Start by marking “Fransız Kadınlar Niçin Kilo Almaz? Keyif İçin Yemenin Sırrı” as Want to Read:
Fransız Kadınlar Niçin Kilo Almaz? Keyif İçin Yemenin Sırrı

Fransız Kadınlar Niçin Kilo Almaz? Keyif İçin Yemenin Sırrı

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  13,507 Ratings  ·  1,602 Reviews
Stylish, convincing, wise, funny–and just in time: the ultimate non-diet book, which could radically change the way you think and live.

French women don’t get fat, but they do eat bread and pastry, drink wine, and regularly enjoy three-course meals. In her delightful tale, Mireille Guiliano unlocks the simple secrets of this “French paradox”–how to enjoy food and stay slim
Published 2005 by Remzi Kitabevi (first published January 1st 2004)

Ganesh
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, culture, food
So, two winters ago when I started to put on a little weight, I didn't sweat it at first. I figured "hey, it's normal to put on a few pounds when it's cold out." But when one morning I had difficulty zipping up my pants, I decided to get serious and apply the ideas from this book.

Confession: in the past, whenever I gained weight, I would call up my closest friend and moan "Omigawd! I'm so faaaat!" Inspired by this book, I decided not to go into hysterics. Instead, I decided to remain calm, love
Carmen

Rating and reviewing this is going to be very difficult.

Let's first establish that diet books are anathema to me. Dieting is the anti-Carmen. And make no mistake about it, this IS a diet book.

Let's break this down.

THE BAD:

- Advising people to track their eating for three weeks and then have 48 hours where they eat nothing but leek soup (ingredients: leeks, water) and water is a great way to jumpstart an eating
Aj
Jan 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read in a moment of desperation at my parents' over Xmas vacation. (Picked up from the book exchange in the basement of their NYC building.)

The basic message is that French women don't get fat because they move more than American women, eat good food but in moderation, and enjoy life. I disliked the generalization that American women don't to cook at home, cook what's in season, use good quality ingredients, and to eat in moderation and to try to move more. I disliked her assumption that anyone
Kristl
May 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who want to view food differently
Shelves: food
While I don't believe that French women don't ever get fat, I have to say I was enticed by the tiny woman toting her tiny dog and her wine and baguettes on the cover. Yeah, I admit it. I'm all about the marketing.

I reread this diet book that's a self-proclaimed "not diet book" after the New Year, just to check back in with some concepts that had been blurred by post-wedding gluttony and holiday stretchy pants.

Based on her own experiences, Mireille Guiliano offers a very French answer to a very A
fivethousandbooks
Mar 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truestory, 2008
ok... a chocolate croissant for breakfast?! That is a certainty that I would put a kilo or two on before 9:30am! But I've read so much hype for/against this book so can't wait to read it!

Mar 8 - started this last night and am already halfway through. Que horror!! Ze woman gained 10 kilos in zee visit in zee States! *raise eyebrows* It's not the end of the world honey. Have another glass of bubbly.

Mar 10 - as I continued reading the book, the more annoyed I become. It sounded more and more like
Meredith
Old posts are in spoiler tags below, so you don't have to see them every time I write something new. But, don't worry, I'm not spoilering the outcome of the book. YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS! Okay, if you want to know: (view spoiler).

(view spoiler)
Jonnie
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
While I'm not entirely naïve to believe a well-written book can change your life (insert some quote about how change starts with you) - this book was so deliciously and exquisitely worded, and as far as a "non-diet" book can influence an individual like me, consider it done.

Mireille expertly weaves personal experience, lifestyle advice and recipes and makes you fall in love with food. If you are, like me, already in love with food and haven't read this, then be prepared to be absolutely horny f
Oceana2602
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who know nothing about food and try to lose weight with wonder diets
This is the kind of book your mother gives you for christmas along with the question if it's the new fashion to wear those jeans so tight.
And why, yes, my mother gaves this to me (which is why I read the german version, here. Thanks so much, mom.

Still, I have to give it to Mrs Guiliano (who is not my mother, but the author of the book), she knows about food. And eating. And when and what not to eat.

Her "secret" is that you can eat whatever you want, as long as you never eat too much of anything.
Valerie Sherman
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to feel defensive about the author's assault on the American lifestyle, and I think it's hard for some people to get over that aspect of the book. But, like it or not, the author is right about a lot of things:

* France (and the rest of the Mediterranean) does not have a weight problem. America does.

* Americans do not move enough, do not personally prepare their own food enough, and do not cook seasonally.

* Americans are more concerned with getting cheap and convenient food than they ar
Nat K
* Equilibrium is all
* Quality over quantity
* Fresh is best
* Eat seasonally
* Don’t eat in front of the TV
* Enjoy little pleasures daily, just don’t overindulge
(not too often anyway)
* Water, water and more water (drink up!)
* Champagne suits all occasions

“…a survey reveals that nine out of ten people admit to loving chocolate…and the tenth one is lying.”

I was quite shocked when I saw that the print date of this book was 2005. Was it really that long ago that it was released? Time flies (and all th
Madison Mega-Mara...: French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano 1 6 Mar 10, 2013 06:45PM
  • Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • The Quick Recipe
  • Stuff Parisians Like: Discovering the Quoi in the Je Ne Sais Quoi
  • The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever!
  • Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
  • A Corner in the Marais: Memoir of a Paris Neighborhood
  • The Skinny: How to Fit Into Your Little Black Dress Forever
  • The Essence of Style: How the French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafes, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour
  • The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove
  • Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas
  • Real Simple: Meals Made Easy
  • Paris: The Biography of a City
Internationally best-selling author Mireille Guiliano was for over 20 years the spokesperson for Champagne Veuve Clicquot and a senior executive at LVMH as well as CEO of Clicquot, Inc., the US firm she helped found in 1984 and was its first employee. Her first book, French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure, became a runaway best seller around the globe in 2005. She followed u ...more
More about Mireille Guiliano...
“Making choices that are meaningful to you is the essence of the French woman's secret.” 13 likes
“We can't imagine anything more boring than to live with someone who doesn't care about food or eating or sharing meals.” 8 likes