Start by marking “Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros” as Want to Read:
Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros

Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros

"Think country-club clinic meets Navy Seals training. I will pay any price, bear any burden, leave my home to follow the seasons, build my own swing studio in the basement, construct a practice green in my backyard. . . . Everything the big boys have access to, I want double." Like most amateur golfers, Tom Coyne had often wondered whether the pros won because they were ...more
Published May 3rd 2007 by Avery Publishing Group (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Tiger

Start your review of Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros
Moses
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I don't golf, and yet, I finished the book. The golf, it turns out, was the least interesting part of the book. I enjoyed most enjoyed the characters, the myopic questing, and the Voltaire-esque ending (life is perhaps best when enjoyed simply, with one's loved ones). Not amazing, but well-played.
Frisco
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book did an incredible job of capturing the quirks that go with being a professional golfer. The mannerisms, the unspoken rules, the way that we read each other on the range. Coyne is a great writer - I laughed out loud repeatedly.

(view spoiler)
John Gibson
Reads Like a Golf Round

This book is certainly enjoyable... about as enjoyable as an average around of golf for an average player. There are high points and low points and you find yourself hoping that the author will have great success but he never does. I guess there is some deep analogy for life here, that even though your expectations may be very high, its relationships and love that matter the most in the end.
Jim Healy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonder how good the guys on the PGA Tour are? Not to mention the guys actually winning tournaments and majors? Insanely and freakishly good. The author, a former junior club champion at a very well regarded course outside Philadelphia, rededicates himself to the game and tells the story in this book. Spoiler alert: there are a lot of good golfers out there and more are being manufactured every day. Good luck to you if you want to pursue this path.
Mike Eckhardt
The golf part is interesting, it's nice to have the perspective of an everyday golfer, albeit a really good one, to demonstrate just how good the pros really are. But as most autobiographical works go, you could easily shave 50 pages out of this and not miss a beat. Despite the homage, it doesn't compare to the works of George Plimpton.
Todd
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Golf like it really is

Well-written, descriptive, and encompassing of the trials and tribulations for those who ever aspired to be professional golfers and wanted to know what it really meant to make that dream a reality. Tom's openness and capture of the finer points makes for a worthwhile read.
Michael Davis
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific "non-fiction" story of an average Joe type golfer who tries to get as good at golf as he can by living like a pro golfer for 15 months. Every average golfer's dream story played out and told in very well written prose.
Mason Bonn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started and finished this over break, inherently interesting because of the topic to me but well written, exploring how deep the level of competition is at the pro level and how there is far more to life than golf.
Raul F
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable!

This book was particularly enjoyable for all those hackers who dream about how much better they would need to play to make it to the pros. It also helps you appreciate the level of talent and dedication to play in the PGA.
Frank
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Tom Coyne's books on golf adventures and this one is one of his best. I felt like I was living his dream ans he prepared for Q school.
I recommend it especially for all those golfers out there who still think that maybe they can play at another level
Jerry Goodwin
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and insightful read. I learned a lot about the world of golf.
Wm. Powell
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read.
Scott
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a golfer, this is laugh out loud funny non-fiction. Looking forward to his future travails.
Ben
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. Nice ending.
Chad Supp
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having finished "A Course Called Ireland" while traveling to Florida for vacation, I figured why not read Coyne's "Paper Tiger" while on the beach. Quick summary: The story is Coyne's personal year-long journey, dedicating his life to becoming a tour pro (or reaching Q-School anyway). The book is very funny, and Coyne's self-deprecating humor is the star of the show. He does an effective job of illustrating how ridiculously hard and frustrating the game of golf can be, while also describing the ...more
Andy Valen
Marginal. This guy tries to make the PGA tour...and fails. But he proposes to his girlfriend at the end as if you are supposed to feel like you didn't waste your time reading this book. Another thing I didn't like was that he slips in that his girlfriend is hot numerous times. That seemed to annoy me for some reason. It seemed like he was saying, "Yeah, I didn't make the PGA tour...I didn't even do anything of note for the past year except waste peoples money...but I have a girlfriend - and she ...more
Jwh370
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book about a talented golfer devoting himself to golf and seeing if he could play with the big boys. For any golf fan, it shows the marginal difference between the good players and the great players. It also shows the sacrafice needed to really compete with the Phil's and Tiger's of the world. A great read!
Brad Larsen
Interesting treatment of the standard golfer's question: "if I took a year and did nothing but golf, how good could I get?"

I liked the narrative feel of the story - as if I was sitting at the bar listening to the author tell it. There ultimately was something missing from the story and from the golf game. I had trouble staying interested through the end. It just didn't flow.
Gigi
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Becoming a golf pro is harder than one might think. I loved reading about Tom Coyne's quest for Q School. Any golfer will enjoy this book and wish they could take a year off to live and breath the game.
Becki Tooley
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this to better understand Golfers. I was impressed with the insight and the beautiful way the preparation for a round of play was written. I am still not a golfer, but perhaps I will try to swing a stick soon. Good Read.
Jamie Gallagher
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has been around the game of golf for 20 years. I feel like I have known 5 to 10 people who could of tried this. Just give up life for a year a dedicate it to your golf game. None could of written about as well as Tom. This is a must read for any golf fan.
Phil Simon
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I laugh out loud reading books. This was one of those times. I could relate on some level, being an amateur hack. Amazing story.
Jared Ober
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coyne is an EXCELLENT writer. Had a nice flair without being overly glib. Really seems to connect with the reader.
Tim Morgan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and what every good folder thinks. A fun read.
Ed
Nov 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong start, weak ending.
Smh624
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a really nice book about finding out what's important in life. I liked it a lot. I will read more from Tom Coyne.
Vince Carter
Vivid glimpse at coming to appreciate how good those guys are!
Derek
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like imagining how you would spend a lottery win for golfers.
Scott
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

5 stars, very humorous. My second Coyne book-loved it.
Kevin
Apr 21, 2008

• Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
  • An American Caddie in St. Andrews: Growing Up, Girls, and Looping on the Old Course
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Men in Green
  • Tiger Woods
  • Your Short Game Solution: Mastering the Finesse Game from 120 Yards and In
  • Bud, Sweat & Tees: A Walk on the Wild Side of the PGA Tour
  • Miracle at St Andrews (Travis McKinley, #3)
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
  • Two Years in St. Andrews: At Home on the 18th Hole
  • The Range Bucket List: The Golf Adventure of a Lifetime
  • Every Shot Counts: Using the Revolutionary Strokes Gained Approach to Improve Your Golf Performance  and Strategy
  • Dream Golf: The Making of Bandon Dunes, Revised and Expanded
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • The Anatomy of a Golf Course: The Art of Golf Architecture