Published 1983 by Doubleday & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Catwitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catwitch

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
370 books — 263 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great "Cat" Books
1,385 books — 718 voters

More lists with this book...

Lara Messersmith-Glavin
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-mg-ya
This book was another childhood favorite for a variety of reasons: one, it was under "restricted circulation" in my grade school library, as a number of incredibly fearful and pathologically ridiculous Christian parents criticized its magical message and deemed a "Satanic influence" on the minds of young readers; two, it is beautiful both in image and text. It was eventually banned by the school, and mother, in her infinite good wisdom and uniquely well-situated position as a library volunteer, ...more
Amber dePixi
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children, biblio
Witches! Fairies! Cats who can speak and wear hats! and best of all....UNICORNS?!

I found this book in one of my childhood haunts - the public library. Every summer my grandmother would drive me there so that I could rack up "points" that would earn me entrance into pizza parties during the next school year! What a deal, considering my nose was stuck in a book regardless of potential pizza rewards...

I was right at the reading level where I found myself grabbing thicker, chapter books and toying
Farhan Rahman
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
As you may have guessed, this book is about a cat. Who is also a witch. Jules is a kitten who longs for adventure, so he leaves his brethren behind and ends up familiar to a witch (a fading starlet looking to regain her glamor). There's a nefarious real estate developer, a fairy court, and yes, even a unicorn brought to life in absurdly lush illustrations.

I adored this book and must have reread it hundreds of times as a kid. It's one of those books where the illustrations reveal something new w
Nicole
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just found this used on Amazon for a reasonable price--looking forward to sharing it with my daughter when she gets to an age where she can read children's books!
Leigh Bardugo
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite that I still have on my shelf. A haunting, humorous story, beautifully illustrated— I'd love to see this back in print. But why isn't the amazing Lisa Tuttle credited as well?
Willa Grant
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great magic story from the UK- the best part is that the evil sorcerer looks like Raymond Buckland! LOL
Erin
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It is literally a book about a cat that is a witch. HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THIS. New favorite children's book.
Michelle Keil
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Early inspiration for my penchant for talking cats. This book really does have everything.
Erth
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Robinbp
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
what a wonderful book!
the images and wonderful fantasy story kept me glued in all throughout the 79 pages.
hard to find, i still have my original copy and i never had to search a library for it but if i could still buy it, i'd get a copy for most of the young kids i know to share the inspiration with them.
Kazzmatazz
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book as a child, but unfortunately went to a Catholic school where it was deemed 'restricted' in our library. I was only allowed to check it out twice, but often went back to the library to sit and read it repeatedly. The illustrations were gorgeous and the story imaginative and rich.
deanna
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
since my aunt kiya gave me this book in kindergarten, it remains my all time favourite story...it encouraged me to practice drawing and has filled me with the belief that the magic of nature and personal belief are mystifying and supernatural
Connie Ziebarth
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations!! If you have children that appreciate stories about magic (witches, fairies, unicorns, etc.), I would definitely recommend this one. The book is out of print, but I borrowed a copy from the library.
Juliette
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic long out-of-print classic. The illustrations are well done and include fairies, unicorns, cat witches! What more could you want? Keep your eyes peeled for this delightful book at thrift stores.
Jessi Overton
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This one gets 5 stars for the illustrations if for no other reason. I'm still hoping to one day be able to afford the sometimes astronomical price tag for this BEAUTIFUL out of print book.
Shirleyleishmanlives
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous!
Patricia
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite picture book as a child.
Robin Ferguson
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I love kids books. With a name like Catwitch it immediately caught my attention.
R.L. Martinez
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations and a charming story combine to make this a wonderful edition to any child's library. Wish they would bring it back into print!
Krystl Louwagie
A cute story about a cat who wants to have adventures, but is also a loyal and good companion. Plus, magic and unicorns.
Leighah
Jan 10, 2018
Mary
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Elephant's Child: And Other Just So Stories (Dover: Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Grail of the Summer Stars (Aetherial Tales, #3)
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Rice Boy
  • Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)
  • Pippi Moves In
  • The Sleepless Little Vampire
  • The Invisible Road  (The Dreamhunter Duet, #1-2)
  • The Invisibles
  • In All But Blood (ElfQuest Reader's Collection, #8b)
  • Hunt for the Pyxis (The Galaxy Pirates #1)
  • Captains of the City Streets: A Jenny's Cat Club Book
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey
  • Lad of Sunnybank
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • Magician's Law (Tales of the Bard #1)
  • Morgan and Yew