Start by marking “The Prince Who Walked with Lions” as Want to Read:
The Prince Who Walked with Lions

The Prince Who Walked with Lions

A sweeping epic about a prince torn from his mountain home. Based on a true story.

The British Army is circling the stronghold of the King of Abyssinia. Under orders from Queen Victoria, its mission is to rescue the British Envoy, held prisoner.

Watching with terror and awe is the king's young son, Alamayu. He knows that his father is as brave as a li
Published March 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Who Walked with Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Who Walked with Lions

Start your review of The Prince Who Walked with Lions
Joey Woolfardis
I never felt like the voice of Prince Alamayu was particularly convincing which, coupled with the rather slow pace, was why I didn't enjoy this book.

I thank it for teaching me about a part of history I knew nothing about beforehand, but really all else was disappointing. The narrator, the lack of plot, the format of the book: none of it really took me with it.

I can't say I'm convinced it will be well-received by children either, whom it is primarily aimed at. Historically
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

The Prince Who Walked With Lions by Elizabeth Laird isn't anything at all like I expected it to be. Regardless of that, I still really enjoyed it and found the story to be both interesting and sad. Having only read a small blurb about the story before I began reading, I guess I thought the book would be told more in the present from our main character's point of view as he struggles with bullies in his school.

But Alamayu is
Yamna Rashid
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
O God.
Dear God.
Why, why, WHY would someone think this is a good idea for a book??

First of all, let me just clarify that the blurb and the title ITSELF is VERY misleading. You would think it's about a prince who was brave and tamed lions or something from the title and the blurb would have you think he overcomes bullying from some boys at a boarding school. BUT it is neither
Second of all, if you see a book being sold at an exorbitantly low price, believe that it prob
Amy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting true story. I now wonder if his items are still in the v and a museum. Was a sad story of a prince growing up in the wrong country due to his father's behaviour and the English army.
Teresa
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it

My Rating 3.5 stars

I’m almost ashamed to say that before reading this I had never even heard of Elizabeth Laird but an examination of her back catalogue has revealed a veritable Aladdin’s Cave of children’s literature – much to add to the never-ending wishlist both for my children and I. She has certainly had a full and varied life, working and travelling in many different parts of the world – a multicultural cornucopia which she has drawn upon to produce a range of intelligently wri
Emily Clark
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed ‘The Prince Who walked With Lions’ because it shows the Victorian world from the point of view of an Abyssinian tribal prince – Alamayu. Laird does this by describing ordinary things that we take for granted, such as trains, in an intriguing and intimidating way.
From the start I feel sorry for Prince Alamayu because of his unpredictable father and then later on because he is left alone in the confusing world of the British army camps as he travels to England.
I really liked
Maria Longley
This is a historical novel based on true events. Prince Alamayu was brought to England after his father the Emperor of Abyssinia was defeated by the British and his mother died. The book charts this monumental shift in life style and countries for the young prince and we learn a whole lot along the way too. Queen Victoria knew and liked him and they lived near each other on the Isle of Wight for a while, and he went to Rugby... What a strange life for a young Ethiopian! The novel was so absorbin ...more
Kirsty
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
The Prince who walked with lions was an interesting read.

I like Elizabeth Laird's style of historical fiction in that is always based on a huge amount of research of the events that book is about. The facts behind the story are solid and therefore the book is informative without being dull as the story-telling is spot on.

I really enjoyed this book - it mixes between present tense diary format with flashback scenes following the abyssinian prince and looking back over his
Holly Anderson
Ultimately, I enjoyed this book.
It felt more like an autobiography than a novel, due to its authenticity and factual historical nature.
It took me halfway through the book before I felt connected enough to become emotionally attached to Prince Alamayu, as he grew up a bit and became more mature, as he had to cope with such new surroundings.
It made me feel rather solemn to finish the book and read the 'Afterword' of what befell him in the end.
Helen Cooley
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
A very sad story based on the true tale of a young Abyssinian (old Ethiopia) prince whose family were killed by the Victorian British army. The young boy, Alamayu, was brought to England, met Queen Victoria, and then was sent to Rugby boarding school where he had to survive racism and bullies.

An interesting life to read about, but desperately sad overall.
Stephen King
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Cleverly written semi - true bio of a 19th century Abyssinian boy prince who us taken to England when his fathers empire is overrun. The scenes at Rugby school seem to have been well researched, as well. For me, though, the story line needed a little more suspense to ale it memorable.
Cynthianatalia
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked it very much! I must admit I teared up a bit towards the end, not many books have that effect on me. Elizabeth Laird has a great way of giving life to Prince Alamayu's story. Will look forward to more of her works from now on!
skippity_doo
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Well written, dense little novel. I wasn't prepared for such a miserable ending.
Clay
Z
Jan 21, 2014
Matt Cooley
Jun 06, 2016
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even