Start by marking “The Lawmen” as Want to Read:
The Lawmen

Read Book

The Lawmen

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The average life expectancy for a marshal in Topaz, Arizona, is three weeks. Down-on-his-luck Clay Chandler takes the marshal’s job out of desperation. Clay has barely settled into the job when Vance Hopkins drunkenly guns down a black man. Clay arrests Vance for murder, but Wes Hopkins and his gang run Topaz, and they demand that Vance be released -- or else. Clay has giv ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 172 pages
Published November 1st 1993 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about The Lawmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lawmen

Mr. Matt
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western, 2014
In a dusty Arizona silver boom-town, there is no law. The last Marshall only lasted a few weeks, and the one before him even less. Men are gun downed in drunken shootouts in saloons. Whores are cut up for holding out on their pimps. When a former Confederate soldier down on his luck applies for the job of Marshall, it seems too good to be true to the town fathers. If he succeeds, then they have cleaned up their town. And if he gets killed, well, then they'll just be one more body on boot hill.

Cl
Barbara Lee Wood
"RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS"

A ex-slave and a down trodden beat up ex-prospector; looking for a job, in fact, any job will do.. The war of "Northern Aggression"is over and there are many men both northerners and southerners who have no jobs and no place to rest their heads. Black man murdered, nothing new, just another black man dead, besides they aren't considered humans (so what). The down and out prospectors has been hired by the town's fathers for a hundred dollars a month, pretty
good money for putt
Cphe
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: western
This was a very entertaining read. Clay Chandler is a down on his luck Reb when he applies for the job of Marshall in Topaz.
The town is owned and run by the vicious Hopkins gang who have many of the town's citizens in their corrupt pockets.
When the inevitable showdown comes Clay has to rely on the services of a freed slave Essex to stand beside him as he struggles to uphold the law.

This book reminded me of the older style westerns, with the themes of good versus evil and comradehip. Clay and Ess
Mark Taylor
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great western that pits two wisecracking lawmen (in the vein of Cole & Hitch, although this story predates Mr. Parker's masterpieces by more than a decade) against an evil gang that has taken over a town. It's a very exciting read, and the plot flows smoothly. The tension between the protagonists, with its undercurrent of grudging respect, puts a new twist on an archetypal plot and makes me wonder if ever a sequel was written. I'll have to investigate.
marygail ferris
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read

This is a well written western with insight into men , beautiful description of the territory, and of course plenty of action. It's my first
Broomall western and enough to motivate me to read them all. I' ve been reading western for years and usually read by author so when I find one worth it then on I go for more.
Marilyn
This was such an unusual story that I had to give it 3 stars because of the effort the author had to put into it. At some point I just got lost, but then it would turn around and make a really good point. I think some parts were just too long for me. I did like the ending. Its a better ending than a lot of stories have. I wish this author good luck.
Kathyrn E. Douglas
Having read a lot of western I have to rate this book as good.

A western with a different twist, something new in most western.books is all ways a good thing.It was
a good read.
Apr 24, 2017
clydewbrown
Jul 06, 2014
ROBERT C  PY
rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2014